Hello from Sacramento

Hey guys,

Been riding for 11 years, I have a GSXR 1000 and a KTM 690SMC currently. I am looking to get an RC390, but was wondering about the 15-16 vs 17 model year.

I understand the relocation of exhaust, bigger rotor, and slipper clutch. The questions is this- Is it worth the difference? 17s are about $7000 OTD. 15s can be had for about $4000.

I plan on using this to hoon around town and take to the track. Planning on redoing the fork internals and Ohlins rear shocks. Besides that, no mod to the motor/tune.
The tracks around here are both kart tracks and places where you'll get to 140mph on the straights.
20170625_205936.jpgIMG_20160618_202434.jpg

Last edited:

kaede

Absolutely depends on your budget and how much you're willing to spend. Obviously if you have the money and don't mind spending it the 17' comes with a lot of nice little "upgrades." Is it worth the extra $3k? Absolutely not. However, for some buying new gives them a bit more peace of mind and they don't mind dishing out the dough for that.

I personally would go with 15/16' and use that extra money for upgrading. Everyone is different, so i say go with your gut and preference. Cheers!

KTManny

Yoyodyne Slipper is $760 if you need one, personally I dont feel like I need it at all (I'm not tracking it).
The only reason I would do the 2017 over my 2015 is the peace of mind that comes with the warranty. :cool:

I'm also thinking do the 15, enjoy the shit out of it, get sick of it, then dump money into for cartages, ohlins, fancy pretty parts. This 15 only had 1690 miles. Bone stock.