New rc390 cup owner

nino209

New and proud owner, I'm loving this thing. I will be racing it in the upcoming CVMA winter series.
I currently race a ZX10 so it will be a shock to the system, but I'm looking forward to tires lasting longer than one round.

micahpearlman

I currently race a ZX10 so it will be a shock to the system, but I'm looking forward to tires lasting longer than one round.

I went from racing a 600 to the RC. It's like running on a new track. Took some laps to work out braking markers (or lack there of) and to open the throttle WFO everywhere. I like that I'm really learning to get much more aggressive getting into corners and that brakes just slow you down. I think it will help out if I ever get back on the 600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micahpearlman

Also, there are some things about running a lightweight over a mid to heavy weight that you may learn about. Running on the side of the tires will effectively reduce your gearing which can change the strategy of how you exit a corner and what gear you choose entering a corner -- for example, choosing a taller gear and not standing the bike up but running the corner longer to stay in the power. Or that not tucking your elbows in as tight as they could down the straight is worth a few mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nino209

Thanks men, those are thing i honestly didn't know, i guess i will learn, i cant wait to get on the track.

ASM

I'm curious about the purchase process for the Cup. Did you buy new and have to present an AMA race license?

I think they fulfilled most of the AMA bike requirements I believe they will sell to NON AMA racers now.

Correct. I originally wanted to get the CUP bike but couldn't as I...uhhhmmm....am a little bit outside of their requirements. So, I went with the street one as a base for building the track bike. A couple of weeks later I heard that they are now opened the CUP bike to the general public. I sighed a little bit at that point...but I am quite happy with where I am going with the street bike... :cool:

Wicked Chicken

Correct. I originally wanted to get the CUP bike but couldn't as I...uhhhmmm....am a little bit outside of their requirements. So, I went with the street one as a base for building the track bike. A couple of weeks later I heard that they are now opened the CUP bike to the general public. I sighed a little bit at that point...but I am quite happy with where I am going with the street bike... :cool:

Yea, I'm in the same boat. CUP bikes are popping up for general public or it seems that way. Consolation prize - Street RC supposed to have tiny amount more Ponies than the "sealed" cup motor.

Wicked Chicken

New and proud owner, I'm loving this thing. I will be racing it in the upcoming CVMA winter series.

I'm building my RC for the upcoming CVMA series as well, looks like we may meet in glorious battle this fall. The Ninja competition last race set the benchmark in the mid 1.59's, you think the RC can match that pace?

UMZenki

I just bought the street RC to build for CVMA as well. Hopefully parts manufacturers are on the same timetable... so far it doesnt look like it.

Wicked Chicken

I just bought the street RC to build for CVMA as well. Hopefully parts manufacturers are on the same timetable... so far it doesnt look like it.

Snap! Hopefully there's gonna be a mob of RC's at CVMA this fall. I order all of my parts for the CUP build through the dealer in mid May. About 80% so far has trickled in and the wind screen just showed up today; still waiting on levers, lever guards and quick turn throttle.

Bagwell

Country flag
From what I understand about the power diff between CUP and street is that there is like a throttle body stop on the CUP that could be removed or replaced or something to make it equal to the Street. Correct me if Im wrong

ASM

Snap! Hopefully there's gonna be a mob of RC's at CVMA this fall. I order all of my parts for the CUP build through the dealer in mid May. About 80% so far has trickled in and the wind screen just showed up today; still waiting on levers, lever guards and quick turn throttle.

Tell me about it...KTM itself is pretty bad on their PP logistics. I have all the parts together, however, it took a while and I guess I got lucky to be in a region which seemed to have gotten the first wave of bikes...so whatever limited amount of PP was available, I lucked out on a couple of things through my dealer.

From what I understand about the power diff between CUP and street is that there is like a throttle body stop on the CUP that could be removed or replaced or something to make it equal to the Street. Correct me if Im wrong

You are correct - it can be (easily) removed.

nino209

I got lucky, i work for a ktm dealership and we just happen to get one, i had already put a deposit on the street model, when this one came in it was a no brainier and i got a hell of a deal on it from my boss

nino209

I'm building my RC for the upcoming CVMA series as well, looks like we may meet in glorious battle this fall. The Ninja competition last race set the benchmark in the mid 1.59's, you think the RC can match that pace?

i hope we can , it will be a dam shame if we don't haha!
is going to take some work for me to get used to this thing, i have been racing a ZX10 the past 2 seasons at CVMA and i run in the low 1:54s, but this is completely different
i hope i can figure it out quickly.

nino209

From what I understand about the power diff between CUP and street is that there is like a throttle body stop on the CUP that could be removed or replaced or something to make it equal to the Street. Correct me if I'm wrong

I spoke to KTM and yes that is where your extra hp are at, in that little plate remove it and boom extra horsepower.