WTF...EPA seeks to outlaw mods of street bikes/vehicles for RaceTrack!

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
We just saw this & had to share since it affects a large majority of our motorcycle community.

>> EPA Seeks to Prohibit Conversion of Vehicles into Race Vehicles<<

When there are so many other things that are bad or much worse for the environment.

We welcome other thoughs & opinions from our forum members

76123470-2191-4715-ba33-dc720522321a.jpg

unicorn_violence

Wow... really? out of all things they want to tighten restrictions on it's production racing? maybe they would feel better about things if we converted a bunch of hybrids into race cars, or maybe rode our bicycles around the track instead. absolutely stupid. why don't they look into more concerns for the environment, like maybe the millions of pounds of nickel and lithium being dug out of open pit mines in china (with no restrictions) to then be put in all the hybrid cars that make us "feel like green warriors" and someone who has "found the future in transportation". not to mention they are going to limit any budget racers of car and motorcycle racing from being able to enter into the sport. :(

i'm glad you brought this to our attention, but you just ended the warm and fuzzy feelings i still had after the broncos won the Superbowl.
now i have been reminded how much i hate my government:mad:

in all seriousness though, i looked at some other articles regarding this and i guess if you remove the emissions systems on the car or bike then it becomes illegal, which is silly because from what i remember cats on race cars can cause a fire risk. however, they will most likely pursue vendors and manufactures of aftermarket parts rather than the individual racer.

Last edited:

Hekimpd

Shoo, I'm glad my lawn mower and snow blower doesn't impact the environment, it's those damn motor sickles.

tecknojoe

Country flag
edit: based on further research, I'm not sure that RRW or SEMA have it right.

"The EPA's Laura Allen released the following statement to try to clarify the agency's position: "People may use EPA-certified motor vehicles for competition, but to protect public health from air pollution, the Clean Air Act has—since its inception—specifically prohibited tampering with or defeating the emission control systems on those vehicles. The proposed regulation that SEMA has commented on does not change this long-standing law or approach."

Last edited:

rick

I think it was always sort of illegal but, since it wasn't for street use it was not pursued by the EPA. If they're gonna start enforcing a no changes to any emissions related equipment then yeah, it's gonna be bad for all racing.

Bobby

From what I've read about it, it seems that they want to make sure their street legal stuff doesn't get tampered with. I don't think it will stop anyone from putting a pipe on that say 'Race use only' and taking it to the track.