Track day at Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA

reenmachine

Country flag
I did my very first track day last Friday at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA! It was insanely fun and I'm hooked for sure. I was running 2:05s by the end of the day and from YouTube videos it looks like the fast Ninja 300 guys are running 1:55 so I have a ways to go but I figure that's not bad for my first time ever. The leathers were rentals and the size that fit just happened to be color coordinated :p. Can't wait till next time!

Thanks to CaliPhotography.com for the action shots.

7uygfAhl.jpg

NPqYyB5l.jpg

Treachery

Country flag
Big ups! What did you learn about the bike that you need to address (and or) what do you plan to work on technique-wise for the next trackday?

reenmachine

Country flag
Big ups! What did you learn about the bike that you need to address (and or) what do you plan to work on technique-wise for the next trackday?
Oh man, where do I start? I used to race cars in the SCCA, and the right answer to "where do I spend my money to go faster?" was always a resounding SEAT TIME and that's true here too. I cut over 10s off my lap times over the course of the day and I can see ways to shave time off of every single corner with practice. The event was put on by Fastrack Riders, and being my first time, I had to enroll in the Rider Development School. It was absolutely invaluable -- three riders to an instructor and very individualized instruction.

That being said, tires would help a lot as I was getting squirrelly on the OEM Rosso IIs, but smoothing out my inputs would help that too. I'm positive I would benefit from a suspension upgrade as well. My bike is completely stock, performance-wise, except for the HealTech quick shifter, which worked awesome on the track.

Last edited: