Headlight Removal? Major Surgery?

Edwardp33

Country flag
I have decided to only ride on the track and would like to remove my headlights. Short of completely removing the instrument cluster bracket or using my angle grinder; does anyone know the secret trick to removing the headlights or is it major front end surgery?

green_bread

Country flag
I cant remember if I had to completely remove the fairing stay. I think so. Its actually two pieces that come together in the middle and IIRC, some of the wiring goes through it. There are a couple of plastic clips that hold the wiring in place, as well. I wouldnt call it "major surgery" by any means, but its not simply a matter of removing just a couple bolts and unclipping a connector, either. There are several bolts to be removed and it takes a little time. If you do end up needing to split the fairing stay, keep in mind that there are a couple bolts hidden in the round "tube" portion on the side.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
There are also a few options for replacing the front fairing stay. The Tyga one I carry for $178.07, as well as the Rottweiler Performance "modular fairing system" one at $249.95. Both are top flight units.

m3hl

Country flag
I just did this. You need to completely remove the fairing stay. Most of the bolts you remove are to keep in the headlight. I bought the KTM fairing and it actually came with instructions. I can send those to you need them. Then you just open the wiring loom to remove the wiring. It's really straight forward.

EDIT: if you dont care about removing wiring then you dont need to take off the stay. The headlight just unplugs when you remove it.

Last edited:

samp010

What fairing did you get? Was it the one for the Cup bike? Do you have a link to the instructions, as I am thinking of converting to a track bike also? Thanks.

m3hl

Country flag
What fairing did you get? Was it the one for the Cup bike? Do you have a link to the instructions, as I am thinking of converting to a track bike also? Thanks.

I got the KTM cup one. $56 from KTMTWINS. It comes with detailed instructions. It is super super easy.

Edwardp33

Country flag
I purchased a new assembly without the head lamps. Definitely worth it.

90514013000STRUCTURE HEAD LAMP1$45.10
Shipping: Free Shipping (USPS):
Sales Tax:
[h=2]Total:[/h]
$0.00
$0.00
[h=2]$45.10[/h]

Edwardp33

Country flag
KTM world. Got it in 3 days. It did save 2 lbs. assembly with lights 2.8 lbs. assembly without lights 2lbs.

I do not recommend trying to remove the headlights from the assembly unless you enjoy tedium.

Last edited: