Slipper Clutch - On The Way!

phocup

I'm in the same situation .. already have a deposit down but might step off if there's no slipper. Its nice to be have one of the first RCs here but the value will pretty much tank on the non slipper ones once the next batch is released with them.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The 390 duke has the Adler slipper/gripper clutch, and can be installed in the rc... It's not as forgiving as a real slipper but a start. The parts are relatively inexpensive too. It might be the route I take on the high comp build until another one is available. Another reason I installed the shift kit in the duke to verify clutch type.

emeglasson

I can definitely confirm, the first round of US bikes did not show up with slipper clutches. We were told by our dealer that the next wave will similarly not have a slipper.

Treachery

Country flag
The 390 duke has the Adler slipper/gripper clutch, and can be installed in the rc... It's not as forgiving as a real slipper but a start. The parts are relatively inexpensive too. It might be the route I take on the high comp build until another one is available. Another reason I installed the shift kit in the duke to verify clutch type.

There we go. Thanks for the info!

dobr

Chad can you elaborate on the action of the slipper gripper clutch. How does it provide slipping action?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TZMike

Take a look at the clutch parts list for both Duke and RC390. There are some differences. The pressure plate assy certainly looks different, and the Duke only uses 3 springs. The clutch plate stack is different as well. Can't tell anything about slipper/gripper action

Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG

I have had two experienced adult racers on my Cup bike on track at Sears Point (Sonoma Raceway) and neither of them ever commented on a need for a slipper clutch...

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Chad can you elaborate on the action of the slipper gripper clutch. How does it provide slipping action?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like an exact copy but smaller than the stock Multistrada/Diavel/Pani slipper gripper. It only runs 3 springs for lighter lever pull. The ramps seen in parts fiche draw the clutch tighter together with rpm, the more power/higher rpm it makes pulls pressure plate tighter. Thats why only 3 springs are needed. The bone stock clutch in my turbo Diavel is holding 235 hp at the wheel. It's a well designed set up. The same ramps that draw together under power, also release pressure plate pressure under engine braking/back limiting torque. Nothing new, like I say its better on power holding side than slipper action. Not very adjustable in terms of slipper amount like a true slipper, since it uses the same set of springs for both ways, unlike a traditional slipper with different springs for each action.

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Take a look at the clutch parts list for both Duke and RC390. There are some differences. The pressure plate assy certainly looks different, and the Duke only uses 3 springs. The clutch plate stack is different as well. Can't tell anything about slipper/gripper action

View attachment 382 View attachment 383

I have had two experienced adult racers on my Cup bike on track at Sears Point (Sonoma Raceway) and neither of them ever commented on a need for a slipper clutch...

I can get the rear wheel to hop/chatter in the parking lot just rolling off the throttle in first gear on a street RC.... I haven't verified whether or not the cup has the street rc clutch or the duke clutch. Just because ktm parts fiche says it has the std clutch means nothing. Half the time they aren't right/updated or all there on the competition models. The rc8rs being HORRIBLE fiche wise. I have 2 cups in crate at the moment, clutch cover might accidentally fall off ;)