Looking into an RC

benny

Hey everyone, new here. I've been looking into getting an RC for a while now but I'm so afraid of the reliability issues this bike has. Unlike most people here I won't be tracking it (no nearby track lol) I'll mostly be using it for around the city, some twisties, and trips to other cities within driving distance. The basics. Currently I'm looking at a 2015 with 8.7k miles that has had none of the issues yet but doesn't have the service records to prove it. There was an original owner who sold it to a dealership, was bought by someone else who sold to the person that is selling now. So it has been around a bit for a 2015 bike imo. Or another 2015 with 6.2k miles from the original owner that has blown the head gasket and had it repaired by KTM Canada, they added the 2017 fan as well, and the owner added Ice coolant to it. I'm not really sure if bikes with blown gaskets tend to reblow them, or if they are usually solid after the repairs?

So I'm not sure which is the safest bet for me, they both look very clean and run well for now. I want to keep the bike for awhile so I'm not sure if I should even get the rc, I don't want to end up having to repair it every season or what have you. I read a comment about KTM having new parts, are those helping at all?

D

Deleted member 452

Use the search feature on this forum and on the Duke 390 forum and you'll see head gaskets are an issue. My bike went through 2 of them before the motor was completed ruined at 13K miles so I had to replace my motor right after my warranty expired. I went through the new motor that only had 100 miles on it with help from Chad at Welcome to KTM Performance and so far... so good after 9K miles.

Antrc390

Iv got 2015 390 8000 miles on it no issues at all I added a.after market ecu to sort the running lean out witch also bort down the engine temps i fitted different rad cap apart from that it’s standard never had any problems with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djwille88

Country flag
I'm at 8000 miles as well. Other than a wiring issue that might have been induced by me and a cracked air filter box #90206001044 that was covered by my warranty no other issues. I'm also running the after market rad cap and engine ice as coolant.

IMG_3114.jpg