New Bike

A1VW2NV

Country flag
What exhaust are you getting? I wouldn't mind an exhaust bike I like the look of the exhaust integrated into the bellypan.
This is my dilemma as well. I really like the hidden exhaust look and would like to remove a few pounds. However I have yet to see anything available in the aftermarket.

guzz46

This is my dilemma as well. I really like the hidden exhaust look and would like to remove a few pounds. However I have yet to see anything available in the aftermarket.

I'm hoping it will only be a matter of time before someone makes an aftermarket muffler that sits in the belly pan, I'm guessing the standard muffler with the catalytic converter would be quite heavy, and probably quite restrictive too.

guzz46

Ok Fitted the new pipe - It is a" Fuel" Oval Carbon Body with carbon end . Looks great

As for removing the original pipe it certainly does not just drop out - The trick is to remove all the bolts (Obvious) and wriggle the pipe from side to side to loosen it all at the join - then lightly pry the tabs on the pipe where it connects to the header pipe with the old l technical screwdriver tool !!!

Wriggle the connection as far back as you can until the muffler touches the swing arm and this is where I got stuck !!
It needs to come back around a further 5 mm before letting go - Finally I figured it - just push down on the rear suspension and at all seems to sort of drop out. As for putting the original back in - Good luck with that :)

Fitting the new pipe was pretty straight forward .

Verdict - The original muffler weighs a ton - I have not weighed it but it is damn heavy compared to the after market one . At first the new pipe looked a little strange as it leaves a large gap between the swing arm and motor but I got used to the look very quickly .

I did like the look of the original meaning not sticking out the side but as soon as I started the bike and went for a ride I was sold - It smooths out the bike completely and easier to ride at lower revs In my opinion it transforms the bike and now sounds and goes as good as the RC looks .

Did the bike go any better? accelerate any faster? when I removed the catalytic converter on my husky the bike was noticeably quicker, but it did have 20,000kms worth of carbon clogging it up, I also would of thought the bike would need a new map for the new exhaust, maybe not?

guzz46

I gotta check with Hans over at HMF to build an exhaust that stays under the belly pan. I let him borrow my RC51 to use as a pattern back in the day.

That would be great if they made a belly pan muffler for the RC, I would buy one for sure, I brought a HMF muffler for my husky off ebay, its a well made muffler, and quite cheap too.

Yes the bike is better al round I can now breath as the original is very restrictive compared to the new pipe - As for mapping the pipe is advertised as no mapping required so I have gone with that for now.

If someone does make an aftermarket pipe that sits in the belly pan I would consider it but there was no way I was going to wait and are very happy with the results and I am already used to the look and I now think it looks better but just my bias opinion .

The pipe is very well made and if you are looking to save weight ditch the original it is heavy as.

guzz46

Is this your exhaust?
KTM_RC390_Diablo_Black_Stainless_Mini_Exhaust.jpg
It actually looks pretty good from that angle, I'm in two minds as to which looks better now, does yours have the baffle installed? Or have you removed it?

Yes this is the beast I have a carbon exhaust body also -

I purchased to so called road legal version and yes I have the baffle in - I am thinking it would be a bit load with it out - The you tube sound clip that goes with this pipe does not do the pipe justice as it sounds way better in real time a very barky snappy sound

Now that it is fitted I do not think I would want to go back to no pipe out the side it makes the bike look more roady now - Hope this helps? or confuses thing more! Cheers

guzz46

I just got an idea, what about an this one, a GPR Powercone
sitgprduke29.jpg
Its for a Duke 390, but as far as I can tell it should fit, the header should be the same, and the exhaust mount appears to be in the same place, I think it looks a bit odd, but on the RC the belly pan would cover the bottom part of the muffler anyway, I think it should line up in the belly pan, I'm curious.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bc9sqwp53fbxfwi/7PVT02RupR[/video]

Last edited:

guzz46

So I went for my first open road ride on the weekend, with no hills, just straight and flat the whole way, I sat on about 100kmh-110kmh for most of the way, which is about 6000rpm, and I did 220km on 7.2 liters.
That's about 30 km/l, so I could do 280km on a tank with that sort of riding, that's pretty good range for such a small tank if you ask me.

guzz46

I took the risk and brought the GPR Powercone exhaust for the Duke 390, and it fits quite well with some slight modifications, the included bracket lined up with the bolt for the footpeg which happens to fit flush to the frame, but I needed it to protrude so I could attach the exhaust mount to it, so I brought a longer bolt and it worked,like a charm.
Next I had to cut a little bit from the bottom of the bellypan in order for it to fit, because it didn't line up where the original exhaust did, some tin snips did the trick quite nicely.

I first tried it with no baffles, but that was way too loud, so I put both baffles back in, I think it goes a bit better with the baffles in for some reason, maybe it likes a little bit of back pressure? but it feels like the bike goes better now, like the engine can breath better, it may have lost just a little bit of little torque from the midrange and gained more power higher up in the revs, or it may just be that the increase up top makes the midrange feel just a tad weaker, without a dyno there's no way to know for sure, but one things for sure, it pulls better down low now, you can leave it 5th gear at 55kmh and open the throttle and it pulls without protest, it obviously doesn't pull hard in 5th gear at that speed, but it pulls nice and smooth.

The bike feels more agile too, changing direction feels faster, and really precise, I've never had a bike that feels so precise, even when cranked right over you can pick the bike up and chose a different line with ease and speed, its really responsive, it almost feels like a toy, I even had a small power slide today, probably due to having less weight over the rear, because the stock muffler weighs 5.2kg, and the GPR weighs only 2kg, so in total I've knocked 10.2kg off the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20150324_172414.jpg
    IMG_20150324_172414.jpg
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 877
  • IMG_20150324_172338.jpg
    IMG_20150324_172338.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_20150324_172307.jpg
    IMG_20150324_172307.jpg
    928 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_20150324_171947.jpg
    IMG_20150324_171947.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_20150324_171932.jpg
    IMG_20150324_171932.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_20150324_171849.jpg
    IMG_20150324_171849.jpg
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 1,296
  • IMG_20150323_185424.jpg
    IMG_20150323_185424.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20150329_114845.jpg
    IMG_20150329_114845.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

guzz46

No, I simply bolted it on, they claim that no remapping is needed and I think they're right, its smoothed things out down low, it may go better with a high flow air filter and a remap, but that would require something like powertronics, which would probably void your warranty.

Having said that, my warranty could already be void, because the warranty book states that KTM is entitled to refuse to provide warranty benefits if the motorcycle has in any way been converted, modified or equipped with parts that are not part of the equipment expressly approved by KTM.

KxK

Nice. This would surely be nice to go with the alt belly pan - which is also probably lighter. The only thing about thst alt pan is it looks off with out the stickers and what not not.

Did you use any old bar end mirrors or did you have to hunt down specific ones, it's definitely one of the first modifications I'm doing.

Im digging this thread - I'll for sure be executing so,e of what you've done when I get mine (hopefully next week).

btw R&G makes mirror delete covers - unfortunately they are black and have a big ol white R&G logo.

Last edited:

guzz46

I just used any old bar end mirrors, I think I've knocked about as much weight off it as I can while still keeping it road legal, 10kg is a decent amount to knock off an already light bike.

ryandalling

IMG_7051-M.jpg

Bike is getting closer to race ready... still looking for a side stand kill switch... if anybody found something easy.