simpletty

Country flag
I would love to destroy a canyon or take it to the track....but unfortunately it keeps breaking. Most expensive bike, worst suspension and least reliable so I am not sure what the tradeoff is. Go buy a new car cornerslider,, and then have it in the shop three times with major repairs before you hit the 1000 mile mark. Im sure your story would change really quick as to how much you enjoy the "new car"

simpletty

Country flag
Maybe I'm too new to the RC390 (just got my 2016) to even have an opinion, but if my bike blew up tomorrow- I'd be very disappointed, but I could deal with it..... You get what you pay for- PERIOD. I could have picked a competitors bike, but I didn't.... I picked the KTM RC390 for one reason- it kicks the crap out of anything in it's class!!!! I bought a CBR250R for my wife last year. What an awesome bike!!!! Best bike I've ever ridden for running around town. It has a much better build quality than the RC, and smoother/easier to ride, and less expensive to buy/operate.... I'm nearly certain it will out last my RC390. But- I wouldn't be even close to as happy with the CBR250R as I am with my RC390. To put it into basic terms- the RC390 is a track bike that happens to qualify for a street tag, and sells for under $6000 USD. If you want "bulletproof" reliability, buy a Honda Goldwing for $25,000+. If you want to have a blast on a track, or destroying a canyon, buy an RC390, and quit bitching about "poor quality", blah-blah-blah-

Well hope you are one of the lucky ones who doesn't experience any issues,. If you are not, and have to take it in multiple times to be repaired the only bike you will be ripping canyons on is a SCHWINN. The RC390 is not even close to a competent track bike unless you spend !/4 of the total price of the bike on suspension upgrades. Just because they have a cup series does not make this a track bike at all. The lower fairing on the 15 also needs to be replaced if you are pushing it on the track, the rearsets are also not "race bike" material either. So it may be geared towards track use, its no where near track ready. Ive raced many bikes and this one sits below mid pack to be a race ready machine. Just because the dash says so, doesn't make it true. I may be bitching but I have a legitimate reason to, make a bike that's worthy of paying for. Its the most expensive in its class and the least reliable as some had stated.

=maz=

Country flag
The RC390 is not even close to a competent track bike unless you spend !/4 of the total price of the bike on suspension upgrades.

The bike cost me less than $6k(AU) and I spent $600 on suspension upgrades and another $1500 on race glass, rearsets and crash protection...I purchased more but that would be the minimum required to track the bike IMHO.
Not that bad...could have spent much more setting up a supersport/superbike...could have spent a lot more on the RC390 to, if my skill warranted it, but it does a great job for me at the track.

MotoKam

I've had my RC390 a few weeks short of a year and put 21,115 miles on it, mostly at 80 + MPH on the freeway.

For $7,000 I think I've gotten my money's worth.

The biggest problem was a hole in the piston. I feel the three overheating incidents that were caused by the unplugged and substandard cooling fan led to this failure. That and the loose kick stand are the only two build quality problems I have had so far.

The dealer did the kick stand as a "courtesy" repair. I did all the other work myself.

Since this bike is about as easy to work on as any new sport bike I've ever seen, I'm satisfied with my first KTM owning experience.

Enjoy your RC. If you don't know how to fix a motorcycle, take this opportunity to get a $300 table lift and a few tools. There's probably no better street bike to learn how to wrench on.

micahpearlman

The bike cost me less than $6k(AU) and I spent $600 on suspension upgrades and another $1500 on race glass, rearsets and crash protection...I purchased more but that would be the minimum required to track the bike IMHO.
Not that bad...could have spent much more setting up a supersport/superbike...could have spent a lot more on the RC390 to, if my skill warranted it, but it does a great job for me at the track.

If I was going to pick any of the lightweights (Ninja, R3, CBR300) to go race straight off the showroom with zero modifications it would be the 390 hands down. To make it quite good at the track: $200 for a used R6 shock from Formula390 and $200 for knock off eBay Chinese made rearsets will make a very competitive and capable lightweight bike. Not sure you can say that much about the other lightweight bikes.

<warning-oldguy-rant> As far as reliability and build quality goes, I'm sure a lot of you are old enough to remember the street 2-strokes from the 70s and 80s and still being ridden by young hooligans with no money into the early 90s. Those things were horrifically awful. Amazing fun when they ran, but maintenance and reliability nightmares. The smart choice back then would have been to pick something like the Honda CB500 (or any 4-stroke UJM) over the Kawasaki H1 or Yamaha RD350. I always choose the Kawasaki H1 (or RD/RZ) because they were cheap badass hooligan GP bikes for the street, not because of there ease of use, reliability or value per dollar. </warning-oldguy-rant>

cornerslider

WOW.... Lots hits today! I hope didn't piss anybody off- (seriously). The point I was trying to make, was that when you ride the upper end of performance (in any class of bike), you have a trade-off.... That trade-off is usually "horsepower-for-reliabilty".... I've found that it's a delicate balance between wrenching, and smiles. I used to ride supermoto on the track... Riding a SM was the most fun I've EVER had on two wheels!!!! I "lost my smile" when wrenching/parts replacement was taking more time than I was riding. As many people seem to question the reliability of the RC, I know in my heart, that I will spend less time wrenching on this bike, than I did on my SM bikes. I commend KTM for what they've done with this bike. When this class of bikes has turned into a race to the lowest price-point, I still know in my heart that KTM did what they could to be competitive , and still maintain their edge of being "ready-to-race". I have never owned a KTM before. I just know I like what I see in the RC390-

simpletty

Country flag
Been riding Yamahas and Suzukis for almost thirty years. I'm not used to making warranty claims.
Exactly. Owned 5 Yamaha r6 bikes. Never had one warranty claim ever. Literally rode the wheels off them. Raced a Yamaha tz125 gp bike. It never broke down in two seasons of racing. Tires and fork seals was all I did. One piston a year. In this day and age how do we accept oh well I just had one engine failure, or the fan blade blew off. Would you accept these problems if you purchased a new car, a new budget car? Products are engineered better than back in the 70's and 80's. KTM has sacrificed reliability for cheap parts. It's not a real race engine guys. A real 4 stroke race engine is on a dirtbike or a moto 3 machine. This engine may have a few more hp than the R3, which is a cheaper bike and a ton more reliable.The R3 will outlive the RC 390 10 times over. If Yamaha had built the R3 with a more race orientated design they would not have sacrificed quality it's not what Yamaha does. Don't get me wrong I too was in love with the KTM but now with the issues that have happened in 417 miles, the love affair Is over. I didn't pay close to 6000$ to have a bike that I get to ride every now and then and when it breaks go oh well it's a race bike so I accept it, it's not a race bike it's meant for everyday use people. Those of you who have had no issues are lucky. But from reading it seems there are plenty of people who have had multiple issues. I called KTM customer service multiple times so far with no response whatsoever. I really can't say anything good about the experience so far. I really can't wait to get away from the bike actually. Been informed by the dealer KTM has authorized the engine tear down to see what's wrong internally-417 miles- I'm literally disgusted. Maybe they will be done in a month so I was told. Good news is for everyone else who's looking for some good parts I have a new k and n filter, rad cap, PCV and a r6 rear shock setup along with a full akra pipe up for grabs shortly. Pm me if you want any of this stuff.

=maz=

Country flag
Tested the R3 before buying the 390...there is no comparison between the 2 bikes.
The 390 is a race bike in sheeps clothing...the R3 and N300 are street bikes that you can take racing.

You seem really pissed at KTM but if I was you I would be asking what the dealer is doing for you...they are the ones that took your money and complete the warranty forms, they are the ones that can make the work a priority or not, they are the ones you have a direct relationship with(not KTM).
The venom in your posts is quite palpable, as it was when you were blaming the PCV for your bike problems, but you seem to be thrashing yourself into a frenzy by going in circles posting the same rant in multiple threads.
I'm sorry that you are not happy.
I really do hope you can get it sorted and not be out of pocket.

What is your dealer doing to help you?

simpletty

Country flag
Tested the R3 before buying the 390...there is no comparison between the 2 bikes.
The 390 is a race bike in sheeps clothing...the R3 and N300 are street bikes that you can take racing.

You seem really pissed at KTM but if I was you I would be asking what the dealer is doing for you...they are the ones that took your money and complete the warranty forms, they are the ones that can make the work a priority or not, they are the ones you have a direct relationship with(not KTM).
The venom in your posts is quite palpable, as it was when you were blaming the PCV for your bike problems, but you seem to be thrashing yourself into a frenzy by going in circles posting the same rant in multiple threads.
I'm sorry that you are not happy.
I really do hope you can get it sorted and not be out of pocket.

What is your dealer doing to help you?

Well ill as far as the PCV goes I still have no explanation as to why 10 min before install I have a perfectly working bike. Then on key on start up it completely goes sideways. Chad wells said the PCV tested fine on his bikes. Well obviously mine didn't like it one bit but that's a whole other argument that I won't win so I'll lay down and blame the bike. The dealer is doing everything possible to get the bike fixed. Warranty submitted with approvals to tear down and inspect the engine ect... My beef is I've ridden the thing a handful of times and it's unreliable. You are right there is no comparison between the R3 and the 390. I own both. The R3 is reliable and won't let me down. Agreed it's not as agressive as the 390 but as far as a street
machine it runs circles around the 390. I'm not circling and I'm actually disappointed in my lack of judgment when it came
to buying this bike. I let the looks fool me, you are right about it having sheeps clothing. It's really a bad example of what a good bike could be if they tried just a bit harder but they fell short and the guys who have broken bikes either accept it or bitch. I don't accept it so I bitch kick scream and moan. If you don't like that don't read it, simple enough. If you are willing to rebuild a bike over and over again because it breaks good on you. I would take reliability over that any day of the year. Anyway I'm done complaining about this bike, if you are reading this and considering buying one by no means be afraid just make sure you have lots of patience when it's broken down. Just to give you my list of issues I had so far here goes

1. Day one brought home from dealer and canister hoses burning on exhaust that melted the left hand fairing right through. Dealer picked up bike and warrantied it. Still awaiting fairing from KTM, it's been 8 months
15 MILES ON BIKE
2. Bike stalling at lights,bike stalling when clutch pulled in and about to downshift. Dealer trip 2 no fix found.
110 MILES ON BIKE
3. Bike spewing coolant out of overflow. Dealer trip 3 could not fix
200 MILES ON BIKE
4. Brake fluid leaking out of master cylinder. Dealer trip 4. Replace master
220 MILES ONE BIKE
5. Cooling fan vibrating and shaking like mad. Dealer trip 5. Replace cooling fan
350 MILES ON BIKE
6. This is the last episode with the PCV. Cel on fan running full blast all times and side stand indicating down at all times. Dealer picked up bike. Dealer indicated engine blowing blue smoke. Was told bad Ecu and engine tear down required
417 MILES ON BIKE

so tell me you would be excited to own this shit storm with 417 miles on it!!!! I doubt it. Trust me I have every right to be venemous with my posts. This is the first time I listed a detailed report of its issues. It's been a bad experience from day one. KTM should be embarrassed letting something like this bear it's name. Sadly others would accept these problems because they are blinded by it's so called fun factor and ready to race motto. Good luck with your bikes fellas and I hope you don't have problems with them and enjoy them. It really could be a great machine but for me it's fallen quite a bit short. It's spent more time on the dealers bench than any other bike I've ever owned. Granted if this bike gave me no trouble I would love it as much as the rest of the people do, but with this many problems so far its just sour and no matter what,its always in the back of my mind that something else is on the horizon ready to fail. That being said Im done with the thread, parts are up and ready to be sold.

Last edited:

ray

390/200 series are unreliable but you unfortunately got a lemon. I have a friend who had the same experience with his 200.

Last edited:

=maz=

Country flag
The dealer is doing everything possible to get the bike fixed. Warranty submitted with approvals to tear down and inspect the engine ect... My beef is I've ridden the thing a handful of times and it's unreliable.
I wouldn't be happy...I understand your pain, I've owned machines that required repair in the past when they shouldn't have needed it.
You now sound like you're angry at me.
If you've done nothing to void the warranty ask your dealer to organize a replacement bike or a refund so you can walk away...let them argue the problem with KTM.

That would be a dealer doing ALL they can to help you when you've got a lemon.

simpletty

Country flag
I wouldn't be happy...I understand your pain, I've owned machines that required repair in the past when they shouldn't have needed it.
You now sound like you're angry at me.
If you've done nothing to void the warranty ask your dealer to organize a replacement bike or a refund so you can walk away...let them argue the problem with KTM.

That would be a dealer doing ALL they can to help you when you've got a lemon.

Im not angry at anyone, just at the bike KTM made. I
don't want another one to replace this one either. I just bought a R6 so the happy is back and whenever they have the 390 repaired I will figure out what to do with it. I'm pretty sure it won't be fixed for at least two months or more and that's 2/3 of prime riding season gone. But I have a shiny new Yamaha to ride that won't let me down so between the Harley the R6 and R3 I won't be bored. The KTM can collect dust waiting for parts at the dealer. If it goes on more than two months I may have to step in and see what kind of action I can go forward with, possibly buy the machine back or trade for a sack of potatoes. Who knows but for now it's broken and it sorta makes me laugh and shake my head. It's gone beyond the point of caring anymore so whatever happens happens. If I keep it I'm doubting I'll ride it much and if I do I'll abuse it in every way possible out of shear anger due to the anguish it bestowed upon me from day one. I guess it's now my like a red headed step child.

Major

I guess I should count my blessings, had the bike for a year, been flogged at the track and ridden on 300 mile days. Have not had a single problem so far.

stevieboy

Country flag
Having variances from no problems to MAJOR recurring problems leads me to think there is NO quality control in place at all 1

Fasteddy

Country flag
It's interesting to note that on mine, no problems / 1 year+ / 3500 miles, there is a blue permanent marker 'OK' or marking on just about every bolt. I just changed the oil and inside of the large screen oil plug it even had OK in blue marker! Little stickers on every thing with initials and 'OK' and pressure reading for fuel pump test on gas tank, resistance range for fuel level also on a sticker.
Luck of the QC draw....

stevieboy

Country flag
It's interesting to note that on mine, no problems / 1 year+ / 3500 miles, there is a blue permanent marker 'OK' or marking on just about every bolt. I just changed the oil and inside of the large screen oil plug it even had OK in blue marker! Little stickers on every thing with initials and 'OK' and pressure reading for fuel pump test on gas tank, resistance range for fuel level also on a sticker.
Luck of the QC draw....

Or Russian roulette!

Major

Luck of the QC draw....

I have the same thing.

simpletty

Country flag
Yes mine also has the tender loving care markings of Pradeep Lakshit, my tender Indian factory worker. But alas its still broken