Treachery

Country flag
Dear KTM: Cotter pins? Seriously? I guess it cost too much to slot the hinge pin and source a circlip, huh? And boy, that right side- nice clearance on the rear master cylinder dust boot. I guess thats easier to access before you install the brake parts.

Stoopid cheap s***s.

Oh. To possibly add something constructive to the rant: I tossed the cotter pins (after too much profanity removing them and having the left side one break). What I used to retain the hinge pins was two ≈1/2" rings (think very small key rings) that split, threaded through the hole, then can float/pivot and not get in anything's way and are going to involve less profanity the next time I need to pull the pegs.

Cotter pins. Hmph.

Ryanthegreat1

The Honda's are all cotter pins, no big deal.

However the KTM pins were crazy hard. Took some pliers and muscling to get them to bend. The Honda ones you can do with your fingers.

Treachery

Country flag
The last bike I swapped pegs on was a BMW, which had a circlip, as does the GS. SWMBO's Ninjette: clip. Guess I got spoiled.

RobbiRob76

Dear KTM: Cotter pins? Seriously? I guess it cost too much to slot the hinge pin and source a circlip, huh? And boy, that right side- nice clearance on the rear master cylinder dust boot. I guess thats easier to access before you install the brake parts.

Stoopid cheap s***s.

Oh. To possibly add something constructive to the rant: I tossed the cotter pins (after too much profanity removing them and having the left side one break). What I used to retain the hinge pins was two ≈1/2" rings (think very small key rings) that split, threaded through the hole, then can float/pivot and not get in anything's way and are going to involve less profanity the next time I need to pull the pegs.

Cotter pins. Hmph.

Really dude? Of all the other issues with this bike, the cotter pins are the thing that got you to snap. I have a CRF450 that I have over 12,000 in that has cotter pins. That bike takes way bigger hits than the 390 will ever see! There is NO stress load on the pins in the assembled product. However, I do enjoy a good rant! With all of that being said, if your KTM is like mine, and by that I mean one of the few still on the road, go ride for the 3 day weekend and remember to honor those who died so that we may ride these poorly built, yet fun when they work POS"s! RobbiRob
Thanks, Robbi

Last edited by a moderator:

Treachery

Country flag
I feel ya. I suppose the rant was partly triggered by the 450 PSI pliers pinch I gave myself...

Ride on...