Corey

Country flag
Oh yes. That is a top-line Hyperco spring sized for my 178lb frame. The sag numbers are right where they need to be.

What spring rate did you end up using? I just put the WP comp fork and shock on my bike and it's way under-sprung.

On a slight tangent, the WP forks do offer a mount for the front wheel speed sensor. After the install, I had to ditch it and along with it, the ABS, speedo, and odo.

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
What spring rate did you end up using? I just put the WP comp fork and shock on my bike and it's way under-sprung.

On a slight tangent, the WP forks do offer a mount for the front wheel speed sensor. After the install, I had to ditch it and along with it, the ABS, speedo, and odo.

What do you weigh for spring sizing? If you look in the literature supplied with the wp suspension, you'll see what is available and what it came with, and optional rates. I'm a wp dealer and can get you springs if needed. Yes the forks have no provision for speed sensor, as I found out the other day too. If you are going to use it for track use, I would install our brake line kit to bypass the abs (since it won't work now with missing speed sensor), and remove the rear sensor too.

Corey

Country flag
What do you weigh for spring sizing? If you look in the literature supplied with the wp suspension, you'll see what is available and what it came with, and optional rates. I'm a wp dealer and can get you springs if needed. Yes the forks have no provision for speed sensor, as I found out the other day too. If you are going to use it for track use, I would install our brake line kit to bypass the abs (since it won't work now with missing speed sensor), and remove the rear sensor too.

Perhaps the suspension you've received came with different literature. Mine does not list recommended rates dependent on rider weight, only the optional spring rates and their associated part numbers.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Perhaps the suspension you've received came with different literature. Mine does not list recommended rates dependent on rider weight, only the optional spring rates and their associated part numbers.

I didn't say it had recommendations for rider weight. I asked your weight to help point in right direction. Just informing you of listed optional rates in literature to make sure it was included thats all. Sorry if I miscommunicated.

Corey

Country flag
I didn't say it had recommendations for rider weight. I asked your weight to help point in right direction. Just informing you of listed optional rates in literature to make sure it was included thats all. Sorry if I miscommunicated.

Nope, I misread your post. I'm 175ish sans gear. If the race weight ends up being about what the cup bike is listed at, I could probably get away with the stiffest springs WP lists. Thoughts?

SPG

Ummm, me too? cjwell, if you could provide recommendations for non-progressive front and rear springs (and maybe pricing and availability?), that would be great! I am a 165 pound rider with gear and will be roadracing. Thanks in advance for any info.
-Sean

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Ummm, me too? cjwell, if you could provide recommendations for non-progressive front and rear springs (and maybe pricing and availability?), that would be great! I am a 165 pound rider with gear and will be roadracing. Thanks in advance for any info.
-Sean

Sean, for the full WP forks and shock? Not the stock OEM stuff....

SPG

Well, I probably need to respring what I have for a start. They are looking to put a bone stock class together in WA, so springs and shims are probably ok, new Cup suspension, not so much...
Thanks!
-Sean

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Well, I probably need to respring what I have for a start. They are looking to put a bone stock class together in WA, so springs and shims are probably ok, new Cup suspension, not so much...
Thanks!
-Sean

I have no idea what stock sizes or rates are or if anyone is doing them yet. Too many other people out there that will be fooling with, racetech etc.... Sorry as I am of no help on that side. Spring rate though probably 7.5 F and 74 or 6N R.

SPG

So, the fork springs seem about the ballpark I would expect. The rear rate should be similar for the Cup shock as the stock shock but I'm not sure what your suggestion is there. Can you clarify?
Thanks.
-Sean

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Setting list for the stock stuff says rear shock 8.8-17.5 n/mm progressive and the fork to be .6-.9n/mm progressive. Looking at the setting list shows that we will need a racetech type emulator for a proper fix to the forks. The shock can be worked on but its going to require some serious creativity to safely discharge and recharge it with nitro, doubt it will be worth the time.
IMG_20150502_115005015.jpgIMG_20150502_115014544.jpg

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Might depend on who you ask to do the work (in terms of cost and effort). Curiosit, Superpacman13: How big a rider are you trying to tune the suspension for?

tecknojoe

Country flag
Did you guys get anywhere with modifying the stock forks? I'm racing in a series that doesn't allow cartridge kits or full suspension replacements, only springs valves and oil.

Bagwell

Country flag
I have yet to install them, but I ordered some Racetech front springs for a Bandit 600 they seem to be same specs as stock springs only slightly shorter in free length and obviously heavier weight. I will report back when I get it done and add heavier oil.

RC390 Fan

@bagwell did Race Tech not have springs specifically for the rc? Just curious cause I need to order some.

@bagwell did Race Tech not have springs specifically for the rc? Just curious cause I need to order some.
This is what I've used:

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FRSP S3534100 RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm
[/FONT]Made spacer to match the stock length from the material supplied with the RT springs. How much do you weigh? I'm using .9 at 175lbs no gear.

RC390 Fan

I'm 160ish without gear. Also want to keep it smooth enough for street, which is where I'll be riding most. I was thinking .8 might be a good compromise.

I'm currently running the stock springs w 12mm preload and 5w oil. Better than stock and not so firm that the forks are out of balance with the shock. Shock is at max preload setting.