Upgrade to DOT 5 fluid?

Ash797

I took my rc390 to COTA for a trackway a few weeks ago and suffered from noticeable brake fade later in the day. I'm wondering if upgrading brake fluid would help? Would that change negatively affect the ABS system? On the MC it states only DOT 3 or 4 should be used..

Suggestions?

Ryanthegreat1

5.1 Yes, 5 No.

5.1 is code for 4 with a higher boiling point. Marketing BS really. There are a handful of DOT4s out there that have a 600 degree boiling point.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
It will need some better pads for sure, HH or brembo SC when available. A set of abs bypass lines and some proper fluid will do the job. Motul rbf 600 or equivalent. You're not the only one with problem ask gbaby.... The 320 rotor wouldn't hurt either

mr-fabricator

Brembo SC are great . Not tried any others but no complaints from the SC

Standard brakes were very average , removed abs and wer a little better , SC v pads went in and are now pretty good .

Regards lee

Running Double H pads now. Gonna do Chads brake line - ABS up grade and change the fluid to Montul. I only use Motul 600 DOT 4 in the other race bikes. Really bad fading under very hard braking. I found some relief by figure 8'ing the pads every morning on 100 grit and cleaning the track crud off the rotor daily with some 100 grit. Nicole would loose one brake marker distance as they got hot and the day progressed. Will be testing the lines and fluid 5-15 on another technical track (Hallet in OK)

I will test SBS pads soon. The OEM are lacking in QC.

Last edited:

Ash797

Thanks for the clarification on 5/5.1...

I already have some EBC HH pads on and didn't really want to remove the ABS as this bike will also be my streetbike. Currently looking for the 300mm wave rotor to keep me class legal in the club racing org I race with..

I would've liked to make it out to Hallet for the next CMRA round but the weather isn't looking too great for next wknd but I'm still on the fence about it.

Ash797

So I went ahead and installed some speedbleders and bled my brakes with some dot 4 racing fluid a couple days ago. Spent a half day at MSRH for some testing/training and didn't have any issues with brake fade so I'm happy with the fluid upgrade for now. I also found some Vesrah pads to fit the RC while researching options, the pad info can be found in the link..

Catalog

Treachery

Country flag
I have the Galfer HH equivalents. Planning on a fluid flush/bleed in the immediate future; couldn't find 5.1, but I found synthetic DOT4, so we'll see how that goes.

Ash797

I have the Galfer HH equivalents. Planning on a fluid flush/bleed in the immediate future; couldn't find 5.1, but I found synthetic DOT4, so we'll see how that goes.

Not sure where I read it, maybe on the master cylinder, but I thought I remember seeing that synthetic fluid should NOT be used with the 390. I ended up using some Galfer dot4 that I already had. :cool: