has anyone done the first service by your self?

Dean

Hey guys, I was thinking about undertaking the first service at 1000kms. Instead of blowing $200-$300 on a dealer to do it, I was thinking about doing it my self. Really its only a check over and oil change from what the manual says, which shouldn't be hard at all.. Just wondering what you guys think? has anyone else done the first service? or is it recommended to take it to the dealer to get done. Thanks.

big_sur

It also requires a valve check, but if you're comfortable with that, go for it. The only the other consideration I might make is sometimes it's helpful to have a good relationship with your dealer when owning a KTM and if you come in for warranty work later without having the major recommended services done at the dealer, it can be more difficult to get stuff covered.

DCMoney

Country flag
It also requires a valve check, but if you're comfortable with that, go for it. The only the other consideration I might make is sometimes it's helpful to have a good relationship with your dealer when owning a KTM and if you come in for warranty work later without having the major recommended services done at the dealer, it can be more difficult to get stuff covered.

http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/engine-and-technical-discussion/737-ktm-calling-valve-check-initial-service-optional.html

The only the other consideration I might make is sometimes it's helpful to have a good relationship with your dealer when owning a KTM and if you come in for warranty work later without having the major recommended services done at the dealer, it can be more difficult to get stuff covered.

At least the first one anyway. I have always had the dealer do the initial first one just to make it easier if an issue develops in that first period before the next service.

OldVet

My dealer said save your money on the first one, all of the ones they have done didn't need to be adjusted. He also said it is a pain in the ass to do the valve check on these things.

Dean

does anyone know if it will effect warranty if the first service is not done by the dealer but by owner?

guzz46

does anyone know if it will effect warranty if the first service is not done by the dealer but by owner?

After reading my warranty booklet I think it could, it says "your rights are subject to certain preconditions including: the existence of the delivery certificate, all service work has been carried out at the correct time, we recommend servicing by an authorised KTM dealer, please understand your service record proof could be called upon for claim handling, conformation in this booklet that the service work has been carried out, including the dealer.net service registration number"

OldVet

I think recommend is the operative word there.

One could take pictures as they go to verify the service was done.

guzz46

It also says "including the dealer.net service registration number" which my dealer wrote down in my warranty booklet when I had my first service done, you could risk it of course, I personally wouldn't though, not while its still in its warranty.

Dean

ok thanks to everyone for the advice, i reckon ill take it into the dealer to be safe, got a few issues to point out to them anyways! thanks legends!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
After reading my warranty booklet I think it could, it says "your rights are subject to certain preconditions including: the existence of the delivery certificate, all service work has been carried out at the correct time, we recommend servicing by an authorised KTM dealer, please understand your service record proof could be called upon for claim handling, conformation in this booklet that the service work has been carried out, including the dealer.net service registration number"

It is ILLEGAL for a warranty to be denied because an owner performed their regular maintenance. You will want to document it, of course, but you can NOT have your warranty voided simply because you performed the initial service yourself.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

Doing the initial service is no big deal. Yes, getting to the valves is a bit of work. I strongly recommend every owner should be capable of performing this service themselves. If you don't know how, find a local to you forum member who does and ask them if they have time to teach you. I've yet to turn anyone away, so long as they don't have a Harley or a Yamaha. Those ******* are on their own! ;)

I had my first service done by my KTM dealer no worries - had a good look at what was done and noted on the bill - Basically the Dealer changed the filter / oil chain adjustment and checked for bolt tightness etc.. any ways after reading a few
threads on here regarding first service everyone kept mentioning the valve clearances are due for a check at the 1000 k (first service)

Ok so I check in the owners manual - and sure enough the first service states valve clearance requires checking.

Went to the Dealer yesterday and questioned them regarding were the valves checked? His reply stunned me saying that - "Nah they do not need to be checked until the third service which would be a 16,000 ks "

I did not mention that the manual states it to be done but was pretty stunned with his answer.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the 16,000 k answer - and if things went to custard would the warranty still be valid ? Any suggestions would be appreciated . Cheers

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I had my first service done by my KTM dealer no worries - had a good look at what was done and noted on the bill - Basically the Dealer changed the filter / oil chain adjustment and checked for bolt tightness etc.. any ways after reading a few
threads on here regarding first service everyone kept mentioning the valve clearances are due for a check at the 1000 k (first service)

Ok so I check in the owners manual - and sure enough the first service states valve clearance requires checking.

Went to the Dealer yesterday and questioned them regarding were the valves checked? His reply stunned me saying that - "Nah they do not need to be checked until the third service which would be a 16,000 ks "

I did not mention that the manual states it to be done but was pretty stunned with his answer.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the 16,000 k answer - and if things went to custard would the warranty still be valid ? Any suggestions would be appreciated . Cheers

He's full of crap. There are enough folks that have required valve adjustment at the first interval that shows that it needs to be checked far sooner than that. My valves were in spec, but just. I'm sure at the next interval they will require adjustment. That's at 5000 miles / 8046km. Waiting until 10,000 miles / 16,000km to do the valve check would be skipping TWO valve check intervals. Time for a new dealer and a word with your KTM area rep!

OldVet

how in the world do I create a new tread?

all I can do here is reply to existing posts

sos - please help

Click on Forum...

Then croll down and click on the forum you want to post a new thread in. When you do that you will see a tab to click on Post New Thread