Coolant catch can needed for trackdays?

Tito_gsx

I have a track day later this week and was going to ride my bike as is (stock). Wondering if anyone is putting a catch can at the end of the coolant hose (the one that dumps out the bottom of the bike). As most know the belly pan isn't sealed so I want to prevent any coolant from getting on the track.Comments appreciated.

reenmachine

Country flag
I haven't done it but I probably will soon. My bike pukes a bit upon shutdown after running hard and it would thus be good to have a small can. There's plenty of room in the bellypan for it (doesn't need to be very big) and it could be easily secured with a screw up through the bottom, which would then be sealed with silicone. Just thinking out loud.

I route the overflow line to the bottom of our belly pan which is designed to hold 3-4 qts of fluid (entire fluid contents of the engine system). Plus we run no ethyl or poly glycol solutions in our coolant on any of our track/race bikes.

If you are running a street version belly pan I'd appreciate a catch bottle on your bike if I was running with you :)

Tito_gsx

Thanks for response. Yeah I would hate to do down because of coolant. I did the same on the supermoto bike so certainly the RC needs one if you have street belly pan

ASM

I have a track day later this week and was going to ride my bike as is (stock). Wondering if anyone is putting a catch can at the end of the coolant hose (the one that dumps out the bottom of the bike). As most know the belly pan isn't sealed so I want to prevent any coolant from getting on the track.Comments appreciated.

I am with gbabyracing...your fellow track riders will more than appreciate if you don't spill anti-freeze all over the track....especially since it is a nightmare to clean up. I would also suggest checking with your track day provider as many require water, water wetter, a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant or poly-glycol ones such as Engine Ice etc.

ArkansasDave

I am with gbabyracing...your fellow track riders will more than appreciate if you don't spill anti-freeze all over the track....especially since it is a nightmare to clean up. I would also suggest checking with your track day provider as many require water, water wetter, a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant or poly-glycol ones such as Engine Ice etc.

Usually that's only for advanced level that requires that. I would swap the coolant regardless though.

mr-fabricator

+1 for Gatorade bottle .

I secured mine at the front of the engine with a couple of zip ties around the bottom rad hose , LHS as your looking at the front of the bike . I also route the crank breather there instead of into the air box.

I check regularly and havnt caught a drop of anything but glad its there .

DCMoney

Country flag
Usually that's only for advanced level that requires that. I would swap the coolant regardless though.

Most of the orgs I ride with require it for all groups. A novice can spill antifreeze the same as an advance rider. If someone can provide some sensible reasons why it's ok for novices to run antifreeze on the track I would push for a rule change in the organization I'm with.