Random electronics wonkiness

Wanderlust

Is anyone having problems with the instrument panel? I noticed that my clock was NOT accurate (running through about 2 hours every 15 minutes), and now it has actually stopped: at 4:44. This is not catastrophic, just an annoyance, but I will have to call the dealer on Tuesday and talk to them about warranty. :-/

And my right turn signal has died. I noticed as I was riding home this evening that the dash was awfully "quiet" (i.e., things not blinking and lighting up as they should). The left turn signal works, but the right is dead. No lights flashing on the bike, no icon lighting up on the instrument panel. When I got home I pulled it into the garage where it was quiet and turned on the lights, and I can hear the solenoid clicking for both left and right. So I don't think it's the switch. Don't know if something has failed further downstream, or if the service tech jiggled something loose while he was doing my break-in service (see the thread on valves for that story).

Hoping I am the only one and no one else is experiencing this?

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Well you're doing better than myself. After reading the manual, I still can't even get the clock to show!

Wanderlust

I suppose there's some Zen lesson here about the riding experience being so amazing that time stands still... or just simply ceases to exist at all.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Sounds like you've got something defective in your cluster. There's no way to turn that off, at least according to the manual or my random poking at the settings/controls. I'm actually annoyed to all get out that I can't 1) get it to show GALLONS (I don't give a rats furry ass what my miles per LITER is) or that it 2) ONLY shows military time.

micah360

yes... both of these things annoy the crap out of me too!

I'm actually annoyed to all get out that I can't 1) get it to show GALLONS (I don't give a rats furry ass what my miles per LITER is) or that it 2) ONLY shows military time.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

It seems to show a distinct lack of thought to changes to the bike necessary for the US market. All my other bikes, if they show that type of data, allow the choice between gallons and liters (which automatically switches when you switch between KPH and MPH), and choice between 12 and 24 hour clock. I mean really... you can't tell me that the conversion on the fly is going to tax the microcontroller. It's just abject laziness on the part of the firmware developers.

reenmachine

Country flag
Sounds like you've got something defective in your cluster. There's no way to turn that off, at least according to the manual or my random poking at the settings/controls. I'm actually annoyed to all get out that I can't 1) get it to show GALLONS (I don't give a rats furry ass what my miles per LITER is) or that it 2) ONLY shows military time.

It seems to show a distinct lack of thought to changes to the bike necessary for the US market. All my other bikes, if they show that type of data, allow the choice between gallons and liters (which automatically switches when you switch between KPH and MPH), and choice between 12 and 24 hour clock. I mean really... you can't tell me that the conversion on the fly is going to tax the microcontroller. It's just abject laziness on the part of the firmware developers.

It's the same on my 1190 Adventure, so even on a bike that costs 3x as much they don't pay attention to these details.

Treachery

Country flag
I'm actually annoyed to all get out that I can't 1) get it to show GALLONS (I don't give a rats furry ass what my miles per LITER is) or that it 2) ONLY shows military time.

It's the same on my 1190 Adventure, so even on a bike that costs 3x as much they don't pay attention to these details.

I was going to chime in and allow that perhaps KTM would fix the MPG issue with an on-the-fly firmware fix until reenmachine commented. The 24 hour time doesn't bother me anymore; seems like one of the BMWs is that way, but JeezLouise KTM, a $5 Walmart watch will switch between 12 & 24 hour time, so it can't be hard. But the fuel thing is just stoopid.

JKBC

Well you're doing better than myself. After reading the manual, I still can't even get the clock to show!
Haven't done this myself but here's the bit about setting the time and I'm supposing the time shows after when you have odo showing? (instead of trip 1 or trip 2)
set time.jpg

Wanderlust

Well, I disconnected the battery, took off the tank cover, and dug around in the fuses and relays. (Man is the space in there TINY. Even with my little hands I couldn't get anywhere near the fuses or half of the relays without taking off the tank cover.)

The clock is now working again (it's ticking over minutes anyway), but nothing I jiggled or unplugged and plugged back in has fixed the AWOL right turn signal. I guess the next step is to test the relay, and then the switch.

Wanderlust

Dealer has decided that the right front turn signal is bad. It apparently has a loose wire, because when they were taking it apart (as the last damn thing to check, because everything else was checking out OK) it suddenly came on, as did the turn signal icon on the dash. And just as quickly, the turn signal quit working again.

They are ordering me a new one, under warranty of course, be here in a week. In the meantime I get to use hand signals if I want to turn right (not like anyone in NM ever signals at all, for anything, but still, I'm sorta OCD and HAVE to signal).

Does anyone else think it's weird tho that a loose wire in one signal fixture should make the whole system go dead? Shouldn't the dash icon still light up, and shouldn't the right rear turn signal work anyway? I'm just wondering if this has something to do with the rewiring (or lack thereof) they did on the Euro signals, to put on the DOT signals. But it seems odd to me. Wonder if a dead bulb will put the whole system out too.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Dealer has decided that the right front turn signal is bad. It apparently has a loose wire, because when they were taking it apart (as the last damn thing to check, because everything else was checking out OK) it suddenly came on, as did the turn signal icon on the dash. And just as quickly, the turn signal quit working again.

They are ordering me a new one, under warranty of course, be here in a week. In the meantime I get to use hand signals if I want to turn right (not like anyone in NM ever signals at all, for anything, but still, I'm sorta OCD and HAVE to signal).

Does anyone else think it's weird tho that a loose wire in one signal fixture should make the whole system go dead? Shouldn't the dash icon still light up, and shouldn't the right rear turn signal work anyway? I'm just wondering if this has something to do with the rewiring (or lack thereof) they did on the Euro signals, to put on the DOT signals. But it seems odd to me. Wonder if a dead bulb will put the whole system out too.

Indeed the North American non LED version is different from the wireing diagram and the rest of the world. Just last night I started looking at converting over to the LED setup and have all of the OEM parts including the flasher unit. The first thing that jumped out at me is that there is only 2 wires going to the flasher on the our bikes, the LED version uses 3 wire.

To me this means that it is lust like most other motorcycles where if enough current does not flow through the flasher unit (bulb not connected / out) then no flashing. I can test this later this evening and let you know.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Indeed the North American non LED version is different from the wireing diagram and the rest of the world. Just last night I started looking at converting over to the LED setup and have all of the OEM parts including the flasher unit. The first thing that jumped out at me is that there is only 2 wires going to the flasher on the our bikes, the LED version uses 3 wire.

To me this means that it is lust like most other motorcycles where if enough current does not flow through the flasher unit (bulb not connected / out) then no flashing. I can test this later this evening and let you know.

So with front turn signals removed (fairings off) rear turn signal and indicator light both flash at rapid rate, both sides....

Wanderlust

Update: it's been 2 weeks since the dealer ordered me a new turn signal. I got antsy waiting and called today to see where it was, and they said they weren't expecting it for another week.

So I went grumping out to the garage to take my bike apart. Tank cover off, right fairing off, and disconnected the right front turn signal. And lo and behold, the rear turn signal and instrument icon now work!

I did notice however as I was taking off the fairing that the wire for the turn signal was crushed between the fairing and the frame. :-/ I cut out the bit of wire that was crushed and put the connector back on. Then I took out the bulb, popped the reflector out of the housing, and jiggled the wires. Everything was connected.

Hooked the signal up to the bike, and lo and behold, it works just fine.

Wondering if it was not working because the service tech crushed the wires putting the bike back together after the break in service, or if something was wonky in the signal itself. Have to admit that I was surprised that the dealer was correct about where the problem was; am feeling frustrated tho that they didn't pop open the damn thing and check it.

Also kinda embarrassed that I waited 2 weeks to take it apart my own damn self. (I do have the excuse that I was gone for a week riding my Beemer in the Colorado Rockies.)

Treachery

Country flag
I'm embarassed by your dealer. That's a bonehead oversight. You get a pass because it's a new bike and you shouldn't have to suss out the issue.

polokid69

Has anyone seen the great new display on the Duke390 ? Sure would be cool to put something like that on the RC ! At least we would get a 12 hour clock and MPG instead of liters.