KTM RC 390 First Service & Impressions?

ktme

Hi everyone,

I am now glad to say I am officially a registered owner of a KTM RC390.

Currently, I have tac'd +300 miles on the bike and will need my first service at this time.

What are your impressions of the first service and what are the fees you paid?

I understand this service is a good point to change oils, check valves, and fuel ratios to make sure they are clean and consistent.

At this early in the phase of ownership, are there others that went on to install exhaust, slipper clutch/quickshifter, & Bazzas/Powercommander?

Rcdan

First service scheduled for next week

I was quoted around $150-200 for for the first service. I was very clear that I wanted to know the valve clearances after they were checked. I will post with the actual cost after it is done. And I do plan on the airbox mod and a powercommander after the first service is done.

reenmachine

Country flag
I was quoted around $150-200 for for the first service. I was very clear that I wanted to know the valve clearances after they were checked. I will post with the actual cost after it is done. And I do plan on the airbox mod and a powercommander after the first service is done.

You're in for a very rude awakening then, unless you get a firm price (not estimate) in writing prior to the service. Do a forum search and you'll see that checking the valves is seriously time consuming and costs many people several hundred dollars. The only way I can see that you could have possibly gotten a price like that is if the dealer didn't even check what the KTM book time is for it and just thought, "it's a single, how hard can it be?"

Rcdan

I was surprised how low the estimate was. And yes they are new at Ktm's having just started carrying them. And admitted to being unfamiliar with servicing the rc. I do want the first service on record as it seems very possible that I may need to use my 24,000 mile warranty :( So if it is even double that estimate I will suck it up this time.

jjtard

My dealer quoted me $450...Austin TX

EnergyHOU

Paid $315 for mine, no valve check, dealer recommended skipping valve check until second service (which has since been done, and still didn't require valve adjustment) because of the 4 they had done prior, none needed adjustment.

Bagwell

Country flag
Wow!: I have heard of so many needing adjustment. I think 3 of my 4 needed adjustment, and I did it at 1200mi. I did my own first service and valve adj though, so I cant quote price. If someone does their valve adj, it uses 10mm shims, not 9.5mm. :)

Metals 907

I plan to do the valve check @ the 2nd service. I have 2500 miles since purchase in may. While I had to do an initial chain adjustment @ approximately 300 miles and again last week at just over 2.2k Mi.
Like others I have broken one of the Fed seat catches due to nor paying enough attention when reinstalling it.
This thing is a total jekyll and Hyde depending on where in the rpm range it is ridden.
I have noticed some small problems such as fragile paint on the gas cap. ( chipped mine with the gas pump nozzle several times regardless how careful I've been.)

jjtard

Wow!: I have heard of so many needing adjustment. I think 3 of my 4 needed adjustment, and I did it at 1200mi. I did my own first service and valve adj though, so I cant quote price. If someone does their valve adj, it uses 10mm shims, not 9.5mm. :)

Exactly what my dealer said....each bike they've done (1st service) needed to replace shims....all were on the tight side.

simpletty

Country flag
Exactly what my dealer said....each bike they've done (1st service) needed to replace shims....all were on the tight side.

I guess there is a silver lining to my cloud in regards to my first service....the engine is coming apart so i have a feeling that they will hopefully do a valve adjust when they put the engine back together saving me not only the oil and filter change, but also having to pay for the valve adjust I am going to call in tomorrow and ask if they are checking clearances on the valves during re-assembly. Sorta makes sense to do so

Dygear

It was 291 for my first service, in NYS. Not a single problem before, not a single problem after.

jjtard

It was 291 for my first service, in NYS. Not a single problem before, not a single problem after.

Glad to hear....I have the 2016 with only 450 miles and I'm somewhat nervous. Seems like more unhappy owners than happy. I hope KTM has "addressed" some of these issues with the 2016. Guess only time will tell:confused:

Metals 907

Unhappy owners will tell everyone everything wrong with it. Happy owners are too busy riding ( I think).
Many expect high end ktm quality on a budget bike and are disappointed. Others of us know what we're getting into and happily fix the deficiencies that niggles us.

ratlab

got 800 miles on mine-600 mile service was 450.00 and valves were in spec.i put in engine ice and an aftermarket radiator cap.so far so good.

Andy

Country flag
My first service coming up, at last, bought it back in September!!

Anyway I'm loving it, got me some TYGA and R&G goodies too. I was worried initially as it's my first small bike in many many years and I actually chose it over a 30 Anniversary ZX10!!

Problems well only the lack of adjustment on suspension (future project) screen (too low but fixable), crap mirrors (they are coming off) and the snatchy throttle at very low speed (hoping the Domino will help once fitted).

Apart from that some niggles and questions over why certain things were done but no very happy.

Csorin

I've only got 200 miles on my bike but that's about half track miles. Thing is a beast.

You'll find like others have already said that forums are going to be skewed towards negative ownership experiences. This is not representative of the product at large. Pissed people are vocal. Happy riders are riding and trying to ignore the nightmare stories[emoji12]

stevieboy

Country flag
Not quite there yet but I stopped in to my KTM dealer to ask some questions. They do not check the valves on the first service and they showed me the service bulletin from KTM saying to wait until 1000kms. If I wanted them to check the valves it would add about $400.00 to the $250.00 for the first service. I think that it is outrageous to charge that much for basically an oil change and I cannot see four hours to check the valves. I suppose I could be wrong though-it has happened before. I was also told that the warranty was retroactively changed from one year to two! I am going to have to investigate that one more.

Chris The Welder

stevieboy; I was also told that the warranty was retroactively changed from one year to two! I am going to have to investigate that one more.[/QUOTE said:
I'd like to see that warranty info in writing. My RC is 18 months old and I haven't had any problems yet, but it would be reassuring to have another 10 months of coverage. maybe a phone call to the dealership is in order.