Muffler, rear shock and heat soak

A1VW2NV

Country flag
The other day as I was wiping road grime off my rear shock after a good ride, I damned near burnt my hand on the stock suitcase of a muffler. That got me thinking, the rear shock is nearly on top of the muffler and all the heat coming off has to go somewhere! I felt the spring and it was hot as well. I am curious if the heat soak from the muffler is going to be enough to cause problems? Are the aftermarket pipes as hot near the shock? I will eventually be making or having made a rear muffler/can, but until then....

mr-fabricator

Yes they do get hot but my rear stock shock is holding up remarkably well , i do regular track days in the high 30's deg C. Did one at 42 degC !!!

Wrapping the exhaust didnt actually do that much in my opinion and immsure without a tune the increased exhaust gas velocity may throw things out a little

Regards lee

Rc390behr

I would not rap your headers, because of many issues of voiding your warranty because it degrades your pipes because the heat can't be released and than cant cool the metal, even though it cools the area around it, it will also destroy your pipes, as it did with mine in about 2 months of low rpm use. Also KTM will not warranty your engine also because of the fact that the gas inside the pipe reacts faster and sucks more air into the engine and runs it very lean and runes it, so be carful if someing happens and take off the raps.

s30series

I would not rap your headers, because of many issues of voiding your warranty because it degrades your pipes because the heat can't be released and than cant cool the metal, even though it cools the area around it, it will also destroy your pipes, as it did with mine in about 2 months of low rpm use. Also KTM will not warranty your engine also because of the fact that the gas inside the pipe reacts faster and sucks more air into the engine and runs it very lean and runes it, so be carful if someing happens and take off the raps.

Its past the two month mark, and 3000 miles later, the pipe is fine.

If the pipe is made of shitty metal than wrapping it is not good. The pipe that is wrapped is 304 stainless steel....so I'm not worried