Valve Adjustment

DCMoney

Country flag
For the battery tray if you disconnect the black wire at the starter solenoid and pull it out the bottom you can pivot the entire battery tray over the left side of the bike. Feeds back through very easily.

micahpearlman

For the battery tray if you disconnect the black wire at the starter solenoid and pull it out the bottom you can pivot the entire battery tray over the left side of the bike. Feeds back through very easily.

Now that is the type of tip I'm looking for! Thanks!

Fasteddy

Country flag
Good call! That gets it out of the way for releasing tension on the cam chain adjuster! the only small screwdriver I had to fit in there was just long enough that it hit the starter cable...

RC_AB

By the way I read it, it seemed like this would be abit of a tough one but that was easy, It's just time consuming! I had some choice words for that rubber bib on top of the valve cover :D

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Posting here in the name of thread economy.

Three hours into the service visit. Apparently the service instructions from the KTMothership don't address the presence of the ABS module. So...add in that none of the other 390s sold here have been back for service...I'm the beta victi... subject.

K75s

Mine 600 mile service took a long time. New bike and they did not have the shims. The bike looked stripped in mid-service. Runs much better now. Even feels fine on the Interstate.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Posting here in the name of thread economy.

Three hours into the service visit. Apparently the service instructions from the KTMothership don't address the presence of the ABS module. So...add in that none of the other 390s sold here have been back for service...I'm the beta victi... subject.

What does the ABS presence mean in regard to initial servicing?

Treachery

Country flag
From what I'm told, just in the way of the valve/cam access. The engine is buttoned back up now, so I have to take their word on it.

ryandalling

Yes the abs module had to be yanked for doing the valve service. I was yanking it anyway. So oh well. My valves were fine though. :)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
From what I'm told, just in the way of the valve/cam access. The engine is buttoned back up now, so I have to take their word on it.

Gotcha. Ok, yeah I expected I'd just need to work around it or possibly move the wiring temporarily...

I'll try making a video and taking pics while I do my initial servicing this weekend... Might be helpful for some of the folks who aren't as experienced get the confidence desired to tackle the job themselves. Probably will depend on the sheer volume and number of instances of profanity utilized while performing said work... A narration of "ok so NOW we will take the {bleep} {bleep} {bleep} {bleeping} {bleep} and {bleep} {bleep} {bleep} {bleeeeeep} it for the next {bleep} {bleep} {bleeping} step."

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I was able to do it easily without removing ABS unit, unplugged wiring harness and moved wiring aside...

I'm curious (and don't mean to thread Jack here) but why pull the ABS? Is it the brake feel in general or are you finding it inadequate on the track? I have to admit I actually like the ABS, much to my surprise... Admittedly I'm not trying to late brake a pass into a turn, but I've yet to trigger the unit other than when I initially was initially testing the ABS system out by aiming for low traction spots (gravel or wet grass on the side of the road) but I was REALLY impressed with the system. It was controllable, felt good, stopped quickly, with zero drama. Again, street use, not the track, but I'd think even on the track it wouldn't trigger under unexpected times, just zero traction events... Tho I could TOTALLY be wrong there. My prior experience, well my ONLY in fact, with ABS was on a BMW in the Alps where the system did it's level best to kill me by CONSTANTLY going off when I still had plenty of traction remaining... Inducing a number of instances when I had to pull a rabbit outta my ass utilizing ALL of my racing experience to come out of a corner alive due to a bike that refused to slow down and my subsequent knee dragging, helmet scream swearing, sparks flying, carving through turns in the Dolomites.

Based on that experience I approached the 390 with more than a little trepidation... But again, I'm LOVING the ABS on the 390. I can still do Stoppies at the lights, but if I do a practice emergency so and grab a full handful of brake in the wet on the bike she just drops anchor and stops. Fast. Efficiently. No drama.

I will admit... I'm NOT happy that I can manage to bring the lever ALL the way back to the bar. I bled the system and it got better, but still isn't great... But that doesn't seem to be impacting maximum braking... On the STREET at least.

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
I will admit... I'm NOT happy that I can manage to bring the lever ALL the way back to the bar. I bled the system and it got better, but still isn't great... But that doesn't seem to be impacting maximum braking... On the STREET at least.

I hate to go OT, but I'm assuming you are still using OE levers? I thought the "back to the bar" thing was due to the aftermarket levers I'm using.

micahpearlman

I raced with the ABS and without (Chads ABS elimination kit). ABS wasn't horrible but the feel without (plus Brembo pads) is superb. Also the ABS is a lot of weight and clutter. On the street I'm not sure I'd bother (but IMHO I would change very little if I was just riding street)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I hate to go OT, but I'm assuming you are still using OE levers? I thought the "back to the bar" thing was due to the aftermarket levers I'm using.

Yes, stock levers. Oddly enough, I didn't notice it at first when I'd initially picked up the bike at the dealership. On the way home I decided to test the ABS out, and after I managed to trigger it the first time, the brakes TOTALLY went to hell! I dunno if there was an air pocket in there somewhere or what, but after that first ABS trigger the brakes were TERRIBLE!!! I bled them the next morning, and things VASTLY improved, but I can still manage to bring the bar all the way back. I've gotta grab it with 4 fingers and pull hard, but one can still do it. It's not flex in the lines either. I put a machinist caliper on them and there is zero expansion in them. So, either somethings going on in the ABS unit, I've still got air in there... SOMEWHERE... or, the master cylinder just totally sucks. I'm betting on the latter. I can eventually see a master cylinder upgrade group buy in our future on the forum. :)

A1VW2NV

Country flag
I'm curious (and don't mean to thread Jack here) but why pull the ABS? Is it the brake feel in general or are you finding it inadequate on the track? I have to admit I actually like the ABS, much to my surprise... Admittedly I'm not trying to late brake a pass into a turn, but I've yet to trigger the unit other than when I initially was initially testing the ABS system out by aiming for low traction spots (gravel or wet grass on the side of the road) but I was REALLY impressed with the system. It was controllable, felt good, stopped quickly, with zero drama. Again, street use, not the track, but I'd think even on the track it wouldn't trigger under unexpected times, just zero traction events... Tho I could TOTALLY be wrong there. My prior experience, well my ONLY in fact, with ABS was on a BMW in the Alps where the system did it's level best to kill me by CONSTANTLY going off when I still had plenty of traction remaining... Inducing a number of instances when I had to pull a rabbit outta my ass utilizing ALL of my racing experience to come out of a corner alive due to a bike that refused to slow down and my subsequent knee dragging, helmet scream swearing, sparks flying, carving through turns in the Dolomites.

Based on that experience I approached the 390 with more than a little trepidation... But again, I'm LOVING the ABS on the 390. I can still do Stoppies at the lights, but if I do a practice emergency so and grab a full handful of brake in the wet on the bike she just drops anchor and stops. Fast. Efficiently. No drama.

You are able to do a stoppie with ABS engaged?? I've pondered what the outcome would be and I didn't think it'd be pretty!

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Yes, stock levers. Oddly enough, I didn't notice it at first when I'd initially picked up the bike at the dealership. On the way home I decided to test the ABS out, and after I managed to trigger it the first time, the brakes TOTALLY went to hell! I dunno if there was an air pocket in there somewhere or what, but after that first ABS trigger the brakes were TERRIBLE!!! I bled them the next morning, and things VASTLY improved, but I can still manage to bring the bar all the way back. I've gotta grab it with 4 fingers and pull hard, but one can still do it. It's not flex in the lines either. I put a machinist caliper on them and there is zero expansion in them. So, either somethings going on in the ABS unit, I've still got air in there... SOMEWHERE... or, the master cylinder just totally sucks. I'm betting on the latter. I can eventually see a master cylinder upgrade group buy in our future on the forum. :)
This sounds like glazed rotor/pad. Have you noticed any discoloration on your rotor?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
You are able to do a stoppie with ABS engaged?? I've pondered what the outcome would be and I didn't think it'd be pretty!

Yeah. It'll stoppie. You need to play with your brakes/ABS more... :) it's pretty much exactly like with a non ABS setup. Load the suspension bringing your speed down, be sure your tires are warm already, and then nail the brakes hard in the last five or ten mph. Easy as pie. Try it. Worst case you would just trigger the ABS and you'd cone top a fast stop is all.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
This sounds like glazed rotor/pad. Have you noticed any discoloration on your rotor?

LOL, no. I just have high expectations I guess. I'm used to racebike like performance even on my street bikes. I could bring the rear end up off the tarmac going into turn seven in Portland, at PIR, on the racebike... I can do that at eighty mph on the Gixxer on the street. I want stronger brakes than some others I guess.