Hey from DFW Texas, wow I'm kinda worried now!

TennisFreak

Hey all I am a new owner here in DFW, Texas.

I was super pumped to buy this bike for taking to the track and then I started reading this forum, and some other things on the web, and realize this bike seems to have tons of QC problems!

Now I am almost second guessing my purchase and wondering if I should go trade this thing for a Yamaha R3 (which was my second choice).

A little info about me:

Upper 30's with 3 kids.
Computer programmer.
Own a Kawasaki ZX-10R and a Yamaha Vino 125.
Previously owned a Suzuki GSXR-600 and a Husky TE310. Took both to their respective "track" environments and had tons of fun.

I've been riding for 3 years now and probably have about 7000 miles of seat time on street bikes.
I did a track day a few years ago and loved it.

So I figured that buying this KTM as a dedicated track bike would be perfect. From what I had read it was pretty much ready for the track from the showroom floor and made a great little bike for the track.

unicorn_violence

well i will say that you only hear from people that are having issues with the bike, and never ones who aren't. while there are definitely some QC issues with the bike, its really a hit or miss. i have yet to encounter any issues with the bike besides some sealant worms in the oil screens, which isn't really an issue. there are plenty of other owners that haven't had any issues either. it is a cheap bike however so you might find loose bolts every now and then. keep in mind other bikes in this segment are also built on the cheap side (r3 just had a recall for its triple clamp snapping during riding).

TennisFreak

Good to know.

So far I have about 200 miles on it and they have all been an absolute blast!

One question I have is does everyone front caliper seem to "whine" when pressing the brake?
Seems like any time I really press on the front brake I can hear it make a noise almost like its coming from the caliper or brake line itself. It is not a brake pad or rotor noise.

green_bread

Country flag
Mine makes a kind of "pshhhh" sound. It sounds like the pads are going over a crosshatched surface or something. The pads also squeak pretty bad on mine.

TennisFreak

Has anyone replaced their brake lines with stainless steel braided lines?

Front brake feels awfully "squishy". The bike stops just fine it just takes more force or lever travel than I am used to.

cornerslider

Give it a little more time..... Mine didn't really "bite" until after around 400-600 miles. I thought the brakes were terrible for the first 200 miles. Now, I feel completely comfortable (even on track) one, or two-finger braking-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diploman

The OEM brake lines are in fact steel braided, plastic covered. The ABS system seems to encourage a bit of air to collect in the brake system over time. It benefits considerably from a regular application of the "overnight squeeze" maneuver: Tie the brake lever to the handlebar, under pressure, with a ziptie, duct tape, rope, whatever, and leave it overnight. The pressure forces air out of hiding places in the system and it exits via the brake reservoir. Works surprisingly well. When properly bled, the ABS system exhibits very little "squish".

Chris The Welder

Congrats, and welcome. I have had my RC for 15 months and it's given me nothing but pleasure. Not one issue, zero problems. I've owned bikes since the mid '70s, lots of bikes. The RC is one of my favorites.

zaster

Country flag
Congrats, and welcome. I have had my RC for 15 months and it's given me nothing but pleasure. Not one issue, zero problems. I've owned bikes since the mid '70s, lots of bikes. The RC is one of my favorites.

I'm with Chris.
Mine has 1K miles on the clock and I couldn't be happier.
My poor Ducati 1199R has been sitting in the garage ever since I bought the RC390, go figure....

Fangio

Hi TennisFreak, you made a good choice. I bought a second hand bike a few months ago for track days. One day so far and no problems, just fun. 64 year old, been riding 47 years, countless bikes and this one is fun! Just ordered a smaller rear sprocket (43 teeth) from KTM - MNNTHBX to get higher speed in some gears (mainly 4th) between corners, and maybe a bit higher top speed if it will pull it. Best so far is indicated 178kph (about 171 actual by GPS). Next track day in August to try the new sprocket (Sydney, Australia).

Treachery

Country flag
Can recommend bypassing the ABS with stainless lines. (AHEM) available from one of the forum sponsors (AHEM).

BTW 1) Welcome!

BTW 2) So far so good on mine as well.

Read up on the popular mods, and the "keep an eye on it" issues.

OldVet

10K on mine in 11 months and no mechanical issues period and the valves have not had to be adjusted to date. I really didn't like the feel of the breaks and put some HH pads on, big improvement in feel and stopping power.

Take the bolts out and loctite the crap out of everything before they all fall out and you will be good to go...

Old3

Country flag
Im a 50 year old vet A motocrosser, riding 38 years now, every type of street and dirt and up and down from 50-1200cc. I had a R3 while owning the RC, its a better overall package as a street bike. Better stock everything. Better spread of power, better gearbox, better clutch, better brakes, suspension tune.... Everything.

The RC bone stock I dont think does anything as well. Even on a tight kart track it would be bouncing all over the place.

On the R3 my only complaint was the shock would kick on big rebounds a little. My list of suspension issues with the RC was far longer to say the least! I added a 4 pot caliper, big master and SS lines to the r3. Bike had good balance, I would have done an Ohlins rear shock at some point, them maybe fork stiffening to match but it wasnt the emergency it is on the RC.

i sold the R3 because I had already dumped big $$$ into the RC brakes, suspension, tune, seat, etc.... And it still has huge vibrations, doesnt pull the low RPMs. Id rather be on the smoother engine with broader torque and not dancing on the shifter on every hill.

Ive had no problems with my RC at 4,000 miles, but Ive done quite a few things to keep it cool and have my fingers crossed all the time. The .yamaha was a no worries bike. I spent yesterday nipping at the heels of my buddy on his SMT990. I had a SMR950 five years, great bikes. The R3 would have been just as good to play on, but my hands wouldnt still be asleep today and Id have shifted about half as often.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

TennisFreak

Thanks for the welcome and comments everyone.

Very nice to hear some of you are having no issues with your bikes and loving it.

OldVet

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the stock shock is junk, I replaced mine with a jRI shock and I'm very pleased with it, major difference...

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hey all I am a new owner here in DFW, Texas.

Welcome TF! :) You'll find there are a few of us here in Texas. I'm just "down the road" here in the Austin area, and can help you with your suspension and getting the bike to handle correctly. You didn't mention your weight, but if you are over 140# in gear, then the suspension is going to be just this side of dangerous to push on. Being a member of the Big Boy Club myself (6'3" and 22#) suspension was one of the FIRST things I had to deal with... including fabricating a steering damper kit for the big guys like myself pushing the bike hard. If you make it down to AUS, feel more than invited to come swing by the shop and see the place, as well as gander at the available carbon fiber for it! :)

TennisFreak

Welcome TF! :) You'll find there are a few of us here in Texas. I'm just "down the road" here in the Austin area, and can help you with your suspension and getting the bike to handle correctly. You didn't mention your weight, but if you are over 140# in gear, then the suspension is going to be just this side of dangerous to push on. Being a member of the Big Boy Club myself (6'3" and 22#) suspension was one of the FIRST things I had to deal with... including fabricating a steering damper kit for the big guys like myself pushing the bike hard. If you make it down to AUS, feel more than invited to come swing by the shop and see the place, as well as gander at the available carbon fiber for it! :)

I'm 6' tall and ~180 without gear. I was hoping that I could just turn the rear suspension a few clicks to firm it up and be ok, will that not be enough?