Exhaust removal

tecknojoe

Country flag
What. The. Fuck.

I'm trying to remove the OEM exhaust so I can put on the Akra. The bottom forward most bolt is out, but it seems like the exhaust is stuck there.

I've got the suspension compressed, the header is completely off the midpipe / cat, and all bolts out. It'll wiggle like crazy but I cant get it to fully drop.

Am I missing something? I'm about to take a hammer to this thing

Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
The chrome 12 mm OD sleeve that the bolt goes through is captured in the mounting tabs on the frame, the tabs have a slight recess that the sleeve sits in, tap the bottom of one of the tabs to spread them apart a bit and it will drop right out....

I had same issue, took a while to see it was just pivoting on ....

tecknojoe

Country flag
The chrome 12 mm OD sleeve that the bolt goes through is captured in the mounting tabs on the frame, the tabs have a slight recess that the sleeve sits in, tap the bottom of one of the tabs to spread them apart a bit and it will drop right out....

I had same issue, took a while to see it was just pivoting on ....

Ugh, thank you, I just got it. I had PRK the other day and can't see any sort of detail in there. I used a wrench to pry that little bar loose and was able to get it

D

Deleted member 452

I removed my shock and moved the swingarm up and down when powdercoating my wheels and it still wouldn't come out so I had to remove the bolt from the swingarm and pull it back a couple inches for clearance. It drove me nuts because I've seen videos with people compressing the rear suspension a little and removing the muffler with no problems?!?

Fasteddy

Country flag
Yes, I think there are actually two obstacles to deal with, I had seen the videos / posts about the suspension and this is also described in the shop manual. But the sleeve caught in the insets in the frames mounting tabs was a surprise / total PITA! now that I think about it I believe I tweaked the tabs apart with a little crescent wrench so it would drop out. Once it was out it was clear why it was getting hung up...

Are there any recommended videos for this? I tried opening up the tabs on the frame with a screwdriver and had my friend compress the rear (and stand on it, and jump up and down on it) and still can't get that damn chamber out. I'm close to blowing my brains out here...

Fasteddy

Country flag
I also had to loosen up the front pipe at the head, didn't remove the nuts completely but got the plate slacked enough to move pipe and get more clearance. Service manual calls for complete removal of head pipe but plenty of room to cheat that part...

tecknojoe

Country flag
Yea you should at least loosen the header a lot, or just take it off and get it out of the way.

I used a wrench and put some torque on that little metal piece in between the frame tabs, so I kind of pried mine out rather than push or use weight. I believe I was able to pry mine out at an angle, down and rearward.

Here's a picture of the frame tabs that it's set in, and the bar that you're trying to remove, if it helps

image8.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Loosening the header and having a friend compress the rear suspension did the trick. I'm learning a lot helping my friend build his RC390 race bike. I am starting to know a heck of a lot about a bike that I don't even own...

SWdragon

Country flag
Today it took 2 1/2 hours to remove the stock exhaust. Shock off, along with rear tire....finally with swing arm all the way up against the tail the exhaust finally came off. It was 12 pounds total. What a pain in the ass. Tomorrow I will mount my new Tyga exhaust.

cornerslider

Did mine yesterday in less than 30 minutes. I pryed the 12mm sleeve out of the recessed area with a screwdriver. Then I got the exhaust down as far as i could (until it hit the cases). I gave the rear end one quick compression, and the whole exhaust just fell out onto the floor! I'd guess I'd rather be lucky than "good"....

green_bread

Country flag
I just used a long pry bar and "pressed" the exhaust out of the spot where its caught between the two mounting tabs. I didnt have to remove the shock, but I did have to remove the header.