TDC Markings - One cam geart tooth either way

corners

Doing a valve clearance check at the 5K mile mark, found both exhaust valves @ .11 re-shimmed to .15 using a HotCams shim kit.

When putting the cams back in at TDC, there are 2 horizontal marks and a T on the cam gears, the horizontal marks should be level and even with the block and the T should be at the top.

I've found that the horizontal marks are never perfectly horizontal at the TDC, however, one cam tooth either way makes them more out of line than just a little.

Anyone else notice this? Is this normal or anything to be concerned with?

corners

Not a big deal, just thought it kind of interesting. I suppose the gears are mechanically stamped in some type of jig when made...

Engine runs like a champ.

Perhaps not many folks have ventured into doing their own valve clearance / shims or removed their cams.

Have done it twice now. First time the exhausts were on edge about .12-.13, this time they were definitely .11-.12, and I called it .11 because the correcting shim would keep it within range anyway. No problems with the intakes both @ .10

Getting TDC back isn't that big a deal, I've seen guys with videos and pictures of their gears zip tied to the chain, maybe they're nervous...

Wonder if there are any third party "performance" cam kits out there...

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Wonder if there are any third party "performance" cam kits out there...

Yes. You'll want to talk to CJWell with KTM Performance. He's another sponsored member here on the forum. He's got his engine kit, with custom ground cams.

Here is a link to his thread on the engine kit. Chad has been developing this kit for a while now, so I'm not sure if he's 100% done with it yet... but I know he's got the cams figured out. Last I heard he was waiting on cam blanks to grind.

s30series

Jesus....let me tell you about today. 10 hour valve job. They were wayyyyyy to tight. .003 after I took the cams out, did the math, reinstalled, they were still off. Then I threw my beer across the yard.....I was doing it in inches and converting. I looked back and realized they specd out perfectly if i had been paying attettion to the units tobegin with.

Yes, I noticed the TDC marks as well. To make matters worse, my silver plug on the left side of the motor came stripped from the factory. I had to find TDC the old fashioned way with a dowel sitting on the top of the cylinder.

I'm hating life right now. Best part is, I didn't even finish. Got the bike cranked and running, said fuck it I'll finish tomorrow.

OldVet

Jesus....let me tell you about today. 10 hour valve job. They were wayyyyyy to tight. .003 after I took the cams out, did the math, reinstalled, they were still off. Then I threw my beer across the yard.....I was doing it in inches and converting. I looked back and realized they specd out perfectly if i had been paying attettion to the units tobegin with.

Yes, I noticed the TDC marks as well. To make matters worse, my silver plug on the left side of the motor came stripped from the factory. I had to find TDC the old fashioned way with a dowel sitting on the top of the cylinder.

I'm hating life right now. Best part is, I didn't even finish. Got the bike cranked and running, said fuck it I'll finish tomorrow.

Yeah I've noticed beer messes up my math too... ;)