Rc390 let me down :(

btalont

Country flag
Chris is right that it is not acceptable for a bike to this and dangerous if that sprays on a leg or rear tire. The caps we have all changed to raise the operating pressure a little, increasing the boiling point, not for gasket leaks or other issues. Doing that, changing to the ICE coolant(the factory fluid I agree, looks overly strong/undiluted) but I think the biggest help was modifying the fan shroud..removing it to be exact. I have tracked my bike now at 4 events in July Texas heat and no coolant issues. Admittedly, I only have 1300 miles on her.

btalont

Country flag
One thing I forgot to add, I upgraded to an aftermarket exhaust and have wrapped the headpipe near the frame with header wrap to cut down on heat. I plan now to wrap the entire pipe just to reduce the radiant heat.

chrisdigital21

Chris is right that it is not acceptable for a bike to this and dangerous if that sprays on a leg or rear tire. The caps we have all changed to raise the operating pressure a little, increasing the boiling point, not for gasket leaks or other issues. Doing that, changing to the ICE coolant(the factory fluid I agree, looks overly strong/undiluted) but I think the biggest help was modifying the fan shroud..removing it to be exact. I have tracked my bike now at 4 events in July Texas heat and no coolant issues. Admittedly, I only have 1300 miles on her.

I bought a NEW motorcycle so I could get back and forth to work with no issues. The dealer Is already giving me no priority and they have not even looked at the bike I just paid for in full, 30 days ago. I am already unhappy with the lack of urgency or care by the service dept. I am thinking I should have saved a few thousand and bought used 954rr or something and just enjoyed what is left of my riding season. So bummed right now.

D

Deleted member 452

One other thing I must also point out I have observed in this forum is that people are changing the rad cap. I think that is ludicrous and the stock cap should be more than sufficient and If a update needs to be made, KTM should provide the updated part. Nobody should be spending money on parts or coolant on a new bike, that was not right from the Factory.

Am I being unreasonable?

I agree on this, too.

chrisdigital21

I will say this. I will not spend a dime on this bike to make it operate as it should. No person should be stuck with a new bike that needs "upgrades" Just to keep from overhearing. KTM needs to make good on this for everyone.

rick

I will say this. I will not spend a dime on this bike to make it operate as it should. No person should be stuck with a new bike that needs "upgrades" Just to keep from overhearing. KTM needs to make good on this for everyone.
Heh, I had the same issue with wanting to upgrade to the Andreani fork upgrade kit. If it could have gone only a few weeks straight without breaking down then I was gonna start pulling the trigger on upgrades again. :(

chrisdigital21

Heh, I had the same issue with wanting to upgrade to the Andreani fork upgrade kit. If it could have gone only a few weeks straight without breaking down then I was gonna start pulling the trigger on upgrades again. :(

I feel sick to my stomach now with buyers remorse. I just want Older Jap bike now. I am going to find a way out of this KTM nightmare.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I agree with your opinions. It is nearly unreal in that the experiences vary from one extreme to the other with little middle ground.

chrisdigital21

I agree with your opinions. It is nearly unreal in that the experiences vary from one extreme to the other with little middle ground.

Its crazy really. KTM really should have done better R&D. I feel cheated. After think about it today, I really do not want the bike. I do not know what to do.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Is it your only ride? The dealers seem to vary just as much as the owner experience.
For me I am in for the long haul even if it means dealing with all he issues when / should they come, but, I am probably in a different position than most with the intended purpose of the bike and its usage.
This was my first KTM purchase and first new bike purchase since 1988, I now have a second used KTM SuperDuke I picked up and there is a huge difference from the Austrian to Indian made units.

For me the RC has been more of a hobby as I have a garage filled with a full range of bikes to ride. Fortunately I do all of my own work on them which helps with not having the dealer issues and is a further part of the hobby aspect.

They are a great little bike, it has the Austrian Engineering but....

chrisdigital21

Is it your only ride? The dealers seem to vary just as much as the owner experience.
For me I am in for the long haul even if it means dealing with all he issues when / should they come, but, I am probably in a different position than most with the intended purpose of the bike and its usage.
This was my first KTM purchase and first new bike purchase since 1988, I now have a second used KTM SuperDuke I picked up and there is a huge difference from the Austrian to Indian made units.

For me the RC has been more of a hobby as I have a garage filled with a full range of bikes to ride. Fortunately I do all of my own work on them which helps with not having the dealer issues and is a further part of the hobby aspect.

They are a great little bike, it has the Austrian Engineering but....

This is my only bike and probably my 80th bike I have owned in my life. I chose it for handling and economy to get me back and forth to work and fun on the weekend. Its is affordable and fun I thought. I also do my own work and before I was a Network Administrator, I was High level automotive tech, so I am comfortable around any ICE. I currently have no desire, however to "tinker" with a a new bike i got 30 days ago, and I am beyond mad at myself for not buyng a used bike I know to be reliable, like 954rr or a SV1000 for a few thousand less than the RC390 was. But i took a chance, spent the money, made it to 1600 miles and now, I fucked....lol.

rick

FWIW, I keep hoping that mine was a fluke, built monday morning or friday afternoon, or something. Some people haven't had any problems so, it could just be really bad quality control.

chrisdigital21

FWIW, I keep hoping that mine was a fluke, built monday morning or friday afternoon, or something. Some people haven't had any problems so, it could just be really bad quality control.

Really, Really bad QC.......... The R&D department did a awful job apparently on this engine and its production procedure. I am still waiting for my bike back from the dealer............ No word yet or even a estimate of when they will look at it. The dealer is very unmotivated.

rick

Call KTM North America early and often at 855-215-6360! They never seemed to care too much but, they'd call the dealer sometimes which occasionally sped things up.

chrisdigital21

Call KTM North America early and often at 855-215-6360! They never seemed to care too much but, they'd call the dealer sometimes which occasionally sped things up.

I did call KTM and the gentleman I spoke with was incredibly defensive in his tone with me and really did not seem to care that my 30 day old bike was INOP. Another gut sinking feeling I made a bad choice. :(

simpletty

Country flag
I did call KTM and the gentleman I spoke with was incredibly defensive in his tone with me and really did not seem to care that my 30 day old bike was INOP. Another gut sinking feeling I made a bad choice. :(

At least you spoke to someone, when mine went down for two months I could not get anyone at ktm answer, let alone call back. Since have converted to full time race bike and it is the most fun Ive had on a track to date. Probably have spent 2/3 the purchase price on upgrades but its totally worth it. Im sure its going to break again eventually but time will tell.

rick

Heh, sounds like we were talking to the same person!
Actually, in the many, many, many phone calls I've made to KTM, I've only spoken to 3 different people: Tyson, Jim and Mike Cooper. The first two were nice but largely unconcerned. Talking to the last name one the list is probably a good indicator that things are about to get really unpleasant for you. :(

Not sure if it helps but, New Hampshire's Lemon Law appears to kick in after 30 days at the shop. You may be at a point where you cna file for arbitration from what the google turns up.

Last edited:

CDN Duke

Country flag
I talked with JIM, If I recall. I feel so scammed right now. I will be filing for arbitration strait away. I will never, ever buy a KTM again. This is a terrifying and awful experience. I will get a refund and buy a used bike from a private party. Geez, all I wanted was a good commuter.....

Did you remove the PCV before taking the bike in?