KTM RC 390 First Service & Impressions?

reenmachine

Country flag
Not quite there yet but I stopped in to my KTM dealer to ask some questions. They do not check the valves on the first service and they showed me the service bulletin from KTM saying to wait until 1000kms. If I wanted them to check the valves it would add about $400.00 to the $250.00 for the first service. I think that it is outrageous to charge that much for basically an oil change and I cannot see four hours to check the valves. I suppose I could be wrong though-it has happened before. I was also told that the warranty was retroactively changed from one year to two! I am going to have to investigate that one more.

I don't understand...1000km *is* the first service, isn't it? A lot of us did an oil change well before that to get all the debris out but I thought that 1000km was the factory specified first service point.

Also, the valve check is indeed that big a job. There's a lot of info on here about it.

tecknojoe

Country flag
all of that ^

also, don't pay the dealer to change your oil. It's very simple to do.

A valve check is part of the first service, which should happen at 600 miles. Do not skip it, there have been some bikes with valves out of spec.

Andy

Country flag
Just had my 1st service done, £164.40. That included the valve checks.

Bike seems better on the throttle now.

stevieboy

Country flag
I don't understand...1000km *is* the first service, isn't it? A lot of us did an oil change well before that to get all the debris out but I thought that 1000km was the factory specified first service point.

Also, the valve check is indeed that big a job. There's a lot of info on here about it.

Oops. They are saying the valve check isn't necessary until the second which is like 7xxx miles?

stevieboy

Country flag
all of that ^

also, don't pay the dealer to change your oil. It's very simple to do.

A valve check is part of the first service, which should happen at 600 miles. Do not skip it, there have been some bikes with valves out of spec.

I did plan on changing my own oil but according to my dealer and his info from KTM the check is NOT part of the first service. If I didn't know better I would think KTM was brand new to the business and this was their first year. In my line of work this is called a clusterfuck.

tecknojoe

Country flag
Your dealer is either just wrong, or they are jerking you around. You have to remember they're just a dealer and not officially KTM.

Call up another dealer and ask if they can send you a picture or email the factory service sheet. It's a checklist of all things that need to be done for every service interval. The valve check is listed in the first service at 600 miles. Your dealer may be trying to ef you out of more money by telling you it's not included.

I'm on your side here. I'll see if I have the printed service sheet at home that i can post later today.

EdL

Just dropped the bike off for first service. The estimate is $650. Son of a ... that's 10% of what I paid for the bike. If it wasn't for the warranty, I would do all the work myself. It's not hard, it's just time consuming. But $650 ... kinda pissed right now.

stevieboy

Country flag
Your dealer is either just wrong, or they are jerking you around. You have to remember they're just a dealer and not officially KTM.

Call up another dealer and ask if they can send you a picture or email the factory service sheet. It's a checklist of all things that need to be done for every service interval. The valve check is listed in the first service at 600 miles. Your dealer may be trying to ef you out of more money by telling you it's not included.

I'm on your side here. I'll see if I have the printed service sheet at home that i can post later today.

Not sure how the dealer could be trying to get more money out of me by telling me its not required? Maybe if it was a flat fee for the service and they were leaving things off the list of work to be done but it sounds like everyone is paying solely based on hours needed so that would change based on the amount of work that was done.Yeah, there's no way I would pay $250.00 for an oil change and fastener check! I really like riding the bike but every other aspect borders on bizarre.

tecknojoe

Country flag
Now I think I get it.

Your bike is in for warranty work well before the 600 mile mark, correct? In that case you're basically getting a free oil change because they have to drain it anyway. Then, whenever you DO reach the 600mile mark, that's the first service interval. Your valve check is necessary at that point.

stevieboy

Country flag
Now I think I get it.

Your bike is in for warranty work well before the 600 mile mark, correct? In that case you're basically getting a free oil change because they have to drain it anyway. Then, whenever you DO reach the 600mile mark, that's the first service interval. Your valve check is necessary at that point.

Nope. Just the first service. And I sure as hell am not going to pay $650.00 plus for that first service. I did pick up an oil filter and I see where part of the high cost is. $18.00 for a quart of oil! F--- me! I will use Yamalube!

Last edited:

stevieboy

Country flag
I believe the two screens are metal and can be cleaned and reused. At least that's what the owners manual states. I'm not getting hosed for reusables.

Andy

Country flag
Bod in the shop says on paper the valve check is a four hour job, but they manage to do it in two.

He also said basically we are developing the bike as by 2017 the valve checks will be in line with other manufacturers who have theres later on in the service schedule.

Think my service today was about $230!

stevieboy

Country flag
Its just that I am not used to getting so much contradictory information about something that should be pretty straight forward. Check the valves. Yes? No? Who really knows? And $650.00 for an oil change, adjusting (maybe) four valves and checking fasteners and cable operation is just ludicrous.

Metals 907

I agree. I could see myself taking 4 hours + to accomplish this task ( not including cool down). I would expect the shop to be more competent.

Treachery

Country flag
It took my dealer well north of six hours to do the first service. The learning curve is pretty steep, and access isn't good. If they've done it before, they may have the time down, but there are a lot of checks on the list.

stevieboy

Country flag
I found a number for KTM customer service and supposedly they can tell you exactly what warranty you have based on the last four digits of the VIN. Surgery this morning and then plenty of time to make phone calls. I will keep you posted. Maybe they can even give a definitive answer on the valve check thing?

tecknojoe

Country flag
Here is your definitive answer straight from the workshop manual. Like everyone is telling you, it's required at 600 miles, ie - the first service.

njOKJP2.png

stevieboy

Country flag
Yep. Same as in the owners manual. Only my dealer has a different schedule. Maybe I will take a poll and average. By the time I figure it out I may have saved enough to be able to afford it.