Minimum Mods for Track Days

thisisbenji

Just curious, what do you guys think the minimum mods are to get the RC390 track day ready?

Obviously you can just roll it off the show room floor and run it, but is there anything that's so bad it needs to be fixed asap?

psych0hans

Country flag
Suspension. That's it. :p welcome aboard buddy!

and maybe a quick turn throttle, but only if you want a super fast WOT, you know you do... :p

fos373

Well, you should drop the coolant and replace with water for a track day. I'm not sure where you're going, but most tracks I've been on require water as coolant is slick and a pain to clean up should you be the jackhole who wrecks and leaks coolant on the track.

rick

Most track day orgs will have their rules listed. Sometimes it's just taping off the lights and pulling the fuse for them. Sometimes there's safety wire or water wetter involved.

To me, the biggest improvement you can make on any bike is with suspension and tires. The RC is no exception ...particularly with regards to the suspension.

thisisbenji

My organization doesn't require water for coolant, at least not in my group.

Suspension for sure helps, but is it necessary? Also, is there a cheap alternative to spend thousands that would get it 95% there? I know I could splurge on the WP Cup bike suspension, but maybe I'd like to do something more economical?

Does the RC390 have any issues with the stock rear sets scraping?

big_sur

If you haven't been before, just spend your money on track days until you get to the point where you start dragging parts. Then rearsets and rear suspension would be up there on the list. You will get much faster spending money on track time rather than parts.

ArkansasDave

Absolutely nothing is NEEDED to do track days on the rc390

here is a list in order I would do them.

Coolant to water/water wetter
brake pads and fluids
fluid bearing belly pan
suspension(any option besides wp from a cup bike)
tires

after that it's whatever your heart desires.

thisisbenji

If you haven't been before, just spend your money on track days until you get to the point where you start dragging parts. Then rearsets and rear suspension would be up there on the list. You will get much faster spending money on track time rather than parts.

Nah, I've been there before. The reason I ask is because with my current bike, 2009 FZ6, I was very limited in how fast I could go before I got rearsets. Once I got rearsets I got considerably faster.

I actually tend to have my foot maybe a little bit too far out on my pegs causing it to hit the ground before the pegs. I've tried scooting it in but it hurts my ankles.

IMG_0009.JPG

See how I kind of have an angle with my foot and it's on the outside of the peg? That typically causes my foot to hit long before the peg would scrape anyways. I'd just rather know ahead of time if that'll happen on the RC390.

Obviously I'd rather spend money on track time than on parts. I just know that when I had my 2009 Ninja 250R I definitely ran into problems with the stock rearset location.

Last edited:

rick

Heh, I position the end of my foot similarly. I just cut the pegs shorter. ..and shorter ..and shorter.
I tend to wear out boots by borrowing a hole throught them from the end of the peg. Keeping a spare set of toe sliders in the spares bag was a good idea.

Like everyone said, there's nothing that has to be done to track it. You'll make whatever changes as you need 'em eventually.
I really want to do something about that bouncy shock but, if I found myself at a track tomorrow I'd very happily ride it as hard as I can just the same.

Last edited:

ArkansasDave

To gain more clearance and get a better geometry you can lower the forks in the triple clamps. Anywhere from flush to 5mm is a good start. The rear needs to be jacked up as well but without an aftermarket shock you can't do that.

psych0hans

Country flag
My organization doesn't require water for coolant, at least not in my group.

Suspension for sure helps, but is it necessary? Also, is there a cheap alternative to spend thousands that would get it 95% there? I know I could splurge on the WP Cup bike suspension, but maybe I'd like to do something more economical?

Does the RC390 have any issues with the stock rear sets scraping?

Sorry for the really short reply earlier. For the front, switch to slightly heavier oil and a straight rate spring correct for your weight. For the rear, buy a used 1999-2002 Yamaha R6 shock and have it rebuilt. and then use this thread as a reference to install it. You'll need a really heavy spring for it, as this shock doesn't have a linkage. That, I think, is the cheapest way to go ahead. Good luck!!!

P.s. also change brake pads... Forgot about that one... ;)

micahpearlman

P.s. also change brake pads... Forgot about that one... ;)

If I was just going to take a bike off the showroom and have a "leisurely" track day -- nothing too aggressive and understanding that you will hit some limits with a relatively stock bike: The one thing I would absolutely change is brake pads -- this has been argued to death on the forums and there are a few who strongly disagree but with my experience was the stock brake pads on my bike where just horrid to the point of dangerous. Second would be tires -- again there is some differing opinions on stock tires but my experience were the stock tires are scary on the track and just seem to let go for me with only moderate aggression. Third would be rear shock with ride height -- it's fairly unanimous that the rear shock is total crap and ground clearance is an issue with the stock geometry. Fourth would be rear sets -- ground clearance.

thisisbenji

If I was just going to take a bike off the showroom and have a "leisurely" track day -- nothing too aggressive and understanding that you will hit some limits with a relatively stock bike: The one thing I would absolutely change is brake pads -- this has been argued to death on the forums and there are a few who strongly disagree but with my experience was the stock brake pads on my bike where just horrid to the point of dangerous. Second would be tires -- again there is some differing opinions on stock tires but my experience were the stock tires are scary on the track and just seem to let go for me with only moderate aggression. Third would be rear shock with ride height -- it's fairly unanimous that the rear shock is total crap and ground clearance is an issue with the stock geometry. Fourth would be rear sets -- ground clearance.

Okay.

1. Brake Pads
  2. Tires
  3. Shock
  4. Rearsets

I think I can handle that.

reenmachine

Country flag
I'll resurrect this old thread as I'm living this situation now. I've done my first two track days (ever) on it, and while there's still way more lap time to be found by spending my money on more track days than parts, I'd like to get started on the basics.

At this point I'd order it this way, and here's my reasoning:

1. Shock: I ran Streets of Willow yesterday and the tarmac is in pretty rough shape in a few areas. This served to demonstrate how easy it is to upset the feel of the bike.
2. Tires: I'm running the original Rosso IIs and they're about done. The rear steps out on me on corner exit sometimes, but probably because I'm not gentle enough with my throttle input.
3. Front pads: I'm one of the ones who's not appalled by the stock brakes, but I also don't yet have the confidence to go super deep on my braking yet.
4. Rearsets: Once I get to the point where I'm dragging parts I'll change my mind.

For some things, the suspension in particular from what I read on here, I probably just don't know what I'm missing since this is my first track bike. It was the same back when I used to race cars...I thought I was good to go and was on my merry way until someone experienced drove my car and declared the suspension rubbish. A few simple changes and the car, and my experience, were completely transformed.

I'm 155 lb. in my birthday suit, so probably 175 or so in my track gear. Maybe my weight is in the "not horrible" window for the suspension and brakes?

big_sur

It doesn't matter, the stock shock is junk. It's well worth the money to replace it; it makes the bike much more predictable and precise, and therefore easier to ride fast.

reenmachine

Country flag
It doesn't matter, the stock shock is junk. It's well worth the money to replace it; it makes the bike much more predictable and precise, and therefore easier to ride fast.

Would you recommend the modded R6 shock or should I just go all the way to Ohlins, JRi, or something? I only want to do it once.

Is the front end in less need of attention? Oil & appropriate straight rate springs or all the way?

psych0hans

Country flag
Would you recommend the modded R6 shock or should I just go all the way to Ohlins, JRi, or something? I only want to do it once.

Is the front end in less need of attention? Oil & appropriate straight rate springs or all the way?

Completely depends on your budget and goals. Formula390 has experience with both andhe claims while the R6 Shock is definitely an improvement over stock, he found the JRI unit to be even better by a good degree. We have vendors for both JRI(formula390) and Ohlins(hard racing) as sponsors, I'm sure they would offer you a pretty sweet deal if you got in touch.

for the front just a respring and new oil should be good. Try 7.5 or 10w depending on your weight. I'm opting for the other extreme by installing RC8 forks which slot in without much work, but would also need new springs and oil as they would be way oversprung. The RC8 forks will also allow for much better brembo brakes. Then there is also the cartridge kit supplied by andreni.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

ASM

As mentioned, there are several options depending on your budget and what you are after. Call Chad (cjwell) and discuss. I think he is an authorized Ohlins and WP service center and also knows his way around JRI...

green_bread

Country flag
We have vendors for both JRI(formula390) and Ohlins(hard racing) as sponsors, I'm sure they would offer you a pretty sweet deal if you got in touch.

I can confirm this, for sure! HardRacing already has their prices set as low as possible, so I doubt they can offer much of a discount. Their prices are already pretty decent and they do a lot to help the community with detailed installation videos, etc. Good company to support, for sure.

I just picked up a JRi shock through my local dealer, but he works with Formula390. Out of respect for both of those guys, I wont say what I paid for the shock. I will just say that it was WELL below the $900 price they are listed for!