GP Shift

Thanks Ash797 for the encouragement to do the switch. I did the switch to a GP shift yesterday. I did end up cutting the KTM plastic sprocket cover to get the clearance I needed. It is a small cut away and hardly noticeable. The real problem is with how to tighten the locking bolt for the shift arm. When you reverse the shift arm the bolt simply won't clear the frame enough to get into the hole. The solution I came up with to do this is to switch to a different bolt with an Allen head. I have a ball end Allen tool that could tighten the bolt. The shifter arm locking nuts were loosened off the to allow for some extra length too. This allows the lever to sit a bit lower. A longer shaft would be good if anone knows of one that will fit with the same threads. parillaguy

CDN Duke

Country flag

If I'm not mistaken, this could be flipped back to normal orientation and function as a short shift kit? Sato Racing does show different part numbers for the two pieces so I do expect they are some minor differences. I'm ordering the generic Chinese version off eBay to go with a set of new Chinese rearsets for the Duke. I don't think I can run GP shift orientation due to crashbars installed on my Duke.

Attachments

• shifter detail.jpg
    shifter detail.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 294

=maz=

Country flag
Is the Duke different to the RC?
Granted I am running Driven rearsets but all I did was flip the OEM shifter-arm on the spline.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Is the Duke different to the RC?
Granted I am running Driven rearsets but all I did was flip the OEM shifter-arm on the spline.

No, they're the same. However, I'm running the optional crash bars which would interfere with the linkage over the top...

=maz=

Country flag
OK...understood.
Hope it works for you, I love the GP shift and since I started racing I have converted all my bikes.

Your link didn't take me to the item on ebay. However if you copy the listing "rear sets reverse shift arm kawasaki ninja 250r 300 650r zx 6r" and paste it into Ebay, you will get the item pop up. Parillaguy

Thanks for the tip. I bought one to try on my KTM. The seller isn't particularly easy to deal with but they are friendly enough :). Looking forward to trying it out. parillaguy

Andy

Country flag
Noted that with the Tyga belly pan there isn't enough clearance between it and the sprocket cover to rotate the shift arm. Also noted the OE sprocket cover is exceptional large for no reason whatsoever, are there suitable smaller alternatives?

shift_love

Country flag
there is enough clearance if you space the mount a little bit on the left. all i did was flip my actuator on the shift shaft, and used a nut between the bolt and the bracket on the tyga belly pan. worked pretty well for me. ill take some pics if you want

kcfcycle

I just trimmed my sprocket cover a little bit with a dremel as others did. It's a fairly small section that needs to get cut out. Added 5 minutes to a 5 minute mod. I'll take a quick pic tonight.

Based on the pictures in the Tyga rear sets fitting instructions, it looks like the Tyga carbon sprocket cover is smaller in that section and wouldn't have any clearance issues. They have GP shift setup in the instructions and have the carbon sprocket cover on. But a couple minutes cutting is cheaper than $75 for a new cover, unless you wanted some carbon bling too.

Lemans_72

there is enough clearance if you space the mount a little bit on the left. all i did was flip my actuator on the shift shaft, and used a nut between the bolt and the bracket on the tyga belly pan. worked pretty well for me. ill take some pics if you want

Can you take a picture of your set up please. Cant put back my belly pan

CDN Duke

Country flag
20170710_225520-1612x1209.jpg20170710_225356-1612x1209.jpg

So, unfortunately can't run GP shift mode with the Ninja piece and eBay rearsets... bit bummed about that. Wondering if I should revert to stock shifter arm. I do very much like the short action shifting currently though...

CDN Duke

Country flag
Never updated this thread... I've since re-spaced everything and got enough clearance to make it work - added quickshifter too.

fd98f6f3b4f75707c0c650641ffd1c04.jpg

Muckabucka

Country flag
To anyone else considering, I wouldn't waste your money. I tried this for the shorter throw, and quicker shifts. Didn't even last an entire track day. Junk....

I ordered the eBay Ninja 250 short shifter piece to try and use as a poor man's short shift kit option for my Duke. Looks like it should work although clearances are tight.

US$16 shipped, hard to beat... Rear Sets Reverse Shift Arm For KAWASAKI Ninja 250R 300 650R ZX 6R 10R 14R ZX14 | eBay

View attachment 3644View attachment 3645View attachment 3646View attachment 3647View attachment 3648View attachment 3649View attachment 3650

CDN Duke

Country flag
To anyone else considering, I wouldn't waste your money. I tried this for the shorter throw, and quicker shifts. Didn't even last an entire track day. Junk....
Are you running aftermarket rearsets?

I'm actually going to go back to stock arm as well. I found I had to snug it up a few times, added Loctite and nylock nut for added security.

More importantly though, I'm now having difficulty finding neutral at stoplights. Not an issue really at the track but for a street bike, pretty problematic. I think the issue is mostly in the lateral length of the arm, the extension off the shift spindle. Worse since I installed the quick shifter which introduces additional play into system as well.

The stock arm has a more secure/rigid interface. I already get reduced throw through the rearset linkage arm and with the quickshifter, it's less of a concern now in any case.

Muckabucka

Country flag
Yes, running tyga rearsets, and I have the same finding neutral problem that you do,but it's due to play in the length of the shift shaft. (too short). Ordered a replacement but it was actually too long(go figure), and will need to be machined to get it to the correct length.

Are you running aftermarket rearsets?

I'm actually going to go back to stock arm as well. I found I had to snug it up a few times, added Loctite and nylock nut for added security.

More importantly though, I'm now having difficulty finding neutral at stoplights. Not an issue really at the track but for a street bike, pretty problematic. I think the issue is mostly in the lateral length of the arm, the extension off the shift spindle. Worse since I installed the quick shifter which introduces additional play into system as well.

The stock arm has a more secure/rigid interface. I already get reduced throw through the rearset linkage arm and with the quickshifter, it's less of a concern now in any case.