Front springs

Finally found some time and got the front forks completely disassembled. I now have a front spring swap for the stock forks.

Last edited:

mr-fabricator

Are you changing the oil weight also ??

For production racing here in australia we can use front cartridges but keen to try a " budget " upgrade as my money is vitally needed elsewhere .

What about the rear , i can change the internals but nothing externally , the stock rear shock is to stiff and has virtually zero rebound damping . Any advice on this ??

Regards lee

Ash797

I'd like to hear more about the front spring swap, did you have custom springs made? Stock internals? I'm interested in upgrading my forks but not trying to break the bank.

Ash797 - I just wanted to see what springs and oil only will do. I used some .9 Ohlins straight weight springs I had with a Maxima 7 wt oil upgrade. I will test this on track in the next 2 weeks but I feel good about the numbers I'm measuring. This is not a simple swap. If you haven't done much suspension work I would ask someone to do it for you. It's a tricky disassembly. Roger Albert - On Road Off Road Cycles Home Page in Austin would be a great choice for you. Probably a $300 or so upgrade including labor. I share info with Roger... really knowledgable and good guy!

Last edited:
^ can you use the Cup Bike WP on the rear?

If not you may be able to just replace the shock spring inexpensively with a straight weight version. I don't know, maybe a 550 - 600b unit?

Last edited:

SPG

gbaby: what weight rider? I swapped out to .90 springs for this last race weekend and at 150 lb without gear, the front is too stiff. Even with a stoppie thrown in, I'm only using 100mm of the travel. Also, the right fork leg was easy to refill and bleed and has normal damping, the left leg doesn't seem to bleed correctly and doesn't seem to have any comp or rebound damping. I'm wondering if your forks bled easily?

The rear spring I went with a 7 inch, 2.25 ID 650- pound spring, and the rate seems close, but there is hardly any damping so the back just squats as you come off the brakes entering a corner.

-Sean

Also, the right fork leg was easy to refill and bleed and has normal damping, the left leg doesn't seem to bleed correctly and doesn't seem to have any comp or rebound damping. I'm wondering if your forks bled easily?
-Sean

Are you using the stock street forks? Mine bled fine and both sides have damping.

guzz46

The rear spring I went with a 7 inch, 2.25 ID 650- pound spring, and the rate seems close, but there is hardly any damping so the back just squats as you come off the brakes entering a corner.

-Sean

So the rear end squats even before you get on the gas?

SPG

Are you using the stock street forks? Mine bled fine and both sides have damping.

Yes, stock forks. I'll have to recheck sag; I was working on 3 bikes last weekend and I'm sure I'll get the numbers mixed up off the top of my head.

One fork bled great. The second one would bleed the bubbles out if you moved the damper rod in and out while blocking off the top bleed holes. Once the cap and outer tube were assembled and pumped several times, the oil level would have risen several inches and the damping would be gone. Seems like one of the check plates isn't closing off. I'll have to disassemble and recheck.

guzz46

Yes. As the brakes trail off... Freaked me out before I got used to it. Felt like the back end was coming around but then it stops.

That sounds mighty strange, I'm about 158 lbs in street clothes and mine doesn't really squat at all, even when on the gas, it probably does to certain extent, but it's not noticeable, I've got the shock set on position 7, and I have the forks raised above the top yoke to the second ring, about 5.5mm - 6mm.

SPG

Yes, new straight rate spring on the factory shock. The progressive probably doesn't droop as much when loaded, but I suspect the higher preload and higher, rate when compressed is supporting the back, vs. having compression damping to do the job.

You have an awful lot of spring on the back. I'm having difficulty understanding how you are squatting the rear when you trail off the front brake going into the corner.

SPG

I think it's lack of compression damping coupled with a softer spring than stock. The stock spring is an 8.8 N/mm to 17.7N/mm which works out to around 1000 Lb/in at the top end. When I let off the brakes, the weight transfers back, and there is not enough compression damping to slow the transfer to the spring. Also, the front is (currently) over sprung, which doesn't help much. Ive got some .80 fronts and a 700 pound rear on the way. Would be nice to be able to open the shock and add some damping to it.
-Sean

SPG

From memory rider sag is somewhere in the low 30mm range front and rear. Static sag is zero in the back, and I'm estimating about 15+ in the front. Softer front and stiffer rear springs should help both.
-Sean