LED turn signal flasher

cornerslider

Hello all, I'm planning on replacing my stock signals with L.E.D. signals. I have never owned a KTM before, and honestly don't know much about them (I just ordered a 2016 RC390). I have used an inline LED flasher relay made by "DRC"in the past. I was designed to be used in a Suzuki DRZ400. I have used that same relay in a Husqvarna SMR450R, and a Yamaha R6. It worked fine in all the bikes I've tried it in. Has anyone ever tried anything like that in an RC390?

Diploman

I could not find anything in the official KTM 390 parts manual that was labelled "flasher relay". That said, I am certain that there must be one in the wiring harness somewhere. The non-North America 390 models worldwide (both variants) all are fitted with LED turn signals. An LED flasher relay will also work with incandescent bulbs (although a traditional flasher relay for incandescent bulbs will not work with LED bulbs.) I believe your new bike will come already equipped with a flasher relay that will operate the LED turn signals you are planning to fit. Suggest you wait to see if this is so before buying an LED flasher relay you may not need.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Spare Parts Finder

From the KTM parts finder, I have posted on another thread or two...

90511030000 FLASHER RELAY
( LED 3 wire version)

90511030000 is listed for the 2016 > RC 390 WHITE ABS CKD (CO) > WIRING HARNESS
(I believe this to be incorrect as this also shows euro style LED signals)

90511530000 FLASHER FOR BULB TYPE BLINKER
(2 wire version) Like the description says, this is what is on North American models

Hekimpd

This is another change I'll be making as well. If anyone does this successfully please post it. Thanks!

fs1ephil

Why do you get non led flashers or indicators as we call them in the UK.
We get nice little led flashers as standard, why would ktm do that. You really get the short end of the stick over there.

psych0hans

Country flag
Why do you get non led flashers or indicators as we call them in the UK.
We get nice little led flashers as standard, why would ktm do that. You really get the short end of the stick over there.
I believe it's some kind of regulatory issue in the US, they prohibit LEDs from being used or something of the sort.

cornerslider

Once I get my bike, I'm going to try the same "DRC" flasher that worked in my other bikes. I will post a link for where to purchase/how to install when I have it working-

D. Flynn

I installed the European LED's (stalks) on a USA bike and added the LED lights in the turn signals. I had to change all of the connectors (they didn't match and wouldn't fit when I unpinned them) and run wires from the mirrors to the other front turn signal stalks and tie them together. I ordered a OEM euro flasher, but it was a 3 wire instead of a 2 wire (not very good at electrical). I ended up ordering a 2 wire flasher for LED's and everything works

Hekimpd

Flynn, where did you get the relay? If you used a two wife relay, did you still have to rewire the t/s? I just want to change out the crappy incandescent bulbs.

Fasteddy

Country flag
FWIW,

To use the OEM flasher you need to add a ground wire to pin 2, the middle, brown wire to pin 1 orange to pin 3, as you view the flasher from the bottom looking at its pins with the lock tab on the right side pin 1 is at the top.

KTM did make an adapter harness at one time but I have never been able to find one, it came in a kit for converting the 990 / 690 to LED indicators.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Correct, I do away with the shell, unpinned the org. and brn. wires and used a mini push on crimp for the ground (car speaker size). I have all four OEM indicators, not LED front incandescent on back, when all done... I have had it all wired up and working on the bench and will be putting it on the bike probably this weekend as I should have the covers for the holes in the fairing tomorrow if UPS delivers, along with other assorted swag...

Hekimpd

Would you mind posting up some images as you do the install? Then I can just plagiarize your work. ;-)

Fasteddy

Country flag
I was just thinking that same thing, going over it in my head like any other project making sure I haven't forgotten something. The first thing I need to do is tidy up the garage....

cornerslider

I was hoping that might be the case. I'm not very good at electrical, but always managed to get the "DRC" LED flasher relay to work. I'll try the "plug-and-play" method first. Thanks-

Fasteddy

Country flag
So I started pulling the fairings off today, and as I was looking at what my plan of attack would be I realized that both left(green) and right (gray) wires for the signals are routed almost to the mirror because they both go to the combo instrument, which is actually how the wiring diagram shows the connection. So that should make getting the fronts connected a bit easier...

D. Flynn

I got the relay from MNNTHBX, because I knew it was a 2 pole. I had to rewire because the connectors didn't match and because I used hot stalks and mirror signals in the front.

Hekimpd

I got the relay from MNNTHBX, because I knew it was a 2 pole. I had to rewire because the connectors didn't match and because I used hot stalks and mirror signals in the front.

Have any pictures by chance? I'd appreciate to see how you put it all together.

JoeDini

Hi everyone...i am new user here. As per my own experience with my vehicle to use the OEM flasher you need to add a ground wire to pin 2, the middle, brown wire to pin 1 orange to pin 3, as you view the flasher from the bottom looking at its pins with the lock tab on the right side pin 1 is at the top.KTM did make an adapter harness at one time but I have never been able to find one, it came in a kit for converting the 990 / 690 to LED indicators.

impedance controlled printed circuit boards

Last edited: