What Torque Wrench?

Seth

Country flag
Hi All,

I got a Husky 3/8 torque wrench for Christmas. It is rated for 20-100 FT LBS

I want to do an oil change and need to torque to 8 NM

Online conversions say this torque wrench will not work :(

Please advise what torque wrench in the $75/80 range that would work for an oil change as well as general stuff and maybe crash protection and/or bobbins.

sturge

This one will work fine too...I have one similar that I've used for complete overhaul/build for my harley twin-cam a couple of times. Reads in NM or INCH-Lbs
Craftsman.com

Treachery

Country flag
If you're using that spec for the two drain plugs/strainers, anything that'll measure that low should be fine. If you're using that for the two screws that hold the oil filter cover in place...go buy spare screws now. "Snug," with a short-handled Allen wrench or a 1/4" drive ratchet is a) tight enough, and b) near the tensile limit of the compressed gum-wrapper screws used as OE.

JS.

MrGrody

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Searched Home Depot and found they sell em ship to store. Had a gift card, sweet.
Home Depot carries Allen head cap screws that will replace the oil filter cover. T-handle them on tight without having to snap of the stock bolt heads.

AirRsq

If you're using that spec for the two drain plugs/strainers, anything that'll measure that low should be fine. If you're using that for the two screws that hold the oil filter cover in place...go buy spare screws now. "Snug," with a short-handled Allen wrench or a 1/4" drive ratchet is a) tight enough, and b) near the tensile limit of the compressed gum-wrapper screws used as OE.

JS.

Concur. KTM oil filter covers seal very well with the installed O-ring. The bolts require only a smidge more than hand tight. Snug 'em down then give another 1/8 or 1/4 turn-ish. The O-ring does the sealing, the bolts just hold the cover on against the oil pressure.