Rear Shock upgrade

fs1ephil

Hi
Just carried out the Yamaha Yzf R6 rear shock upgrade on my Rc after reading about the
possibility of it fitting on this forum.
Well its a straight swap for the original and installed so easily.
I set the shock up to the standard R6 settings as a base to work from and to be honest I see no need to adjust it
from there. Its not to harsh or to soft on this setting with me a 13.5 stone rider.
It copes with pot holes in the road just fine, doesn't throw me out my seat and I can finally push hard through all
the gears without the pogo affect I used to get. Cornering has much improved the wollowing is a thing of the past.

Total cost £38.00 with free delivery to me off ebay.
:cool:

zippy49

I just got one for our Duke, and am thinking of trying it out as-is too. I weigh about 165 pounds in full gear, and my wife (it's her bike) 15 less. But I intend to run it on the track, and Racetech is ten miles away so a rebuild and new spring might be in order. Also they offer a threaded adjuster kit to replace that horrible stepped thing.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
:) I'm glad to hear it's working out for you fs1ephil! :) I put a LOT of time and effort into sorting out a candidate, and have been quite pleased to see so many folks being able to make use of that work. :) I have some cores in case anyone wants a R6 swap built for them, but the intent all along was for it to all be opensource as a gift back to the community. :) The bushings for the different sized bolt seem to be the only tricky part some folks have an issue with. Finding the bushings online is pretty simple. I turn ones from bronze bearing material on the lathe here when I do shocks up for folks, but the original thread also had a link to the bushings online also.

As Zippy49 mentions, the threaded adjuster is, in my experience, an absolute requirement. There's just no way you are really going to be able to get the preload setup correctly with the "horrible stepped thing" at all. The RaceTech adjuster is a direct swap out, so it's a piece of cake to use... and odds are you'll be getting the spring from RaceTech at the same time anyway.

I've been torn on the automatic rebuild recommendation vs run it until it pops and swap out another. A lot of it seems to come down to what shape the core is in. These shocks ARE getting along in age, but if you find one that looks like the bumper is in decent shape, then it might be worth just putting the spring and threaded adjuster, and run it. Then, if it does start to leak / pop, rebuild it then... or just find another donor shock core and run that one.

The R6 swap is easily 200% better than the POS stocker shock that comes on the bike. While it's still not as good as the JRi (or Ohlins) it's seeming to work out pretty well! I wouldn't recommend it for racing, but for the street and an occasional track day, it's a pretty good option for those wanting an upgraded rear without having to shell out for the JRi. Now, for the racers... no question... get a JRi!!!

Diploman

I will soon be installing an R6 shock on my Duke. I am changing the spring and preload adjuster, but otherwise intend to try the shock as delivered. Matt at Formula390 deserves a lot of credit for researching and bringing to life this relatively simple, non bank-breaking mod, then making it open-source available to the 390 community. For a street rider like me, it seems ideal - I am encouraged to hear about fs1 ephil's positive experience. Thank you, Matt!

Merry Christmas to all.

ToraTora

Country flag
Here's a question for you cats. If the R6 is a straight swap why hasn't anyone tried an Ohlins for an R6--or have they? ;)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Here's a question for you cats. If the R6 is a straight swap why hasn't anyone tried an Ohlins for an R6--or have they? ;)

It's been tried. The nitrogen reservoir is attached differently and runs at an angle direct away from the shock. The net result is it can't really be made to fit, even with running the shock upside down. It still interferes. Jae Green fought with it and fought, before ultimately determining it just wasn't going to work. Then psych0hans tried with some (unknown no-name brand) shock he picked up there in India which wasn't even a Gen1 shock... and again.. no joy. As near as I can tell the ONLY OEM Swap candidate shock that exists is the OEM Gen1 R6 shocks... that's IT. If somebody can find another possible donor lump core to use, I'm all ears and will help how I can go getting it sorted out for needs to be done to get it working well for various riders on the RC. Given the massive numbers of shocks I looked at tho, I'm going to find it pretty baffling if one DID end up also existing. It's a pretty weird shock. {shock and surprise from all I realize!) LOL

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I assure you, hyper pro isn't a "no name" brand :p it's a Dutch company which makes some pretty high end stuff. About us - Hyperpro | English

Also, it's an R1 2007-2008 shock.

I stand corrected. It is indeed not a no-name brand. It's not known to -=ME=-, as I've never run one of their shocks, and AFAIK I don't personally know anyone who has either. I've always tended to stick with the big players in the US market. Ohlins, JRi, Penske, and Fox. Are there others... you bet. Would I put one on the Formula390 test mule, or any of the other bikes here.... Mmmmmmmmm. Probably not. I wouldn't go so far as to say "no way" however, because at one time, I'd also never heard of JRi, and I'm REALLY impressed with that shocks performance!

...and yeah, totally wrong year. If I recall from looking at the Gen1 model however, it was going to have the exact same issue with fitment and the reservoir. As you know... it's TIGHT in there. :)

psych0hans

Country flag
Matt, did you ever consider the ZX10R shock between 2011-3014? Seems ideal, not sure if the reservoir would fit tho.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Matt, did you ever consider the ZX10R shock between 2011-3014? Seems ideal, not sure if the reservoir would fit tho.

I have it in my notes, but it got dismissed pretty early in the research. The length is good, but the reservoir won't fit with it being in a vertical orientation. To fit with a piggyback reservoir is has to be horizontal and centered. I didn't dig in deeper than that for what the width of the mounts are, bolt size, spring size, or if it is fully rebuildable.

Dude! Seriously, just get a Gen1 R6 off eBay (or I'll sell ya' one of my cores), or get a JRi. :) I'm pretty sure that you've already spent more on chasing butterflies and other alternatives vs what it would have cost to take a Gen1 R6 core and have it fully rebuilt for your needs, ya' goof! :)

psych0hans

Country flag
I have it in my notes, but it got dismissed pretty early in the research. The length is good, but the reservoir won't fit with it being in a vertical orientation. To fit with a piggyback reservoir is has to be horizontal and centered. I didn't dig in deeper than that for what the width of the mounts are, bolt size, spring size, or if it is fully rebuildable.

Dude! Seriously, just get a Gen1 R6 off eBay (or I'll sell ya' one of my cores), or get a JRi. :) I'm pretty sure that you've already spent more on chasing butterflies and other alternatives vs what it would have cost to take a Gen1 R6 core and have it fully rebuilt for your needs, ya' goof! :)

Hahahaha you hit the nail on the head, will buy an R6 shock next month for sure and rebuild it myself. Thanks for your advice. :D

AirRsq

I just bought one off Ebay for $35. Planning to have RT do a full rebuild on it and their preload adjuster...and also gonna get some stiffer fork springs from them. I dont race and only do the occasional track day and spirited road riding and just couldn't justify pulling the trigger on an $800+ shock upgrade. I bought this bike intent on keeping it a 'cheaper' toy than many of my other bikes have been. Here's to hoping this cheaper shock upgrade is a score! Thanks to all of you who have done the myriad research on this mod.

I'll try to remember to report back on my experience and total cost with RaceTech.

AirRsq

Anyone have any confirmation on the proper spring rate for the r6 shock swap for a 200lb'er. Obviously Race Tech's rate calc won't work for this, so i'm trying to swag it. Formula390 mentioned starting with a 11.6, but others have said that is too soft for a 200# rider.

psych0hans

Country flag
I just bought one off Ebay for $35. Planning to have RT do a full rebuild on it and their preload adjuster...and also gonna get some stiffer fork springs from them. I dont race and only do the occasional track day and spirited road riding and just couldn't justify pulling the trigger on an $800+ shock upgrade. I bought this bike intent on keeping it a 'cheaper' toy than many of my other bikes have been. Here's to hoping this cheaper shock upgrade is a score! Thanks to all of you who have done the myriad research on this mod.

I'll try to remember to report back on my experience and total cost with RaceTech.

I believe race tech quoted me over 600$ for a full rebuild and revalve service. Maybe if you just had it rebuilt, it would be less.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I believe race tech quoted me over 600$ for a full rebuild and revalve service. Maybe if you just had it rebuilt, it would be less.
ReValve should not be necessary. With the bushing, adjuster, and spring you have the necessary hardware. The key to seeing if you need a rebuild or not is easy to tell based on your bumper. The labor is about 60-90 minutes to do the full rebuild... Here's the thing tho. If the bumper is in good shape, then the shock internals most LIKELY are too. If the bumper is dry cracked and crumbly, then the internals are likely worn, oil needing to be changed, and nitrogen recharge.

So that's the basis I use for my recommendation of rebuild vs just run it with the new hardware.

I'm a RaceTech dealer so have the necessary parts in stock and can build the shock and service them, or just supply the hardware so folks can do the hardware swap themselves.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Anyone have any confirmation on the proper spring rate for the r6 shock swap for a 200lb'er. Obviously Race Tech's rate calc won't work for this, so i'm trying to swag it. Formula390 mentioned starting with a 11.6, but others have said that is too soft for a 200# rider.
I'm 220# and that spring rate worked pretty good. I might go up one, but really it was SO much better than the stock shock I was just giddy with how well the bike was handling at that point. I only ran the R6 shock for about three weeks tho, and then fit the JRi on... And haven't looked back!!! Even if I wasn't a JRi dealer I'd say the shock was massively better. If we take handling on a 1-10 scale, and say the stock shock is a 2, the R6 would be a 4 and JRi a 9.

If you are a racer, go with the JRi. No question.

Street riders and track days, I'm on the fence... Either works and I would say it's a 50/50 choice. Maybe leaning slightly more towards the JRi but it depends on the rider, lap times, and how much time they are spending at full throttle.

For the guys commuting and canyon carving, the R6 will be a HUGE improvement and going with the JRi isn't NECESSARY to get an improvement in handling with adjustments for riding style and conditions.

rick

I just had an R6 shock re-sprung/valved for my 195#. I haven't had a chance to put the shock on yet (warranty woes) so, I don't know how it handles but, I'll check if the spring has a part number on it when I get home. :)

fs1ephil

If fit the r6 shock and try it. The yamaha yzf r6 was around 175kg if my memory serves me well.
The ktm is what 140 something so theres 35kg the r6 shock wont have to cope with off the bat.
I rekon the r6 shock will work fine standard for road riding with the adjustments its already got.

only my opinion lol Im no suspension guru