Old man with a new bike

Hey all, I'm new to the RC390 world but I've been riding for about 22 years now. My only focus anymore is racing. I'm currently racing with CMRA in the Ultra-Light endurance series for the FMD/Race for the Wounded team. Before that, I raced a Triumph 675 with ASMA in Arroyo Seco raceway in New Mexico and actually stumbled my way into winning a championship somehow. Proof that enough second place results can win in the end.

I just bought a new to me 2015 RC390. I've already stripped the bike down to it's frame and I am in the process of building from the ground up with go fast goodies and bits. My goal is to have it race ready and competitive in three weeks before the next CMRA ULW round.

I'm here to learn as much as I can about the KTM and steal some insight from all you smart guys. I've had a chance to interact with a couple of the vendors and I am thoroughly impressed.

I'm ready to get this little bike kicking some ass!

38 going on 90. A couple of tours to Iraq and Afghanistan did a number on my knees and back. I sound like a cheap fireworks display when I stand up.

Andy

Country flag
Age is just number. Good thing about the RC is it keeps you young, like the 50's and 125's I knocked around on with bolt on goodies and trying to get elusive extra power!

And after all these years I thought I was a reasonably fast rider on big bikes but the 390 has made me look at how I ride and I've actually learnt more trying to ride this fast, it is actually quite scary!

I recommend to many to add a small bike to their collection.

I recommend to many to add a small bike to their collection.

I wish that I hadn't been such a squid when I first started riding. At that time there were only two bike sizes a "real man" would ride, 600 or 1000. The little bikes are great teaching tools, they are fun as all get out and they really don't force a rider to jump in the deep end right away. I love how the manufacturers are making really good, small bikes.

hvlmike

Country flag
I'm 61 and made the transition to smaller bikes a few years ago. Kinda miss the rush of a liter bike but I'm having a blast on my DRZsm and rc390 They're so easy to ride the piss out of...and sooo much cheaper on tires!.... (it's fun passing faster bikes in the corners too!)

Cheaper racing is a good thing. I raced a 675 for several years and the tire bill alone was brutal. I'm not sure about being 76. Do normal people live that long?