Bent Brake Lever

Hi everyone, first post. I searched for "Bent Brake Lever" and found this thread from last year. It seems like it's best to simply buy a new rear brake lever when it gets bent. I figured I'd write a new thread now to see if anyone else has had this experience and what the best fix is.

Basically, I fell on my right side going at low speed on a right hand turn. Not a scratch on the fairing, but there are scratches on the bar end and the front brake lever end, and worst of all, the rear brake pedal is bent in, almost touching the exhaust. The brake lever won't operate because it's bent in so far. Fortunately it was not stuck down, so I was able to ride home (cautiously...)

What's the best fix? I hear that bending it back in shape is a bad idea because the aluminum might weaken and fail. I figure $25 for an OEM KTM brake lever is fine. Is it easy to install and calibrate the rear brake myself?

Secondly, should I be worried about the front brake lever? it's just got a scratch on the ball-shaped end, and from what I can tell it's operating fine. But if there's a test I can do to make sure it's still good, I'd like to know.

For reference - brand new rider, owned the bike for 6 weeks - first spill. Haven't down any work on a motorcycle myself but I am handy and interested in learning.

Thanks all.

- phil

whodatschrome

That's awesome that your fairing didn't get scratched!
Replacement parts are fairly inexpensive for the 390. I would replace anything that's bent to keep the bike looking new. Trying to bend back the lever is a bad idea, most likely (as in 100% chance) the lever will just break. The parts are pretty simple to replace. Maybe take some pix before you disassemble if you're concerned about reassembly.

ITZ_RC390

Country flag
Thanks guys. I will take the course and at the same time i am taking my time to learn more about the bike and riding.

hamishl

Country flag
I dropped my RC a few times on the right hand side while at low speed/stopped after losing my balance (I'm a newbie and short, so when it starts going over, it's hard for me to stop it!), and found the brake lever very easy to replace; it bent or snapped each time. However, getting the KTM brake levers in NZ was costing me about $70USD each time, and I got sick of paying that when I could get a set of CNC levers off eBay from china for around $30. Dropped the bike one more time after fitting those instead of the OEM parts, and apart from a scratch on the end of the foot peg, there didn't appear to be any other damage to the lever.

ITZ_RC390

Country flag
Hamishl, I was thinking about getting the CNC levers in eBay too and wasn't sure if it has the same quality as the one from Amazon that cost around $70

commandodave

I now have a set of those Chinese CNC levers on my RC390. They bolted right on and look good. Be sure to Loctite the tips in place before riding, though. I am halfway to the folding tip setup! I don't race, so it is not a high priority. Plus I have the OEM levers for spares if ever needed. I also have a set of the adjustable Chinese CNC hand levers on my ride.

ITZ_RC390

Country flag
I have the weighted stock end bar on my bike so those won't fit the crg error mirror. Your's is different, but thanks for posting up the picture. I decided to just get some of the end bars from eBay and i hope those would work. I also ordered those chinese CNC adjustable levers.

zaster

Country flag
I have the weighted stock end bar on my bike so those won't fit the crg error mirror. Your's is different, but thanks for posting up the picture. I decided to just get some of the end bars from eBay and i hope those would work. I also ordered those chinese CNC adjustable levers.

I had that mirror installed like that with the weighted stock bar end as well.
Just didn't take a picture to show you.

ITZ_RC390

Country flag
HAHA. sorry guys. Zaster never provided me those pictures about the bar end mirrors and i was telling him that the stock one won't work. End of convo! Lets move on.

zaster

Country flag
HAHA. sorry guys. Zaster never provided me those pictures about the bar end mirrors and i was telling him that the stock one won't work. End of convo! Lets move on.
Having two threads about brake levers and English not being my native language didn't help either.

Fasteddy

Country flag
In reference to the more durable CNC foot controls, I just came across these part numbers for KTM OEM replacements.

9053493103333S - SHIFT LEVER forged aluminum
9051395003333S - FOOT BRAKE LEVER forged aluminum

brake.jpgshift.jpg