Alternate side-stand for track days?

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Understanding the value of removing the stock side stand before I regret not doing so, I nevertheless really want some way of supporting the bike when I stop. I'm not keen to seek out a wall to lean against. And when it comes time to put up the bike on a proper paddock stand, I again would like some temporary support.

I've looked at a few swing arm mounted stands that are made for dirt bikes. They would have to be modified at the least, and might just shift the risk from one spot to another.

Surely someone here has figured out a solution. I don't need a super-robust stand suitable for public parking, just something to hold up the bike for short periods at a private track.

I figure I'll grind off the loop immediately, and that will buy me some time as my skill and lean confidence slowly develop. I wonder if I might also just bend the stand a bit so that it rests farther inboard (not sure if that would conflict with the chain or something else). It looks like I can also grind off the outboard circumference of the foot. With those parts ground off, what would be the next part to touch down? Maybe that would be good enough for a good long while? I'm not a racer, just an old guy on the track.

TIA for any guidance, links, etc.

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The Tyga rearsets allow easy removal of the side stand, but seriously... I -=STONGLY=- suggest you reconsider! We remove the sidestands from track bikes for a REASON!!! There is a REASON all racing organizations require removal!!! A sidestand at track speeds can EASILY put you into low earth orbit. You catch a curb with a tire while leaned over to the right could then launch you at the next left turn. Sidestand safety kill switches exist for a reason. We have to bypass them on track bikes, but only because we have removed the sidestand.

Seriously. You're a cool dude. I don't want to learn you got seriously hurt, or worse, because of your sidestand.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Matt, I created the thread because I do get that the kickstand is risky. Believe me, I don't need convincing, though I don't quite follow the curb scenario (and H2R doesn't have curbs anyway).

In any case, my quest is for some solution that will let me park my bike when I stop for a short break. I'm trying to think outside the box rather than just surrendering.

For example, maybe there is a way to modify the sidestand so that it is easy to remove and then temporarily reinstall when needed (after coming in from the track); that way I'd ride without a stand, but have one when needed. Something like that. It makes me wonder if - just for example - it might be possible to replace the kickstand pivot bolt with a long pin that would be good enough to hold it in place temporarily but easy to pull out and go (would ditch the spring, too).

I'm just trying not to try to invent something if someone else has already invented something better. Or, I suppose, if the forum's collective wisdom has already determined conclusively that there simply is no practical, affordable solution.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I'm just trying not to try to invent something if someone else has already invented something better. Or, I suppose, if the forum's collective wisdom has already determined conclusively that there simply is no practical, affordable solution.

Spools are pretty easy to work with. I have always used a Pitbull stand with spools for my racers and even street bikes for that matter. Pull up next to the stand (which should be right where everything was when you took it off to head out) and hold the bike upright and stead with one hand, and move the stand into position with the other. Once you've got it (reasonably) close with the stand, you can then let go of the bike, push down on the handle, and bingo... it's on. I don't even really think about it anymore these days. I can certainly understand the desire, but would think it would be trickier to try and fit a kickstand back on and hold it in place while trying to insert a pin with... well, a third hand I guess.

I think the dirtbikes solution with either a lift stand (couldn't use a bellypan tho), or the typical triangle stand would be the next best option. I don't know where you'd find a spot of a hole to insert the triangle stand into however.

I remember seeing some sort of stand, a lifetime ago, where there was some sort of funky pivot stand which lifted the bike via the footpegs. Perhaps you could fashion something up where you could slide a pipe over a footpeg and then lean that over, like a dirtbikes triangle stand. If it's just something to hold the bike while you get your leathers off and then go back and put the bike on a rearstand, then maybe that would work for ya'. I've only ever seen that type used in pairs, but I would think it would be possible to build something with the lean angle built into it which could be utilized as a temporary sidestand.

Yeah... so a google search for "Motorcycle footpeg stand" found this:
b2010_detail01.jpgUNIT MOTORCYCLE PRODUCTS

Maybe that would work for you. Personally, I'd still just do the funny dance to get the bike up on spools, but to each their own! :)

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Bravo! I figured I was using the wrong search terms. Thanks a million, Matt!

Now to mull over your valuable perspective on whether it's even needed. At least I wouldn't feel too bad if it were swiped... Unlike losing a Pit-Bull stand.

othebe

Country flag
Another option that I've seen is to get a front wheel chock and have your bike roll up into this when you come in.

Bosco

Country flag
I think putting a bike on a rear stand especially with spools would be just a simple as trying to fit that peg stand...although I've never seen that peg stand used. I did see a guy at the track with a Ducati using a rope attached to his truck bed. When he'd be done with a session, he'd just roll up next to the truck and loop the rope around a clip-on.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I did see a guy at the track with a Ducati using a rope attached to his truck bed. When he'd be done with a session, he'd just roll up next to the truck and loop the rope around a clip-on.
Brilliant! That could be useful for me. I wonder if a brake-holding clip/strap would make it more stable.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Seems to me it would be nice if tracks featured a section of paddock wall covered with short lengths of PVC pipe at varying heights around typical bar height. People could just plug one bar end into a pipe and thus park their bike against the wall with much more security than the balancing-act method I've seen.

How many of you are laughing at me now for overthinking this before I have enough experience to see it's not really an issue?