First mods to make to 2017 rc390?

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and definitely new to bikes. I just bought my first bike (a 2017 ktm rc390) and I'm extremely excited. It hasn't been delivered yet but I do know I want to get the suspension adjusted to my weight pretty soon after I get it. I'm going to be using this bike mainly for commuting but I also want to take it to the track eventually. I'd also like to modify the headlights somehow at some point. Please give this new rider some good ideas of mods to do after I get used to riding a motorcycle. If it makes any difference, I live in northern California about an hour away from Sacramento.

Izu

Welcome MW! Well, I personally haven't changed the suspension weighing under 70kg with gear. The suspension is fine for me on the street, i think the front was a bit lackey on the track, but I don't go often. I swapped the headlight bulbs for LEDs (9000 Lm at 36W) without changing the lenses. Increased the brightness retaining the beam pattern. Definitely works well. Cheap upgrade too ( I got mine for 25 USD and a 3 year warranty) I'll write a post about it soon (when I have pictures).

As far as commuting goes I hate it on this bike. I prefer my 110cc scooter. There are multiple reasons for that, this bike does not like going slow:

1. you're gonna get aching wrists if you're in stop and go traffic because its hard to put the weight on the pegs or your knees
2. The engine is going to heat up pretty quickly
3. Its very tempting to ride agressively with such an agile motorcycle (well this is just me maybe but I think it was worth the mention)
4. It just makes me feel bad about the bike compared to when I'm on the twisties, where this baby is boss. I can bet that it will plaster a bigass smile on your face.

That said, it can be made pretty comfortable for highway scenarios especially for smaller peeps out there, if you live in low traffic conditions, it will probably work out just fine.

Other mods I would suggest you focus them around what you want to do with the bike, from the way you said it earlier I think you're better of making mods for the street instead of performance.

That for you might include getting the MNNTHBX replacement steering head bolt which has a ram mount for your GPS or smartphone. Maybe investing in a bluetooth comms device like Sena 20s. Getting a USB charger. The Powerparts ergo seat. I'mm sure other people will get in some nice ideas as well.

Good luck!!