Tell me what is wrong with the stock rear shock?

Seth

Country flag
I see that the general consensus is that the rear WP shock is an absolutely worthless piece of junk, oversized paper weight, good for nothing, throw away stock item.

Please tell me why!

Koala

if you dont know dont ask its fine !

unless you my size then its like a pogo stick even at road speeds on undulating pavment the dampening dose it have any ?
but like i said your results may differ .i am going to the track soon but am not expecting much better as the speeds will increase even if the pavment is smoother

streetfighter

unless you my size then its like a pogo stick even at road speeds on undulating pavment the dampening dose it have any ?
but like i said your results may differ .i am going to the track soon but am not expecting much better as the speeds will increase even if the pavment is smoother

What is your size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green_bread

Country flag
I am 160lbs and the shock had no damping for me, at all. Any time Id hit a bump, it felt like the bike was about to break in half at the swing arm pivot. I learned to ride around that but installing the JRi shock was a HUGE improvement in stability and the feel of the bike.

OldVet

No adjustment... and like already said it's a pogo stick, I'm 170# with gear and it bottoms out on depressions in the road all the time. That is until I put a JRi on it, major improvement.

Koala

What is your size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
235 lb But my point is unless you perceive a problem there is not one its still a fun ride but yes there is room for improvement in many areas i am 54 and been riding since i was 10 so i guess i know the difference its a great bike for the money it took me about 3 block on a friends to decided i wanted one

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The stock rear shock is not referred to as the "WP". The WP is the cup rear shock, and nothing is wrong with it. But yes the stock shock is worthless ;).

Maddog Reynolds

I notice my stock suspension is fine until it gets warm. Then sometimes the rear damper goes soft and I can feel it hasn't finished bouncing from the previous bump before I reach the next one. The spring is a bit soft for me, as well. It doesn't help if I have to filter through traffic, because the damper sits right above the stock silencer!

Luckily, I live in Cumbria (which doesn't get too warm) and I mostly travel quiet/empty roads, so it isn't a big problem for me yet.

The spring is a so called progressive rate of 8.8kg which is too soft to 17.7kg which is too hard The feeling of bottoming out is most likely the binding and transition of the soft part of the spring to the stiff part. This can be improved by upping the preload to setting 7-8 to precompress the soft part of travel but then its oversprung and the lack of damping in the shock turns it into a pogo!

streetfighter

The spring is a so called progressive rate of 8.8kg which is too soft to 17.7kg which is too hard The feeling of bottoming out is most likely the binding and transition of the soft part of the spring to the stiff part. This can be improved by upping the preload to setting 7-8 to precompress the soft part of travel but then its oversprung and the lack of damping in the shock turns it into a pogo!

Changing the viscosity of the oil may help, but its hard to get it right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seth

Country flag

My RC rides like my old mini truck from back in the day (It was slammed to the ground). If you hit a bump it bounces.

ours had 'no feeling" of bottoming out as it would just squat ti the bump stop just with my 105kgs sitting on it. it was already bottomed out before even moving so it was utterly useless.

Andy

Country flag
To be honest as a basic shock it works fine and the youth will know no different, as you get to ride various different bikes you'll understanding the difference. Start pluckingweight off the bike and you'll feel the changes, so to have that bit more control to make things feel right!

Personally the OE shock is cracking, compared to the equivalent from back in the day its way ahead. However pushed hard there are times when it's off the edge. Even a basic Nitron at around £400 (or you dollar bill rate) or a K-Tech offer quality, handling and bang for buck!