Help installing rearsets

tecknojoe

Country flag
edit: I'll stick something through the axle as I pull the axle bolt out and install each rearset

I'm installing the driven rearsets. I want to make SURE before I pull the swingarm bolt. You have to:

put the bike on the rear stand
put jack stands under the front of the swingarm so the swingarm doesn't drop
put a jack under the engine to support the front of the bike (with the front tire on the ground or on a frontstand)

With all of this, are you ready to pull out the swingarm bolt? If I leave the rear shock in, will it force the front of the swingarm down so hard that I won't be able to align again, or do I take the shock off first?

Here's my current setup (don't mind the kickstand, it's just dangling there). Am I good to continue?

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
That sounds right. While you have the swingarm pivot bolt/axle out, be sure to grease the bushings. There's a thread on here about that that will be helpful.

tecknojoe

Country flag
I noticed it was dry, thanks for the info. I greased them while I was in there

What a fucking pain in the ass, but I got it done. Don't know why KTM had to put the swingarm bolt through the rearsets

For anyone else, I bought a rod from home depot that was roughly the same diameter as the swingarm bolt. as I pulled the swingarm bolt, I pushed the rod through to hold everything in place. I highly recommend doing that, to keep everything someone aligned.

UMZenki

i just hung the frame from an I-beam in my garage with a ratcheting tie down while the bike hovered over a rearstand. actually wasnt that bad, but pretty awful by comparison for a normal rearset installation.

do you have good clearance on the shift side between the mounting bracket and the swingarm?

Treachery

Country flag
Yeah, well, I don't gots an I-beam. So it's props, boards, jack stands, rear stand, and prayer for me when the shock comes in.

:rolleyes:

tecknojoe

Country flag
I wish I had an I-beam to tie to, it felt pretty sketchy

My clearance between the shift side rearset and the swingarm is pretty close, but passable.

hydroz1

I have the ktm-cup rearsets on order and I'm guessing this scenario will be the same when I have to install the rearsets. Will post pictures of my i-beam setup like Treachery's.

V