Who LOVES their RC390, and why?

cornerslider

I read this forum daily.... There seems to be quite a few negative posts about owners that are NOT happy with their decision to buy the RC390. This negative cycle is getting me down, so I thought I would start a positive post.

I bought my RC with eyes wide open. I read this forum daily, for many months before buying my RC.... I will admit that I was slightly nervous, and chose NOT to follow my "gut instinct" that said NOT to purchase this bike. (My first KTM) I'm proud to say, that I have no regrets! Has my bike been perfect? -no.... Has it been the most fun I've had in my 39 years on a motorcycle- HELL YES!!!!!

I have had few "quality control" issues (as many owners have).... Mine have all been pretty minor- (radiator cap, and a minor crack in my right mid-fairing). I did an aftermarket exhaust, and a PCV (to keep temperatures down). I also chose to upgrade my OEM cooling fan, with the SPAL aftermarket fan that most folks do after their OEM fan fails.... In my humble opinion, if I can spend $40 on a part that may save my head gasket, and possibly a warped head, why wouldn't I do that???? Why wouldn't EVERYONE do the same? Because not everyone in like me.

I seriously LOVE my RC, and wouldn't trade it for any other sport bike on the market today [emoji41][emoji1360][emoji4]!!! I love it because when I'm on track, I can get passed on the straights by "the guy" on the Ducati 1199 Pingalie, and have that same rider ask me "How did you stay with me so long after I passed you?"- THAT makes me smile [emoji4]. IMHO, going fast in a straight line takes ZERO talent... Going fast on a small bike- THAT takes talent!!!

I would really like to hear from other RC riders, that LOVE their bike as much as I love mine. I'd also like to hear WHY you love your bike. Lets fill this forum with positive posts, and maybe cancel out some of the negative posts that seem to be the "norm" here......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KTManny

I just bought mine but feel I am on the same boat, I just love my RC390, I bought it used and was pretty scared by what I read on this forum, as far as I'm concerned people who love their bike will just enjoy it while people who hate it (for good reasons maybe) will make a lot of noise and keep complaining.

I love riding mine and its working out great so far, I hope it stays that way.
I get a lot of compliments for it and its a real head turner.
The guy I bought it from seemed to take very good care of it.
The guy I bought it from made the mods I would have made anyway.
Im saving a ton on gas since my daily driver was an Expedition (I have a big family).

All of that = Happy Manny :D

20161011_215048.jpg

P.S. Its sleeps in my living room.

Muckabucka

Country flag
2016-07-20 17.58.59.jpg
It's still pretty much love/hate with this, but I'm close to making it work perfect. I know I have good help to make that so. Just one minor problem to suss out. It will be making more power in the next couple of months too.

simpletty

Country flag
I had a rough start with mine. There was no love, I took plenty of flak from others on here and it made me sit back and think about why I bought the bike. After deciding it's time to convert this bike for track use and many hours of toiling in the garage it ended up on the track. Everyone loved the bike and couldn't believe it was just a single 370cc bike. Session 1 I was running in the 1:50's. the cbr 300 guys were in the low 2:01 or so. Session 2 1:43. Session 3 1:30. Session 4 I decided let's go for it and went all out and ran a 1:23. After each session guys were stopping and asking me, have you raced before? I replied notbfor 7 years to which I got "Man wow your fast. " That's from guys riding 600's to litre bikes. Actuall 1:23 is fast expert time, the track is compact and you really don't need huge horsepower to make your way around it. Corner speed and drive wins every time and I found that I was able to pass these guys on the corner exits the majority of the time and by time the next corner came around I could block them from passing and and pull a few lengths. The bike handles like it's on rails and has that torque to pull you out of the corner quick. The best part is when you have someone come up to you and tell you they rarely get passed, and you literally blew the doors off them. Looking forward to "playing" around in lightweight super bike next year. I'll even try my hand in the formula 112 class as well. I smile every lap I do. I did race a tz125 back in the day and I'm fully convinced this would kick its butt any day. I loved doing the mods and really bringing it to life, a few more to come and I'll be done for a while. It's out getting a nice new wrap for next years race season. I'll post up the photos and you will know why I love this thing

mattonrc390

Love my CUP bike. 8 Track days and ZERO issues. There's a lot of hate on this forum but it seems overall people are still pretty excited and happy about their RC's. Totally anecdotal but out here in the Bay Area (CA) every single RC owner I've chatted with absolutely loves their RC.

EnergyHOU

I have had my small share of issues but I absolutely LOVE the bike. It's truly an awesome machine. I have 6200 miles, everything running strong.

WA390

Got mine about a month ago and loving every ride. Last bike was a liter bike. I don't regret downsizing at all. So fun to run it thru the gears and she is so nimble! Looking out for known issues but anything that happens will be worth the big grin I have each time I ride.:)

btalont

Country flag
I just had a ton of fun at a track day Sunday at MSR Houston..sucking up bikes with 3 times the HP in the corners only to have them squirt away and suck them up again..frustrating and gratifying all at the same time. That said, anything under 500cc has been toast! Tracking it a year now but still street legal with a number of mods for power and longevity, the bike has been a blast and rock solid so far!

green_bread

Country flag
View attachment 3167
It's still pretty much love/hate with this, but I'm close to making it work perfect. I know I have good help to make that so. Just one minor problem to suss out. It will be making more power in the next couple of months too.

I thought you were selling it? Does this mean youll be racing with us again next year? Im REALLY trying to get more bikes on the ULGT grid. While its exciting to watch Alex and I battle, it would be a lot more exciting to have a few others out there with us! I expect Mike W to have a much stronger showing next year and we have an up and comer in Cameron on his Ninja 300, as well. Should be a good and competitive season in 2017!

CDN Duke

Country flag
Very happy with my Duke 390 so far, still only 800kms, just about to finish break in and get valve adjustment next week before putting it in storage for the winter :-(

Yes, I know this is the RC forum, but it's got lots of good technical info here that's relevant so I frequent this forum as well :)

cornerslider

I started this thread about 24 hours ago. Thanks for everyone that posted [emoji1360][emoji41]. I'm definitely NOT a big believer in "karma", but I may start-

I mentioned at the start of this thread, that I had a crack in my right side mid-fairing. I brought the bike to the dealer last week to see if KTM would cover it under warranty. I was told they probably would NOT cover it, but the dealer said they would try..... I got a phone call from the dealer this afternoon. KTM is covering it under a "goodwill parts warranty"!!!! Call it what you like, they didn't have to cover it but stepped up to the plate [emoji41][emoji1360]. I would like to give a "shout-out" to Pat @ Crosstown Cycle, in Bloomington MN, and also to KTM USA for standing behind their product!

BTW: Muckabucka- I love the bad-a$$ RC you built! That thing looks totally sick!!!!!

KTManny

I started this thread about 24 hours ago. Thanks for everyone that posted [emoji1360][emoji41]. I'm definitely NOT a big believer in "karma", but I may start-

I mentioned at the start of this thread, that I had a crack in my right side mid-fairing. I brought the bike to the dealer last week to see if KTM would cover it under warranty. I was told they probably would NOT cover it, but the dealer said they would try..... I got a phone call from the dealer this afternoon. KTM is covering it under a "goodwill parts warranty"!!!! Call it what you like, they didn't have to cover it but stepped up to the plate [emoji41][emoji1360]. I would like to give a "shout-out" to Pat @ Crosstown Cycle, in Bloomington MN, and also to KTM USA for standing behind their product!

BTW: Muckabucka- I love the bad-a$$ RC you built! That thing looks totally sick!!!!!

+1 for KTM!

zaster

Country flag
I wanted a bike that would be fun for our local race track. After extensive research, I decided on the RC.
Found a left over 2015 at a great deal and loved the bike from the get go.
After some extensive mods, I couldn't believe how much fun this little bike can be.
Even after an overheating issue that the dealership couldn't diagnose or replicate, I couldn't wait to get back on that bike.

veetard

Bought mine (2015) in June. I ride it every day. Kickstand bolts issue known (thanks guys) and a couple minor issues with fairing hardware backing out, but overall I love it. Needs 40 more hp if we're honest but what it does it does quite well.
I just got back from Singapore to LA on business but grabbed these while I was over there:
8b6c48927c64764a5ad68a914d0b4429.jpg

Muckabucka

Country flag
Racing was just not in the cards/schedule this year. Hopefully next year will work out. I probably won't sell this, I'm just going to park it next to the Ducazuki, and maybe start a #38 museum!

I thought you were selling it? Does this mean youll be racing with us again next year? Im REALLY trying to get more bikes on the ULGT grid. While its exciting to watch Alex and I battle, it would be a lot more exciting to have a few others out there with us! I expect Mike W to have a much stronger showing next year and we have an up and comer in Cameron on his Ninja 300, as well. Should be a good and competitive season in 2017!

psych0hans

Country flag
I'm totally in love with my bike. It's been modded to high hell and it's an absolute cracker of a machine. I don't regret buying it for one minute and can't stop staring at it whenever I get a chance...

Attachments

• IMG_4397.jpg
    IMG_4397.jpg
    882 KB · Views: 221