Narayanan

Hi, I own a 2017 RC 390, I experience knocking in my clutch lever from the day one. So far I've drive 1500km on it. I experience a shock(impact) on clutch lever while downshifting the gears. There is a jerk and loud noise when shifting gear from neutral to first.

Can anyone please share your idea to resolve it.

Chuditch

You should have a slipper clutch in your 2017 RC390, which should make downshifting a breeze, without the need to rev match your engine speed to the bikes speed so much. I would appear something is pretty seriously wrong with your bike. Just note that shifting from neutral to first is a bit clunky but I don't notice a loud noise when I shift mine down. I think you need to get the clutch looked at and possibly adjusted...

isaac_

Do you have video? I think that’s just the gear engaging. Might be no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Narayanan

Now when i go higher RPM I can feel the impact in the clutch lever while upshifting too and it is horrible to ride the motorcycle.

Narayanan

I was able to experience the same effect but minimal in 2017 Duke and also on bajaj dominar. On clean observation over clutch lever many has started to experience the same effects. Clutch lever will shake while shifting the gears.

Narayanan

I request all to kindly focus over clutch lever while shifting gears especially the effects will be intense during high RPM shift.

isaac_

Are you saying the clutch lever at the handle bar rattles with vibration? I race the RC and I’m always shifting at 9-10K RPM and I never have any issues with my lever or clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john13

Country flag
I have that shifting down when i'm going fast approaching a light. It's the dogs hitting a new gear and spinning up i think. Makes a thunk when there is lots of momentum in the transmission and the input shaft has to change velocity to match the new gear output. i think my wording makes sense

Sandeepsan

I am facing the same issue!!!

My rc390 is just a month old and the exact same issue popped up after the first service. I took it back to the service centre but they couldn’t fix the issue. Please let me know if there is a fix for this issue.

Mack

Country flag
do anyone have the fix for this issue
I am in the process of fixing this problem on my 2017 RC by replacing the clutch. First make sure you have the right amount of free play in the clutch lever. If this correct the problem is in the clutch itself. It is difficult to check the run out of the pressure plate because the plate is pulled to disengage. It is easy to do on an transmission that uses a push rod to disengage. Tie the clutch lever to the handlebar, put the trans in a high gear and spin the rear wheel. With clutch cover off you can easily see if the pressure plate is running true. If it is not trying different springs to the same tension or shimming can fix the dragging. The problem I see with the KTM clutch is the problem you have trying to balance a three legged stool. My RC clunks when I shift into first. If I push off and then shift, there is no clunk. The pressure plate is running out and dragging. Before I replace my clutch I have been thinking of doing a video showing the run out. It is fair amount of work to make a setup to do this. If there is enough interest in seeing this, Let me know and I will give it a try.

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
How well is your clutch freeplay adjusted? Too little freeplay can and will cause grinding, hard and knocking gearshifts. Get your freeplay adjusted and see if it helps. If it still pings, we might have to check the release bearing and the clutch assy.