How many miles + problems thread

stevieboy

Country flag
The story goes that KTM spent $14 million on the RC8. forty engineers working 30 months. They blew up over fifty engines on the dyno and had over 30,000 road miles on each prototype. Is it any wonder they had nothing left for the RC and Duke 390?

Rexbo

Country flag
I'm glad there still moving on it! What is that? 24 days at SBM as of today? I'm starting to feel like no warranty repair can be done in less than a month.

Keep us posted!

Yeah something like that... but I'd bet that's fairly normal for warranty stuff. At this point since I'm on work travel I can't play with the bike anyway, so it works out.

reenmachine

Country flag
1711 miles, 19 days past warranty...

Had just pulled off the track yesterday where everything had been running perfectly for several sessions. Idled through the pits and when I pulled the clutch in to coast into my garage space the engine quit. No unusual noise or anything, it just died. I fired it up and there's a loud internal metallic rattle. It really sounds like a cam chain tensioner or something but it could be anything. I haven't had a chance to investigate yet. The engine starts just as quickly as ever and idles smoothly, there's just the loud rattle.

Ideas?

Dygear

~1300 the fan failed while on a long ride. The bike over heated (moved one bar into the high coolant temp) and turned it's self off. Can I replace the fan with the Spal 5.2 Puller without voiding my warranty?

Rcdan

Just curious , did the bike get hot while sitting at idle or while riding down the road. It seems very strange that it would get hot while moving. Unless something failed like the water pump or head gasket.

Dygear

While stopped at a red light after a long stretch of high speed running on the freeway. The nose from the fan dying makes me think that a ball bearing failed. The bike runs currently and is happy as long as it's moving, but any time you need the fan (like at a stop light) the bike will climb the heat meter pretty quickly. Once I start moving again it comes back down, making me think that it's only the fan and nothing else failed like the head gasket or water pump.

EnergyHOU

Yup, sounds pretty standard to me. My dealer had the bike in and out in one week, no issues. Also let me know that the new fan they put on was a different design. At least according to KTM. Not sure if I buy that or not but noteworthy nonetheless.

OldVet

update...

10,562 miles on mine in 12 months and no mechanical issues period and the valves have not had to be adjusted to date. I really didn't like the feel of the breaks and put some HH pads on, big improvement in feel and stopping power. The rear shock is junk so it was replaced with a JRi shock, major improvement... and
I took all of the bolts out and loctite the crap out of everything before they all fell so no issues to speak of there...

Rcdan

Same here but a lot less miles. Only 2k so far but trouble free. Also it seems as though it is noticably smoother as the miles go up. Pulls cleanly from about 50 in 6th gear now. Which it did not due when new. Of course the airbox mod and pcv have a little to do with it.

Dygear

Yup, sounds pretty standard to me. My dealer had the bike in and out in one week, no issues. Also let me know that the new fan they put on was a different design. At least according to KTM. Not sure if I buy that or not but noteworthy nonetheless.

REALLY! I was thinking it was gonna take a month so I skipped my appointment. Might reschedule if that's the case AND if they are replacing it with a freaking fan that doesn't fail.

Same here but a lot less miles. Only 2k so far but trouble free. Also it seems as though it is noticably smoother as the miles go up. Pulls cleanly from about 50 in 6th gear now. Which it did not due when new. Of course the airbox mod and pcv have a little to do with it.

Oh yeah! PCV will be the one that does that transformation in 6th. After ~1300km it still isn't quite as happy to be @ 50mph in 6th at full pull with the clutch fully out. I'm not sure what the RPM is at that speed but I do get a little judder from the engine.

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Around 850 miles. Blown Head Gasket. :mad::mad::mad:

I believe your headgasket let go at COTA, and it just took the extra track sessions to fully reveal itself... it's certainly got to be the cause of your overheating at COTA... Or the overheating warped the head which caused the gasket failure. A bit of a chicken and the egg, but my guess is when we pull the head we'll see that the head is warped. Poor gasket never stood a chance.

Jeff Frazier

I'm also thinking/hoping it's the water pump. That would explain the high temps at COTA, and the overheating at MSRC. My coolant level was low, and there is definitely contamination in the oil, but the exhaust did not blow smoke. Water can enter the crankcase via a bad water pump...

I have not torn the bike apart yet, because I want to talk to the dealer first.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I'm also thinking/hoping it's the water pump. That would explain the high temps at COTA, and the overheating at MSRC. My coolant level was low, and there is definitely contamination in the oil, but the exhaust did not blow smoke. Water can enter the crankcase via a bad water pump...

I have not torn the bike apart yet, because I want to talk to the dealer first.

AFAIK nobody has experienced a failure in THAT specific mode. The most common issue with the waterpump is the nut backing off. That might cause an overheat, which could also then blow the gasket... but occam's razor would suggest it's just the head gasket went boink because the head wasn't skimmed flat enough by Bajaja upon initial manufacture... just like all the rest. When the gasket let go, it started dumping coolant into the crankcase, which escalated as the head no longer was cooled enough... so the head warped, eventually resulting in the plug fouling and bike wouldn't run no more, and you threw the towel in. I don't judge tho. Quitter. :)

D. Flynn

650 miles, 2015 model. Low oil pressure warning. At the dealer 2 weeks, service manager put 15 miles on it the first day with no issues. I asked them to ride it again. No word since.

jjtard

650 miles, 2015 model. Low oil pressure warning. At the dealer 2 weeks, service manager put 15 miles on it the first day with no issues. I asked them to ride it again. No word since.

Keeping my fingers crossed....I bought a 2016 and just now passing the 820 mile mark with no issues. Hard break-in miles also.

Oil change at 150miles and another at 750miles.
Dumped coolant and rubber hoses, upgraded to samco hose kit and 1.6 rad cap at 700miles. (also removed rubber boot over top of engine and removed rad shroud)

D. Flynn

Dealer called 60 miles and no low oil pressure warning. They said they called KTM and was told there is some type of flap/ valve near the sensor that may cause it. I was told if it comes on, verify oil level via sight glass and keep riding. They ordered a neutral switch so I can't pick it up yet. Hopefully I can speak to the tech and hear more about the loose description I was given on the phone. Love the bike, afraid to ride further than walking distances now

rick

Just because I'm well into my second month at the dealer with a Low Oil Pressure warning light: FWIW, first they replaced the oil pressure sensor and it kept happening, then they replaced the oil pump and it kept happening. They're up to replacing the entire dashboard but, I haven't gotten an update from them on that yet. From my perspective, they been replacing parts in order of the least to the most expensive. Seems like it would have been easier to do an oil pressure test and eliminate mechanical issues in the first place. Of course, the KTM tool for that is hella expensive.