Swingarm pivot

Treachery

Country flag
I know that I'll need to grease the bushings, and plan to do so when I install the shock that sits lonely in the garage. But I loosened the pivot bolt to see if I could nudge the right side rearset out to get some working room to remove the rear brake hose. I was too lazy to take the belly pan off to get to the bottom-front rearset bolt, so I just tapped it back to the left and snugged it up.

Now, I looked up the torque spec for that bigass bolt; 103.3 Ft.lbs. That's some tight right there, but not really surprising, given the size of the bolt. But...I did it in steps: 50, then 75, then (the plan was) 100. I hadda put a wrench on the right side, as the bolt started turning between 75 and 100 Ft. Lbs. But dayum! It really seemed like a lot of turning between 75 and a hunnert. I stopped. I kept envisioning the oil filter cover and the crushed gum-wrapper fasteners, and was afraid the dang thing would break. Anybody else have this experience?

Ryanthegreat1

I just gave my pivot bolt a good snugging with a 12" long ratchet on either end. Probably nearing the 100ft/lbs mark. It did not really seem to get snug and then stop, felt like if I kept adding torque it would keep stretching so I stopped.

Might have to bust out the torque wrench and see how I did.

Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
Screenshot from 2016-03-08 21:02:21.jpg

103.3 Ft.lbs?
73.8 lbf ft. seems more better...
Just to be sure, this is the one your talking about...

Treachery

Country flag
Yeah, the big main through-bolt. I didn't find the spec in my manual, but went by the torque spec list here on the board. My bad, I guess. I'll go slack it off.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Yeah I had to go through the pages until I found it in the assembly section, it's not in the list with the rest of the torque specs! yet another issue with the service manual:(

Treachery

Country flag
It's not in the owners' manual. I have to run the DVD on SWMBO's PC laptop, which I hate to do, so...

Thx for the corrected spec. I fixed it. OCD/A-R in action.