Rc390 let me down :(

Treachery

Country flag
@chrisdigital: Sorry for your experiences. It appears that you also have a problem with your dealer. I'm not an attorney, but I suspect that you're going to be unable to go either to arbitration or a "lemon law" avenue without getting a better "paper trail" of your downtime and efforts to solve the problem. It's cold comfort, but you have a warranty, and you have both the right and responsibility to follow those avenues first. Unfortunately, you may need to enlist the help of a different dealer to a) fix the issue, and b) intercede with KTM corporate. Good luck.

chrisdigital21

@chrisdigital: Sorry for your experiences. It appears that you also have a problem with your dealer. I'm not an attorney, but I suspect that you're going to be unable to go either to arbitration or a "lemon law" avenue without getting a better "paper trail" of your downtime and efforts to solve the problem. It's cold comfort, but you have a warranty, and you have both the right and responsibility to follow those avenues first. Unfortunately, you may need to enlist the help of a different dealer to a) fix the issue, and b) intercede with KTM corporate. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I DID however figure out the problem with the coolant that causes it to make a mess. The dealer totally neglected to set the coolant level in the reservoir correctly and when going up a steep hill under acceleration, the coolant being to full made its way out the tank. Pretty sad they could not identify this and remove coolant from the tanK.

chrisdigital21

I love my bike!!!!. Rode today after a rainy weekend. I cant say how much fun it is. It is back to pure stock configuration and its perfect.

ktme

I've just read this whole thread! Thanks for providing us with your experience, it definitely makes me feel safer and more knowledgeable about what things can go wrong.. Sometimes twice.

chrisdigital21

I've just read this whole thread! Thanks for providing us with your experience, it definitely makes me feel safer and more knowledgeable about what things can go wrong.. Sometimes twice.

NO prob!, Unfortunately, Its going back to the dealer today for the cooling issue and It now has a "strange" idle and it has stalled a few times while sitting in traffic. Bike is 100% stock. I just cant win. :(

unicorn_violence

NO prob!, Unfortunately, Its going back to the dealer today for the cooling issue and It now has a "strange" idle and it has stalled a few times while sitting in traffic. Bike is 100% stock. I just cant win. :(
Hey Chris, when the bike stalled, was it still cold? i had a couple issues of mine doing so when it was street able, and there was a thread about it.

simpletty

Country flag
Seems these dealers, who are the first line of defense for KTM, really don't do a very good job of repairs, I have taken it upon myself to take over any repairs, even though i have 4 years warranty. If the head gasket goes, I will just take them the engine, not the bike. Im a former bike mechanic and a auto tech so :I know my way around the RC pretty good after all my changes to convert it to a race bike, Hopefully the can get it sorted Chris, if not seek out another dealer, Calling KTM gets zero results, its like the rc is the red-headed stepchild they want to ignore. Well all :I have to say is maybe next time they should actually have trained "quality control" technicians installed in the factory and have them trained in Austria to a higher degree than what seems to be coming out of india now, I can imagine they have sorted many of the issues that have occurred prior, on the 2017. After taking to Matt at Formula 390 he told me what they figured was going on with the head gaskets was a factory issue, He figured that they milled the heads without enough coolant causing a 0.004" warp near the center of the head. Repeated heating and cooling while running the bike eventually caused a failure. Mine was thankfully measured and milled properly during the last repair, so hopefully eliminating the thermostat and the better rad cap will keep the head gasket intact. Anyways good luck

chrisdigital21

Seems these dealers, who are the first line of defense for KTM, really don't do a very good job of repairs, I have taken it upon myself to take over any repairs, even though i have 4 years warranty. If the head gasket goes, I will just take them the engine, not the bike. Im a former bike mechanic and a auto tech so :I know my way around the RC pretty good after all my changes to convert it to a race bike, Hopefully the can get it sorted Chris, if not seek out another dealer, Calling KTM gets zero results, its like the rc is the red-headed stepchild they want to ignore. Well all :I have to say is maybe next time they should actually have trained "quality control" technicians installed in the factory and have them trained in Austria to a higher degree than what seems to be coming out of india now, I can imagine they have sorted many of the issues that have occurred prior, on the 2017. After taking to Matt at Formula 390 he told me what they figured was going on with the head gaskets was a factory issue, He figured that they milled the heads without enough coolant causing a 0.004" warp near the center of the head. Repeated heating and cooling while running the bike eventually caused a failure. Mine was thankfully measured and milled properly during the last repair, so hopefully eliminating the thermostat and the better rad cap will keep the head gasket intact. Anyways good luck

Thank you, Sir. I as well am a 10+ year Automotive/Motorcycle Tech until I retired in 2009 to peruse My IT carrier. I bought A new bike because now a-days, I have Zero interest or time to mess with mechanical things. I retired from the field because I was burnt out, so the though of having a new bike I did not have to mess with was the whole reason for the purchase. The dealer , on my last visit fixed nothing and actually lost some hardware for my right faring and when I call them out on it, they just said "OH" and offerd not replacement parts or an apology. They also did not actually fix my coolant boil over problem at all and further more, after I got home I read the repair order to find a note that the tech noticed my bike had a "Strange Idle". They never told me this or discussed it. So, I brought the bike back today, said I need the coolant Issue resolved and The idle issue resolved asap. I also had a event a few days ago when it stalled at idle . I told the dealer this and they expressed no interest or apologies at all. This new bike experience ,from a customer standpoint has been atrocious to say the least. I feel cheated to degree by Freedom Cycle for selling me a vehicle and then not providing proper support after I just bought it and have legit issues. I must stress, I am not bashing the dealer, Just stating exactly what I have been though. Its all mind blowing to me.

simpletty

Country flag
There is always someone who is someone's boss if you know what I mean. Sometimes stepping over the head of the problem and expressing that to "the boss" makes a difference. I ended up talking to the dealer principal aka the owner and things suddenly fell into line quickly. I have known the ones for several years and he was absent during the delivery after repair. The issues were brought to his attention and handled accordingly.

chrisdigital21

There is always someone who is someone's boss if you know what I mean. Sometimes stepping over the head of the problem and expressing that to "the boss" makes a difference. I ended up talking to the dealer principal aka the owner and things suddenly fell into line quickly. I have known the ones for several years and he was absent during the delivery after repair. The issues were brought to his attention and handled accordingly.

Thanks, I will see how this visit goes. I will go the owner if shit gets out of hand.

chrisdigital21

Ladies and gentleman, Boys and Girls..... The dealer got back with the Diagnosis of my coolant purge and rough idle.......Bad NEWS............................. Cylinder head gasket failure. Well, 1680 miles, its pretty upsetting. Wont see my bike for a few weeks and riding season is almost done. FML.....

On the bright side, Im getting the Akarpovic Race exhaust and ECU mapping DONE WHILE IN FOR REPAIR(WAS TOLD THIS OPTION DOSE NOT VOID MY WARRANTY)
:cool:

Last edited:

CDN Duke

Country flag
Purchasing of said exhaust guarantees the head gasket work done under warranty I hope?

I had the Akra map flashed prior to delivery, so never experienced stock map but even it seemed lean on the highway at partial throttle. From everything I've read, the longer Akrapovic pipe is one of the best for power :)

chrisdigital21

Purchasing of said exhaust guarantees the head gasket work done under warranty I hope?

I had the Akra map flashed prior to delivery, so never experienced stock map but even it seemed lean on the highway at partial throttle. From everything I've read, the longer Akrapovic pipe is one of the best for power :)

Yes, the Dealer said the Akrapovic system was a OEM option and would keep me in warranty for the next 2 yrs. So I said, Why was I not given this option at purchase? lol

Anyway, Cant wait to have it back and not have it sound like a Honda generator, lol

Diploman

Why do you anticipate that the dealer will take "a few weeks" to perform a relatively small and straightforward repair such as changing the head gasket? That does not sound like very customer-friendly service. Perhaps you could talk to the owner about this, and he could get the service shop "motivated".

chrisdigital21

Time Quote

Why do you anticipate that the dealer will take "a few weeks" to perform a relatively small and straightforward repair such as changing the head gasket? That does not sound like very customer-friendly service. Perhaps you could talk to the owner about this, and he could get the service shop "motivated".

Well, to answer your first question is easy. To put it simply, I was not give ant estamated time of completion. Just to look at the bike took a week so judging by that I will have to assume at least three weeks. They have had no urgency about my bike at all. So I won't bug them and hopefully it gets resolved within 30 days. If not I will have to do some paperwork..... As for talking to the owner, that is a waste of time as I've met him and I will say, shit rolls down hill. you follow me?