Noob Question on shifting, where is neutral?

Arahant

Country flag
Hi Guys,

Beginner rider here... I'v only been riding for.. well I'v been out maby 5 times... probably a couple hours on my bike... I think my bike is at like 170-180KM's... never rode a motorcycle before this.

Anyways I'm getting the hang of it and having alot of fun, I was having problems before with when shifting from 1 to 2 it would sometimes go into neutral(still happens rarely but making sure I click it up solidly and with conviction seems to have stopped it from happening).

The problem I'm now having, is I can't find neutral. I havn't needed to find it before now. But there are some stoplights I come to that take forever, and my hand is hurting sometimes holding the clutch in the whole time waiting for the green to come... I know in my manual car I often shift into neutral at lights so I don't have to hold the clutch in and I can chill.....

Ok so I looked in the manual, it shows it as between 1 and 2(i'm seeing a pattern with me accidently going into neutral when I used to go from 1-2) so I know its in there somewhere but when I shift from 1 to 2 and back down, neutral doesn't come up anymore.

Am I suppose to do it without the clutch or something? Need some advice thanks guys.

onethump

Well first I want to say you should take a motorcycle safety/riding class. But anyways, neutral is between 1st and 2nd on all motorcycles as far as I know. Just a soft up when in first or a soft down when in second, with the clutch pulled as you would do when shifting. The neutral light will come on.

reenmachine

Country flag
I should probably hold my tongue, but I find myself baffled how someone without even the most basic knowledge of how a motorcycle operates can be out there on the streets. That's a recipe for disaster. Go take a class before you kill yourself, or worse, someone else!

Also, the information you seek is in the owner's manual, along with a bunch of other stuff you should know. Read it!

Ryanthegreat1

I would stay in gear while waiting at a light. Could save your bacon if you needed to jet out of the way for whatever reason.

You clutch hand will grow stronger.

Arahant

Country flag
I am taking a course this weekend.

@reenmachine: I find it baffling how you know that I lack all basic information on a how a motorcycle operates? I don't think not knowing how to shift into neutral is necessary for driving a motorcycle, if it is please let me know. I also find it baffling how you say read the owner's manual because the information is in there, after I said "Ok so I looked in the manual, it shows it as between 1 and 2(i'm seeing a pattern with me accidently going into neutral when I used to go from 1-2) so I know its in there somewhere but when I shift from 1 to 2 and back down, neutral doesn't come up anymore."

The owner's manual does not say how to shift into neutral, it just simple says the rotation, I'm suprised you would even say to look in the manual when you clearly havn't even done that yourself.

Did you seriously not read my post and then go onto lecture me without even knowing what your talking about? Please explain to me how not knowing how to shift into neutral is going to kill myself and everybody around me. Are you just having a bad day and felt better after unloading on me unnecessarily?

I am a new rider and I have been teaching myself how to ride along with what I'v read and seen on the internet, how to shift into neutral isn't something people go over because its not necessary to ride the bike safely/properly, I think if you had taken your own advice and held your tongue maby you would have realized that and maby thought back to when you were first riding.

Sorry if I'm being a dick but this is absolutely not what I need when I want some simple advice, that's the problem with the internet, doesn't matter what you say there is ALWAYS going to be someone who just wants to make themselves feel better at your expense.

Arahant

Country flag
And thanks onethump that was the answer I was looking for, you have to soft-shift it very lightly(I actualy found that out while experimenting at a stop light, but I had tried before and it didn't work, I guess I was always shifting to much like normal shifts).

I will try and hold the clutch in as much as possible, but there are a few lights here that are super long, they arn't your simple one side goes, the other side goes... there is like 4 individual light timers that are long.

Thanks guys

onethump

I am taking a course this weekend.

@reenmachine: I find it baffling how you know that I lack all basic information on a how a motorcycle operates? I don't think not knowing how to shift into neutral is necessary for driving a motorcycle, if it is please let me know. I also find it baffling how you say read the owner's manual because the information is in there, after I said "Ok so I looked in the manual, it shows it as between 1 and 2(i'm seeing a pattern with me accidently going into neutral when I used to go from 1-2) so I know its in there somewhere but when I shift from 1 to 2 and back down, neutral doesn't come up anymore."

The owner's manual does not say how to shift into neutral, it just simple says the rotation, I'm suprised you would even say to look in the manual when you clearly havn't even done that yourself.

Did you seriously not read my post and then go onto lecture me without even knowing what your talking about? Please explain to me how not knowing how to shift into neutral is going to kill myself and everybody around me. Are you just having a bad day and felt better after unloading on me unnecessarily?

I am a new rider and I have been teaching myself how to ride along with what I'v read and seen on the internet, how to shift into neutral isn't something people go over because its not necessary to ride the bike safely/properly, I think if you had taken your own advice and held your tongue maby you would have realized that and maby thought back to when you were first riding.

Sorry if I'm being a dick but this is absolutely not what I need when I want some simple advice, that's the problem with the internet, doesn't matter what you say there is ALWAYS going to be someone who just wants to make themselves feel better at your expense.

Knowing where neutral is IS basic operation of a motorbike. ANY motorbike. Take a class. Unless you want to f**k up your brand new bike.

micah360

reenmachine is not being an ass... he's telling it like it is. No need to take offense to it. You asked this question on an open forum... be prepared for truthful answers from experienced riders.

ryandalling

I'd say this is probably the most PC forum I've ever been on. That being said, everybody gets into motorcycles are different points in their lives and different knowledge levels. The class is the best option. Yes, neutral is between first and second. Feels like a half shift. Be safe and wear the gear.

Arahant

Country flag
Again, explain to me how not knowing where neutral is makes me a danger to myself and others, I didn't ask for opinions... I only asked how you shift into neutral. I didn't say he was being an ass, but he was definitely rude and unhelpful.

Also explain to me how not knowing where neutral is going to f**k up my bike? that doesn't make any sense, I'v put almost 300km on my bike since I got it less then a week ago, I'm doing just fine, I just wanted to know how to shift into neutral, I checked the manual it didn't help.

.... you seriously telling me the only people out there who learned how to drive a bike without killing themselves or hurting someone else only took a course? come on... and like I said I'm going to take a course this weekend, does that mean I can't ride untill then? and I can't ask a simple question in a forum on how something works without being slammed baselessly?

Arahant

Country flag
I understand that he's just telling it like he see's it, but he is wrong in this case(me not knowing how to shift into neutral doesn't mean anythiny) I'm sorry that I'm offended by what he said, but it was offensive to say I'm a danger to myself and other because I didnt know how to shift to neutral, he knows absolutely nothing about me or how well I ride, how could he? to say I'm a danger to myself and others is an inflammatory statement, its not a mild remark.

I know I'm new here and so no one is going to like me saying it like how I see it(its ok that he says it like he see's it of course), but if I don't say something then I'm just inviting more people to bash me baselessly, if you have some honest criticism that makes sense I'm honestly open to it, but everyone here know's that not knowing how to shift into neutral because you just started riding a week ago, doesn't make you a danger to yourself and everyone else around you. That's just a rude thing to say.

onethump

No offense, seriously, I'm just wondering how you got your motorcycle license. And i'm not asking that in a dick-ish way. Its just that shifting to neutral is such a basic first level motorcycling thing, that some people might be shocked when someone who says they are driving around on roads asks that. Its like someone asking how to shift into neutral in a car, after they've been driving on major roads.

reenmachine

Country flag
I'm sorry you saw that as such an attack and felt the need to strike back. Not what I intended. However, you're missing the point. No, not knowing where neutral is isn't going to create a public safety hazard. The point is that from the fact that you don't know this basic aspect of motorcycle operation one could reasonably infer that there are other basic aspects of motorcycle operation that you're also unaware of.

My response was also colored by the terrifying story of your motorcycle purchase and trip home in another thread (copied below).

That's all. Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad you're here seeking information. That's an important step. Take the class, wear your gear, and practice, practice, practice. All of the "problems" you've mentioned about the bike in other threads are due to technique and lack of experience rather than some flaw in the bike.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

Awesome parillaguy I bought my rc 390 just the other day there(mission cycle in angus)! I think it was the last one they had left. This is my first bike, and my first time being on a motorcycle, I had to drive home yesterday in the rain and fog, was raining really hard... was nuts lol.

The guys at the dealer thought I was crazy. But they were very good and helpful to me.. I did some low speed testing in the parking lot, not the mission cycle one but the one next door as it was bigger... yeah honestly when I first started it scared the crap out of me lol.

The bike is bigger then I thought it was going to be, and heavier, less agile. I mean this what I was thinking before ever getting on one. That it wouldn't be to big, or heavy, and would be relatively agile. Mind you I"m sure compared to a larger bike they are smaller/lighter/more agile, it was just abit of a shock to me as I'm 5"5 and weigh like 130-140lbs.

So yeah as I was driving it in the parking lot, I stalled it once and the bike came to a sudden stop and it fell over. Luckily the fairing didnt have a scratch on it but the clutch pedal snapped, and the tip of the clutch handle snapped to.

I parked it and went back inside and told them, I walked the bike back inside the shop.. they checked inventory online for the clutch pedal and they were in stock, so they took one off one of the other bikes, it might have been a duke. Luckily they had one or that would have been it for the day.

I still need to get a handle but I am going to order better ones.

So yeah I found it really scarey to drive for the first time, its really peppy down low and jerky as some others have described it, and because its all so new I'm worried of panicking and forgeting to brake, or sometimes when your arm is stiff when you start accelerating sometimes the acceleration causes you to kinda keep accelerating.. I don't know how to say it exactly but.. just some things you deal with as noob rider. I was feeling very apprehensive about riding all the way home to collingwood(about 60-70 km's) in the pouring rain. Eventually I just bit the bullet and went for it, I stalled it the first two stops I came to, but instead of panicking I just took my time. I found that once I was underway going at higher speed I felt alot more comfortable, and was easier for me to get comfortable with the bike and learn how to handle it.

I was having problems with my visor both fogging up, aswell as water sticking to the outside and not running off very well, even at 80+ kmph... the guy at the dealer said it would blow off once you get to a certain speed, the visor really wasn't doing that very well, I probably drove 2/3 of the way home looking out little tiny 1" gaps between big water drops and fog... I tried wiping with my hand but that didnt help much. I eventually discovered after coming to a stop about 2/3 of the way home, that the fog became alot less if I cracked the visor open abit, there is little vents on the top of my helmet that were clsoed because of it raining which also helps. I still have so much to learn but its great when your dealing with something and then discover a way of dealing with it that makes it so much easier.

It's only been less then 24 hours since I got my rc 390 and started the addictive hobby of motorcycle riding, but I am loving it so much, I can't wait untill I get more comfortable and profficient at riding that I don't feel so uneasy on the bike and more confident on how to handle it. I have a few problems with the bike that I think will be improved/fixed with some upgraded parts... I will be making a thread about that in another sub-forum.

Not sure where you live in ontario, but if you live not to far from me we should go riding sometime! I don't know any other riders, so need to meet some riding buddies to tear up the roads with.

ttyl

RobbiRob76

Holding the clutch the entire time while at the stop light is good way to prematurely allow the clutch to "slip" that is how it "F's" up your bike. You need to be less butt hurt, and listen to the guys trying to save your butt from injury and harm to your bike.. My 2 cents

Manbeard

What I think he means, and what I personally believe as well, is that a person who does not yet know that 99.9% of all bikes have neutral between 1st and 2nd gear, might wan't to examine the motorcycle, or read a manual or something, before taking it out on the road.
But have fun by all means, and stay safe. I personally agree with him, but in your situation I would be riding too (although finding out where the gears were located, was probably the first thing I got accustomed to when I road my first bike).

Biker

Country flag
Hey Arahant. First of all welcome to biking.
Just chill! The guys are just looking out for you. Not surprised by Reenmachines response as your first ride sounds terrifying but only bcos there is lack of experience.
All the best.

Treachery

Country flag
Welcome, Arahant, to the board, to the RC, and to motorcycling in general. I'll abstain from any practical advice, but will ask you and your respondents to temper your remarks. In other words, reread things a couple times before clicking "Post."

Arahant

Country flag
Thanks guys for your civil responses. I'm not going to address further comments past the ones I addressed earlier as I don't think it's going to lead to any positive dialogue. I still think everything I'v said so far is technically accurate. If your saying something about me that reflects information you've read in another thread, mentioning that will certainly help me understand where your coming from. So yeah, I shouldn't say anything else about that.

Sorry if I was to sensitive in my earlier comments, I guess one of my buttons was pushed unintentionally, I'm sure reenmachine is a nice guy, we'll just have to disagree about one specific thing he said... but I did and do agree about taking a course being a good idea, today was my second day at the course, tomorrow is the last, it has been very good and I'v learned alot. I am definitely safer rider now then I was before, was I a danger before? Ok I said I wouldn't go there anymore...

Also onethump, not sure where you live but in Canada it uses a graduated licencing system. There is m1, m2 and then full licence M. (same with regular licence, g1, g2, and full G). In both cases the first licence(also called a learner's permit) is earned by taking a written test. Once you write the test you get a licence and your allowed to ride on the roads right away.I have all my gear, I have insurance, I have what I consider to be a beginner's bike, I live in a fairly rural part of the province, you can't spend your whole beginning phase in a parking lot that wouldn't be practical, besides for liability reason's your not technically allowed to practice in a parking lot unless you have permission from property owner, and most will not give you permission, you have learn on the roads. It certainly would have been nice if I had known someone IRL that could have gone over some of the basics with me, but I don't... my decision to start motorcycling was my own and I'll have to meet people as I go.

As you will read if you read through my post about my first day on a motorcycle(copied above in other commenter's reply) I was shown the basic's (gear up 1-2-3-4-5-6, gear down 6-5-4-3-2-1, throttle/brake/lights from the mechanic at the dealer, enough to operate the motorcycle on the roads safely, atleast as safe as any beginner motorcyclist is going to be without any experience, which is the main thing. I also practiced abit in the next-door parking lot, but there wasn't alot of room and honestly it was safer on the road then in that small parking lot. The operation of a motorcycle is really quite simple in terms of the mechanical aspects, the harder parts is more about techniques.

Again thanks for the civil responses it helps me not to have to be so defencive when people are being mostly fair and civil.

Backmarker

Arahant, welcome to the world of motorcycles, It's a passion of mine and I hope it turns out that way for you. Enjoy and be safe.