Clutch troubles

mcleotg

Hi all,

I need some advice as I am not very experienced when it comes to working on things!

I launched my bike pretty hard last night and the clutch stopped disengaging. The bike starts in neutral no problem but the moment you put it in first, it launches forwards and stalls. I pulled the clutch apart today hoping to find an issue. The clutch discs look great however the inner hub and the basket seem to be bound and will not spin independently. I do not have a clutch holding tool so I was unable to remove the nut to take the basket out. Any ideas on what has gone wrong?

mcleotg

I just got the post mortem from the mechanic and yeah, clutch basket seized to the shaft. Destroyed a bearing in the engine casing too. They're going to have to split the case.

mcleotg

Perth, Western Australia and the dealer is KTM West. From the stories I've read on here, the North Americans seem to have it pretty bad.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Perth, Western Australia and the dealer is KTM West. From the stories I've read on here, the North Americans seem to have it pretty bad.

Yah, can definitely vary here, that's for sure.

Good to support the dealers that look after their customers though - it's a 2-way street.

I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer on my frame alignment issue... will post up more once I have it all sorted.

Ours did it while the RPMs were at 6k preparing to launch. I still can't believe Jeremy didn't lose it. When your guys reassemble be sure they give the the plain bearing in the clutch basket some extra clearance to the shaft. Your failure like ours was from not enough oil film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcleotg

Ours did it while the RPMs were at 6k preparing to launch. I still can't believe Jeremy didn't lose it. When your guys reassemble be sure they give the the plain bearing in the clutch basket some extra clearance to the shaft. Your failure like ours was from not enough oil film.

I'm surprised I didn't lose it too. Almost looped the bike! I'll ask the guys to do that tomorrow, thank you for the tip!