Questions: RC390 Cup vs RC390 Street Version

stover

Hi All,

Wanted to ask the group if anyone knew if KTM was placing restrictions on ordering the RC390 Cup (race version) bike (i.e. must be racing in the ADAC series, etc) I currently have deposit on a Cup bike primarily because I'd like to get the upgraded WP suspension and exhaust. I know the cup bike is rated at 38hp vs 44hp (street) but it looks like that is because of a throttle stop and ECU mapping. These should be changed/fixed fairly easily. Also, can anyone confirm that the Cup bike will come with a light kit/etc to make it street legal in the US?

Thanks for any input.

VAG944

My understanding was, you buy the street bike and buy the up grades which will be an additional $3000! I may be incorrect but I don't see why the factory would want to take on two builds on the same line.
Personally I want the front rotor, solo seat and suspension.

Treachery

Country flag
Hi All, Wanted to ask the group if anyone knew if KTM was placing restrictions on ordering the RC390 Cup (race version) bike (i.e. must be racing in the ADAC series, etc) I currently have deposit on a Cup bike primarily because I'd like to get the upgraded WP suspension and exhaust. I know the cup bike is rated at 38hp vs 44hp (street) but it looks like that is because of a throttle stop and ECU mapping. These should be changed/fixed fairly easily. Also, can anyone confirm that the Cup bike will come with a light kit/etc to make it street legal in the US?

Thanks for any input.

I understand the same thing you do about the "Cup" version, in that it's a factory race prep with the street bits included. That's from the ride report in Motorcyclist,'but I can't get any confirming info to that end. It'd be way cheaper than buying the PowerParts.

stover

My understanding was, you buy the street bike and buy the up grades which will be an additional $3000! I may be incorrect but I don't see why the factory would want to take on two builds on the same line.
Personally I want the front rotor, solo seat and suspension.

Hey VAG944,

Did the dealer tell you this information? I'd actually prefer if that was the case, but I was told that the Cup bike did have some slight modifications to the FI mapping/etc. (i.e. HP limit for ADAC Cup racing rules) I agree with your choice of add ons too. I'd like to see the street version offered with the upgraded forks/shock, rotor, tail section and exhaust too. Looks like all of that can be ordered via the ktm powerparts catalog. We'll have to wait and see.

guzz46

I asked my dealer if you could buy the adjustable suspension from the cup bike through KTM power parts, but he had no idea, all he said was that it wasn't showing on the power parts website.But if its costs $3000 I don't think I would bother, I'm not going to race it, and I think I would probably get better results by sending the forks into a suspension place to get tuned to my weight, that's if they even need it, they might be fine as they are.I also looked at the exhaust as a way to maybe squeeze out some extra HP, but I prefer the look of standard exhaust in the fairing, plus I think the Akrapovic has a catalytic converter too.

motoarch

The cup bikes will have a sealed motor from the factory. They also have reduced power and a throttle stop. Also they only plan to sell 500 of these state side for spec racing 14 to 22 year olds. All these things tell me it is very unlikely they will be selling this as upgrade kit to the floor models but rather produced and sold in full race trim with no street kit.

EDIT: I'm not sure where I got the limit of 500 so ignore that. Anyway here a link to an article that supports some of my above claims

KTM & MotoAmerica to Bring RC390 Cup to US - Motorcycle USA

How were you able to make a deposit on a cup bike anyway? My dealer has no info about any cup bikes yet. The release they got from KTM only informs them about the standard RC390 and the 390 Duke.

Last edited:

stover

How were you able to make a deposit on a cup bike anyway? My dealer has no info about any cup bikes yet. The release they got from KTM only informs them about the standard RC390 and the 390 Duke.

Myself and a friend sat down last weekend at the local KTM dealer and placed deposits on Cup bikes. The dealers understanding was that KTM will require a AFM/AMA/CCS/WERA/etc roadrace license to purchase the bikes but other then that the dealer said the Cup bikes could be ordered. To "race" in the ADAC/MotoAmerica series you need to be 14-22. We're a bit old for that so we plan to race in AFM on the west coast.

Last edited:

motoarch

So your dealer knows he can get the cup bike but doesn't know if it will have a street kit with it? Sorry I'm confused.

Treachery

Country flag
Yeah, me too, a little. I'd be interested in the cup version (for the brakes and the suspension), but I'd want it built as a street-legal bike. No interested if it's power/speed restricted though.

motoarch

I highly doubt there is anyway to make the cup bike street legal. It will probable have a 15 digit vin and even if it has a 16 it probable wont have a wiring harness needed to adapt lights and a horn.

Having the fork internals re-valved on the street version would be more cost effective then trying to make a cup bike street legal.

Treachery

Country flag
I see the contradiction. I suspect that Motorcyclist's lead time for the RC390 intro predated the MotoAmerica race series info. Everything I read tonight indicates what you're saying: Race only, power restricted (throttle stop)...and all the good bits. The original magazine article said this:

The competition bike includes race bodywork with an enclosed belly pan, fully adjustable WP suspension, a 320mm front brake rotor and more aggressive pads, an Akrapoviç slip-on muffler, race tires, and a slew of other race-ready tidbits...Best of all, the road-going parts are also provided.

They said the price diff was about 1000 Euro, or $1278; making it $6777. The Roadracing World online article said that the Cup version is $8900 in Germany.

I suspect the race-only version is more likely, and more expensive than MC​ guessed.

motoarch

Crazy I don't know that was published. They probable know better then me but seems odd. Would be cool though. If so I might be interested.

Treachery

Country flag
Crazy I don't know that was published. They probable know better then me but seems odd. Would be cool though. If so I might be interested.
Yeah, at $6777, me too. But at $8900, I'll follow your route and have the forks reworked and investigate an aftermarket shock. The bigger brake might be a tougher ask. Pads first.

VAG944

Good info guys......I just hope the Power Parts will let me spend too much $$ on an inexpensive bike!! LOL

Treachery

Country flag
This "Cup" thing continues to confound. The MotoAmerica RC390 Cup bikes are reportedly sealed and power/rev/throttle restricted. None of which interests me. there's also a price conjecture in the $10K range. Same reaction. But on one of the other KTM boards the discussion was that there may be the Cup bikes specifically for the series, and "Cup spec" bikes for civilians which will be convertible to street use, but have the good bits. The fog will clear at some point, I suppose.

kalleh

I've heard so many different things regarding he "Cup" version. My dealer told me that their KTM representative said that the Cup version would not be generally available. Depending on its configuration I might not be interested anyway since I would want to have an AFM "Production" legal race bike - very unclear i the cup version would qualify (rumor is that it has different front forks - illegal in prod).