Jumping Rear Wheel

Bonarj

I just cleaned it using a degreaser and a chain lube afterwards. But still the problem persists. I thought it was just normal coz I already noticed it since the day I bought it. :( If it's tight chain link(s), how will I find that tight part? or should I replace the chain?

Last edited:

CDN Duke

Country flag
Probably too late if that's the first time you've maintained it. Your other thread indicated corrosion on some parts iirc. Likely need to replace chain and look after it better. However, if you say it happened from new, take it back to the dealer.

Thought you were returning the bike under warranty, where do you live? It's not something a buyer could do here in N. America very easily. Would need to go through Lemon Law process which would be challenging at best.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
It looks to me like your chain is worn. I'm ALSO seeing what LOOKS like a bent sprocket as I'm seeing (at least I think I am from the video) runout of the rear sprocket. It's difficult to tell for sure given the handheld phone video, but I'm seeing what looks like a distinct warp. This could lead to premature wear of the chain and sprocket.

To find tight links, put the bike in neutral with the engine OFF. keep the bike on the rear stand. Rotate the wheel to expose a given number of links on the bottom. Move the link up/down and check for tightness. Then the next link, and the next, and the next... until you've gone around the whole chain. You WILL find different amounts of resistance. Once the chain has worn, no amount of lube and tension is going to save it.

Chains are a high wear item on bikes. Get used to changing out your chain and sprockets.

If you aren't confident in your ability to diagnose the problem, go find another rider in your area (meetup or facebook group perhaps) who does their own maintenance and ask them if they can teach you how to maintain your chain. A sixpack often goes a long way towards that end.

Michelle

First thing I would do is stick a new chain on there ,, it looks bad ,, when I got my bike it had only done 570 miles and the factory one was knackered ,, peace of rubbish ,, I just put a good one on today..
How many miles has the bike done on that chain ??.

Last edited:

Bonarj

Yes, I am returning the bike. I'm still waiting for the dealer's reply on my demand for rescission. Well this issue bolsters my reason to return it.

Probably too late if that's the first time you've maintained it. Your other thread indicated corrosion on some parts iirc. Likely need to replace chain and look after it better. However, if you say it happened from new, take it back to the dealer.

Thought you were returning the bike under warranty, where do you live? It's not something a buyer could do here in N. America very easily. Would need to go through Lemon Law process which would be challenging at best.

Bonarj

Thank you for being keen on this. Yep the rear chain sprocket is also wobbling while it spins. According to the in-hose mechanic of the dealer, wobbling of a rear chain sprocket is just normal because of the rubber dampers in the hub. But i don't subscribe to that explanation though. Wobbling is never normal. The should have at least replaced those rubbers when I had the bike serviced. To date, the bike is still less than 1,200km odo reading and is just a little less than 4 months old with me since i bought it :(

It looks to me like your chain is worn. I'm ALSO seeing what LOOKS like a bent sprocket as I'm seeing (at least I think I am from the video) runout of the rear sprocket. It's difficult to tell for sure given the handheld phone video, but I'm seeing what looks like a distinct warp. This could lead to premature wear of the chain and sprocket.

To find tight links, put the bike in neutral with the engine OFF. keep the bike on the rear stand. Rotate the wheel to expose a given number of links on the bottom. Move the link up/down and check for tightness. Then the next link, and the next, and the next... until you've gone around the whole chain. You WILL find different amounts of resistance. Once the chain has worn, no amount of lube and tension is going to save it.

Chains are a high wear item on bikes. Get used to changing out your chain and sprockets.

If you aren't confident in your ability to diagnose the problem, go find another rider in your area (meetup or facebook group perhaps) who does their own maintenance and ask them if they can teach you how to maintain your chain. A sixpack often goes a long way towards that end.