What's with all the rubber?

yowsaboss

Country flag
It amazes me that a motorcycle with a marginal cooling system has so many obstructions to air passing through the radiator. I've disassembled my bike to make modifications, and there's rubber everywhere! I searched extensively, and the only thing could find was a suggestion by someone who thought these things are there for noise reduction. But it seems like every place for air to exit the radiator is impeded by a piece of rubber. Is this some Euro noise standard or something? It's no wonder these things run hot! Culprit #1 is #35 in the first photo. A huge piece of rubber covering almost the entire rear of the radiator. To reduce fan noise? It's a wonder any air can get through there at all. I'm definitely removing this. This piece, and the one with the hole for the spark plug lead in image #2 does seem to indicate this is about reducing noise. I'm definitely removing #35. Has anyone tossed all this stuff, care to report on the consequences?

ScreenShot.jpgundertank copy.jpgRadiatorarea copy.jpg

Lima6

I tossed mine.

I suspect the rubber is to reduce the heat that passes through the radiator and hits the riders legs causing discomfort. However I only say this because that was the only difference I noticed after tossing it. Its definitely not unbearable but may be uncomfortable in summer or if you live in a very hot climate. I guess removing the rubber is a trade off - hotter bike or hotter rider, you pick.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Toss it. The info I was given by one of the KTM guys I discussed it with at COTA was that it's there to provide some insulation between the motor and the tank to reduce fuel evaporation as part of emissions controls.