Slipper clutch?

big_sur

Anyone heard anything else on this? Part list available for retro-fit? I was reading somewhere the slipper models have a lighter lever pull and apparently I've become spoiled by hydraulic ones so I wouldn't mind that at all, not to mention they make backing it in a lot easier.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Anyone heard anything else on this? Part list available for retro-fit? I was reading somewhere the slipper models have a lighter lever pull and apparently I've become spoiled by hydraulic ones so I wouldn't mind that at all, not to mention they make backing it in a lot easier.

Wait, huh? A slipper clutch would make backing it in EASIER???? Uhmmmm. Maybe I've been sliding the rear wrong all these years. I've used the front brake (lightening the rear) and engine braking to get the rear loose, not the rear brake. Having a slipper would remove engine braking, so getting the back end to move around for pointing the front would then necessitate using the rear brake. Or maybe I'm not understanding what you meant. :) I used to have to remind myself to put the rear end DOWN before tossing it into turn 7 at PIR in Portland, OR when I was racing my NSR. Not doing so, resulted in a rather... dramatic... reestablishment of traction. Or, I could not brake AS hard, keep the rear on the pavement, and just slide the rear in and get on the gas sooner. Granted, that was the only spot I've ever consistently "backed it in" with a streetbike. Now... dirt... on my RMX250... on trails... that's EVERY turn if I can manage it. Wheeeee! LOL

big_sur

Slippers don't remove engine braking, just limit it. So without a slipper, you're hard on the front brake, bang down a few gears, and you have to modulate the clutch to prevent wheel hop on entry. Conversely, with a slipper, you can just get hard on the front brake, bang down a few gears, pop the clutch out, and the slipper will take care of the modulation\back torque for you. It basically takes the clutch skills out of the picture, which is good for people like me that haven't had the practice, given my last few bikes have all come with a slipper.

Asher

I personally don't think these bikes need a slipper clutch. I don't think I have ever felt the rear slide under hard braking.
Unless you raise the compression or they plan on increasing the weight of the fly wheel I don't think it's needed

TZMike

I was at NJMP a couple of weeks ago for the last Cup race of the year. While speaking with Mitch and Uli at HMC about next year they mentioned that the only difference between this year's Cup bike and next year's will be the addition of a slipper clutch. I was told that the slipper clutch upgrade kit for this year's bikes (2015) was going to cost less that $200 (race truck pricing). That price will probably be higher at the local dealers.

We shall know for sure next year...

Mike

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I personally don't think these bikes need a slipper clutch. I don't think I have ever felt the rear slide under hard braking.
Unless you raise the compression or they plan on increasing the weight of the fly wheel I don't think it's needed

It's CERTAINLY not needed. If anything, it's just a marketing checkbox to add because the baby ninja has one and the squids will use it as one of their buying decision points... nothing more.

micahpearlman

It's CERTAINLY not needed. If anything, it's just a marketing checkbox to add because the baby ninja has one and the squids will use it as one of their buying decision points... nothing more.

With all due respect I disagree. The bike works surprisingly well without one, and though not absolutely necessary, like on a supermoto, it would make a definite difference on my lap times. I don't think I would even contemplate doing a full 50HP super bike build without one.

big_sur

Slipper has nothing to do with preventing slide, but it will prevent hop. Slide is fun and potentially fast, hop is upsetting and slow. Yes, hop is technically a mistake on the part of the rider by letting the clutch out too quickly, but that's what technology is all about, making shit easier. If I can remove the possibility of that mistake and save myself that half a second in a race at a critical moment because my slipper caught my mistake and I didn't blow the corner, it's absolutely "needed" in my book. Plus, at a mere $200, I'll pay that just to get rid of the heavy clutch pull. E-mail out to the dealer on pricing...

micahpearlman

Slipper has nothing to do with preventing slide, but it will prevent hop. Slide is fun and potentially fast, hop is upsetting and slow. Yes, hop is technically a mistake on the part of the rider by letting the clutch out too quickly, but that's what technology is all about, making shit easier. If I can remove the possibility of that mistake and save myself that half a second in a race at a critical moment because my slipper caught my mistake and I didn't blow the corner, it's absolutely "needed" in my book. Plus, at a mere $200, I'll pay that just to get rid of the heavy clutch pull. E-mail out to the dealer on pricing...

Exactly. A slipper may not make a huge difference on an ultimate lap time, but would make overall consistency much better and it certainly would be a huge benefit during a late braking duel or having to down shift while leaned over. Also depends a lot on the track, Thunder Hill which is mostly flat out and only has a couple of hard braking areas it would be of relatively minor benefit, while Sears Point which is extremely technical and a lot of braking it would make a big difference.

I was at NJMP a couple of weeks ago for the last Cup race of the year. While speaking with Mitch and Uli at HMC about next year they mentioned that the only difference between this year's Cup bike and next year's will be the addition of a slipper clutch. I was told that the slipper clutch upgrade kit for this year's bikes (2015) was going to cost less that $200 (race truck pricing). That price will probably be higher at the local dealers.

We shall know for sure next year...

Mike

Recently got the same info. We will see won't we....

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
There is a reason nearly every new bike now comes with a slipper clutch.

And why, nearly every Racer on the planet actually winning........ runs a slipper clutch.

Because they work. Amazingly well.

Just like going from Brake Drums, to Brake Discs......... or Carb. to Fuel Injection......... technology is a good thing.

To be able to dive bomb a corner, and drop a few gears let out the clutch..... without any worry of wheel hop....... is a wonderful thing.

It lets you focus on everything else.

Even on the street it's great to have. We've had them on all our street bikes and race bikes for years.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Do you think there will be a aftermarket slipper clutch for the RC 390 any time soon

With KTM having announced that a slipper will be available, and that it will be reverse compatible, I HIGHLY doubt anyone would invest the significant amount of engineering costs into developing one for an aftermarket solution.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Do you think there will be a aftermarket slipper clutch for the RC 390 any time soon

Oh yea.

There are two companies we've confirmed that are currently working on making one for the RC390.

It will be ball bearing type. Far superior performance to an OEM version.

JainAshish46

In India, only the Duke 390 has a slipper clutch. Even here, RC does not have a slipper clutch as of now.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

cornerslider

Just my 2 cents on the slipper..... I ran a slipper in my CRF450R Supermoto. I liked it, I got used to it...... Then I sold the slipper, and put the stock clutch back in when I went to sell the bike. I did one last track day on the bike before I sold it. What a BAD idea that was!!!! The rear wheel was hopping all over the place, not to mention scaring the hell out of me!!!!! The phase "You don't know what what you until it's gone" comes to mind.....