RC 390 CHAIN and SPROCKET

CAZHEREDIA

Question, I recently changed the chain at 6,750 miles. I was told that the sprocket needed to be replaced also at the same time. Is this correct?

OldVet

I replaced my chain at about the same mileage and did not replace the sprockets as they did not show any wear. Take a look at your sprockets for wear but at your mileage I doubt there will be any significant wear.

CAZHEREDIA

I replaced my chain at about the same mileage and did not replace the sprockets as they did not show any wear. Take a look at your sprockets for wear but at your mileage I doubt there will be any significant wear.

perfect thank you!

rick

The rule of thumb is to change 'em at the same time because they wear together and that replacing one causes accelerated wear on the new part FWIW.

OldVet

The rule of thumb is to change 'em at the same time because they wear together and that replacing one causes accelerated wear on the new part FWIW.

Yeah I've heard that too, I think someone just wants to sell parts. If you replaced everything on your bike at the Interval the manufacture called for you would be replacing stuff all of the time.

Chris The Welder

This is a rule I never break no mater what the sprockets look like. Changing all three at the same time will give you the maximum life out of all three. This may seem wasteful but put a new chain on old sprockets will destroy it rather quickly.

stevieboy

Country flag
If the chain really needed to be replaced with that low mileage then I imagine the sprockets are as cheaply made and would need replacing as well. Go wiyh aftermarket and they should last longer.

CAZHEREDIA

warranty coverage replaced engine and chain, I was advised to replace sprocket too. It feels good and it rides good, so I'll check about changing sprocket at the 600 mile service. thanks all for your responses.

stevieboy

Country flag
warranty coverage replaced engine and chain, I was advised to replace sprocket too. It feels good and it rides good, so I'll check about changing sprocket at the 600 mile service. thanks all for your responses.

If these bikes need the chain and sprockets replaced at the 600 mile service check they are even bigger pieces of shit than I was thinking they were!

Seth

Country flag
If these bikes need the chain and sprockets replaced at the 600 mile service check they are even bigger pieces of shit than I was thinking they were!

Lol I hope nothing needs replaced at 600 miles unless its the oil or the plywood seat!

I got 12000 Ks out of my original chain and sprockets although they are not great quality they are not as bad as you are thinking - although I do reg check tension + clean and lube the chain - everyone's experience seems to be different with certain items on the RC