KTM RC 390 First Service & Impressions?

Bagwell

Country flag
I am not sure the Valves are getting out of adjustment in the first 600 miles of use or not, but I do know many folks have found their valves to be out of spec at 600 miles. This could be due to them not being in spec in the first place or possibly run in and getting out of spec while break in.

From what one of the posters here said, it seems like there was a service bulletin issued that said the valve check has been pushed to later on in mileage, and it would be great to find out specifics about that. If KTM modified the initial valve check to later on it could possibly mean that our initial valve checks where the valves were out of spec may have been due to initial build specs not being set right or something.

I think the hardest part of the valve check is getting down to the valves. It is tight working quarters in there, but once you get it torn down its not a hard process at all. I also believe in using a high grade oil in these motors that only hold 2 quarts or less. So I dont mind spending more on oil for my little KTM.

stevieboy

Country flag
I agree that 600 miles shouldn't be enough to get the valves out of spec if they were correct to begin with. But then again I am a carpenter not a mechanical engineer so what do I know? I can get high quality oil that meets the manufacturers spec for way less than $18.00 a quart. Shouldn't affect warranty either as long as it meets spec.

simpletty

Country flag
TELL ME this fellas. I could probably drop the engine out of that bike in 35-40 min.
Head cover off, and valve adjust in ;less than 20 min. Engine back in and running in another 35-40 min. .thats under 2 hrs in my book, but pure speculation on my part. Ive only worked on jap inline 4's and the last R1 engine i had out was about 20 minutes and on the bench

EdL

TELL ME this fellas. I could probably drop the engine out of that bike in 35-40 min.
Head cover off, and valve adjust in ;less than 20 min. Engine back in and running in another 35-40 min. .thats under 2 hrs in my book, but pure speculation on my part. Ive only worked on jap inline 4's and the last R1 engine i had out was about 20 minutes and on the bench

Can the engine come out without disconnecting the exhaust and shock? If so, then I think your estimate is fairly reasonable. Then again, I suspect the dealership is training their mechanics at our expense. I know the bike is small and tight but the procedures to get to the valves should be the same as other bikes. Remove fairing, lift the tank, get to the engine, and it doesn't take the mechanics 4 hours to do that job on a R1 or GSXR (they got 4 times more valves ... ), simply because they have done it before.

What I would like to know is what KTM factory says valve adjustment job work hour is (I know mechanics say the numbers provided by factory is always off but only for comparison purpose ... ) for the RC390 vs say ... the RC8R.

Rcdan

Got mine back from first service today. Valves in spec , chain adjusted, some other small stuff. $349.23 and 4.3 hours labor. Mechanic put a note on the report that the valves were "buried pretty good". Not cheap but cheap insurance if I have a claim I guess.

stevieboy

Country flag
Buried as in hard to get at. He said clearances were n spec

I am not quite ready to do mine with the forced time off the bike and now the surgery is done my good hand is pretty much just along for ballast anyway. Other than the shims availability I think I will tackle it on my own over the winter. It looks as though I can do everything else by myself so why not?

zaster

Country flag
Had my first service done at $230. The technician said that there is no way to do it in the quoted two
hours.
The clearances were within recommended specs.

cornerslider

I do all my own maintenance, my dealer (that I have a long history with) won't void my warranty with me doing the work either. I can tell you first hand, that checking the valves is time consuming! Not the actual "checking", but GETTING to them takes time..... Mine were right in the middle of the spec. I'm glad I checked them @ 600 miles for "peace of mind". That being said, changing the shims (if/when they go out of spec) looks like it might be a tough job unless you have REALLY tiny hands. My personal opinion is that most of the things that get checked at the 600 mile check, could probably be checked by the owner? It doesn't take any special talent to do thinks like "check tires/fasteners/brake linings" These tasks take minimal time, and ZERO tools- the mechanic literally LOOKS at stuff.... My personal opinion is if you can get a dealer to do a FULL 600 mile check (including the valves) for $400-$450, you probably have a pretty fair dealer-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stevieboy

Country flag
Took my bike to my local Yamaha dealer with printed service manual/specs for valve check. $357.00. KTM dealer where I bought the bike quoted $400.00. All four valves were tight. Steering head was very loose. All three nuts holding cooling fan in place were MISSING. I shouldn't be surprised-KTM dealer warranty replaced the fan and I found one of the radiator spacers missing when I put the bodywork back on. And I bought another Yamaha since my dealer is such a great guy to do business with.

Last edited: