ktm rc390 for "experienced" rider?

progjm25

I'm in the market for a new bike. Riding about 3 years now so I'd like to think I know more than a new rider. Started with a Ninja 250, moved up to a F4i then swtiched up for a Zuki Boulevard. Anywho, I'm no speed demon and mostly ride around town and local twisty roads on my own. On occasion, me and the guys will do a group ride getting on the highway to some set destination. I have a few questions for those who have ridden or own the KTM RC 390. How do you feel the power is? I wouldn't get a 250 again but I really don't need a 600; is the passing power good for highways? Does it feel comfortable on the highways (seat position) for a long ride? How does it handle on the twisty roads? I've read that it vibrates quite a bit. Anything else you can think about the bike please feel free to share.

JKBC

Mine doesn't vibrate. I've been on four cylinder bikes that were worse for that. It's fast for what it is. If traffic is heavy and you have many 4 lane roads where you live the view from the mirrors leaves a lot to be desired and is something you should be aware of and question a dealer as to any solution. The stock mirrors look great but I guess they're just too close together really for giving the view they should be giving.

guzz46

The powers fine, there's plenty for overtaking on the highway, I used to own big sports bikes years ago, but once the horse power novelty wore off after a few years or so I went back to smaller displacement bikes, in my opinion a 400cc (or there about's) sportsbike is all you need for the road, unlike 600cc and above sportsbikes you can actually nail the RC 390 in the first few gears without breaking the open road speed limit, and it's an absolute blast in the twisty's, handles like a dream.
The battery cover vibrated a little when I first got it, but I managed to fix that, now I don't notice any vibes at all.

It's the best bike I've ever owned, the best handling and the most fun to ride, but I'm sure you're aware that every one has their own opinion, so ideally you should try and take one for a demo ride.

Willasan

Been riding for about seven or eight years now, my RC is my fifth bike. I have it and a Honda Interceptor. I love it. It's a little fun toy, and every time I ride it I get a huge grin on my face. Much less serious than something bigger. It's no rocket, but it'll do fine passing on the highway. Mine doesn't vibrate worth speaking of, in fact vibrates far less than some bikes I've ridden. As far as twisties, it's a joy. For long rides and the seating position, it may not be the best. It's sporty. I don't mind it, but I'm young and I only ride it for fun. I have done a few 200 mile days on it. The stock seat was not comfortable for me, but the KTM Powerparts seat fixed that. The suspension is budget; especially the rear shock, although I'm enjoying it regardless. The fit and finish may be a bit lacking in the eyes of some, but you get what you pay for. The mirrors are crap. Replaced them with some CRG bar ends, and I can see much better. To me, it's a simple and extremely fun ride that was worth angering my wife to purchase.

corners

1.) How do you feel the power is?

Power is excellent.

2.) is the passing power good for highways?

No problem passing on the highways or the byways.

3.) Does it feel comfortable on the highways (seat position) for a long ride?

Get a Powerparts ergo seat. Lately, my average ride is 120 miles (w/ 1 or 2 stops).

4.) How does it handle on the twisty roads?

A very fun bike on twisty roads.

5.) I've read that it vibrates quite a bit.

It does vibrate when you're in too high of a gear and not high enough RPM. (i.e. lugging the engine)

There is a sweet spot where the vibrations are minimal in each gear.

You'll quickly learn to find and match these RPM/gears.

Be sure to tighten all bolts and screws, etc... of course the dealer should do that for you on setup

6.) Anything else you can think about the bike please feel free to share.

Can't see out the rearview mirrors but then again you should probably be keeping the red and blue out of the rearview :D

ArkansasDave

It's a great street bike after a few mods. I broke mine in on the street but will be racing it so keep that everything I'm saying is coming from a racer. I started out riding on the track with a liter bike and have made my way to the rc390.

New seat eat is an absolute must
mirrors are junk
rear shock is unbearable, jri makes a great shock for street riding.
GET A NEW SEAT!!!!
front brakes are pretty much has bad as all the reviews say.

I did a 200 mile trip and the only thing that bothered me was the seat. The riding position is fine, aggressive but not as bad as super sports.

JKBC

As you can see progjm25 opinions vary. The stock seat and rear shock work fine for me. Best thing I did to mine, for me...by far, was lowering it 30mm's but obviously anyone with longer legs wouldn't even want that. Front brake is powerful for street use and the anti-lock system makes braking on gravel no concern at all. I warned you about the mirrors in case you live in a multi-lane hectic urban environment because they could be deadly if you did a lane change and couldn't see there was a car or truck close by that you didn't see in the mirrors. Basically you get what you pay for and it's not like you're spending 18-30+ thousand dollars on it in the first place.

guzz46

As you can see progjm25 opinions vary. The stock seat and rear shock work fine for me. Best thing I did to mine, for me...by far, was lowering it 30mm's but obviously anyone with longer legs wouldn't even want that. Front brake is powerful for street use and the anti-lock system makes braking on gravel no concern at all. I warned you about the mirrors in case you live in a multi-lane hectic urban environment because they could be deadly if you did a lane change and couldn't see there was a car or truck close by that you didn't see in the mirrors. Basically you get what you pay for and it's not like you're spending 18-30+ thousand dollars on it in the first place.

I agree, the stock seat is surprisingly comfortable for me, except one ride I did which was about 2 and a half hours long, dead straight with no corners, and I was wearing a reasonably heavy backpack, my ass got a bit sore after about an hour and a half, the shock also works quite well for me too, it's no Ohlins but I can still ride it faster than any of my previous sportsbikes around the twisty's, so it can't be that bad, considering the bike is the least powerful bike I've owned in some 19 years, maybe I'm just the right weight for it?
The front brake on mine is great too, that seems to be a mixed bag, some people both here on this forum and motorcycle journalists think they're crap, and some think they're fine.

I did make a few tweaks to mine which improved it quite a lot, I got rear preload set for my weight, I raised the forks by 5-6mm, I got some stickier tyres and went with a 140/70 rear for some extra ground clearance, I also lightened it by 10kg.
I can't imagine owning any other bike, as far as I'm concerned it has no real competition in it's class, the CBR300, Ninja300 and R3 aren't track focused bikes like the RC 390, what would be great is if the Japanese started making their 400cc race reps again, modern versions of the CBR400RR, FZR400, ZXR400, and RVF400, but I can't see that happening.

guzz46

Do you guys not feel the soft initial travel and then the progressive spring turns into a rock?

Not really, it doesn't feel as plush as the Ohlins I put on my TL1000S years ago, but I wouldn't expect it to, the RC's suspension is better than my last bike, a 2008 Husky SM610, which I believe came with a Sachs shock and Marzocchi forks, but in all fairness it was 6 years old at the time, and a different style of bike, but I've ridden the same hills for 20 years on a bunch of different bikes, and largely as far as suspension goes (and my memory) they're all much of a muchness, barring the Ohlins on the TL.

ArkansasDave

Go sit on your bike and bounce up and down. Then you should feel the crap tactic shock. Don't get me wrong it's still a great bike just has some cheaper components. Since most people require at least a respring getting a new shock that is set up for your weight isn't too bad.

progjm25

Thanks for all the replies mates. I live in the northeast usa (new jersey to be exact). To be off topic quickly, it seems a lot of other countries are okay with the smaller displacements. Whereas here, there all this pressure and stigma that a 600 is the minimum to have. I personally, don't feel that way. Long as your on two wheels, I'll give you the two fingers down (we do that here in america to acknowledge one another, dunno bout you guys over in other countries).

As for the RC replies, I'll definitely look to take it for a demo ride. Seems mirrors are must and possibly rear shock. And the seat will have to be determined at a later time after riding. I'd like to get on the track one day, but I personally wouldn't know where to start. I'm not hanging off during my twisty sessions, just getting a nice little lean on. But those track days look FUN. Really, I'm just a quick ride around solo to enjoy the ride. I think the RC will accomplish that quite nicely.

guzz46

Go sit on your bike and bounce up and down. Then you should feel the crap tactic shock. Don't get me wrong it's still a great bike just has some cheaper components. Since most people require at least a respring getting a new shock that is set up for your weight isn't too bad.

I've done that plenty of times, I don't have any problems with it (I did when I maxed out the preload) but as I said before, I can ride it faster around the twisty's than any of my other bikes, and I'm not in a competitive racing situation where every tenth of a second counts, so I don't see the point in upgrading the shock, I'm not knocking people who have upgraded their's, I'm just speaking for myself.

ArkansasDave

It is definitely a fun bike and great to start doing track days on. Demo the bike and see what mods you want. For track days there is New Jersey Motorsport park in southern jersey not sure what organization runs track days there.

onethump

Its a fun bike. Its quick for sure, not FAST. It has decent passing power, but its a bike that if you want to be fast you have to drive flat out, full revs. Its fun in the twisties, you can give it full throttle on the way out of the turns and not have the back end step out and any angle as far as i've seen so far, and it'll keep up with bigger bikes in those situations, until there's a long straight. But its also fun in low speed turns, it changes direction really nicely, probably because of the light weight, but when riding through low speed inner city turns it just feels so good and fun and light, then you ram and the throttle and it makes good noises and engine breaking puts out nice pops and blurps from the exhaust. Ya, I like it. BUT its not 600cc fast.

JKBC

Do you guys not feel the soft initial travel and then the progressive spring turns into a rock?

Nope. The stock suspension is firm and actually handles bumps well enough for a sporty firm suspension...kind of similar to the KYB gas shocks I put on my truck.
I don't think you'll consider the aftermarket shocks are a must when you see they range from 800 to 1,500 US dollars retail...not for a small economical street ride.
I love mine. It makes Honda Civic's and Ford Fiesta's look like gas guzzlers and can still easily smoke most cars and trucks from 0-70 mph.
And it looks better than damn near anything too I think.

ArkansasDave

Nope. The stock suspension is firm and actually handles bumps well enough for a sporty firm suspension...kind of similar to the KYB gas shocks I put on my truck.
I don't think you'll consider the aftermarket shocks are a must when you see they range from 800 to 1,500 US dollars retail...not for a small economical street ride.
I love mine. It makes Honda Civic's and Ford Fiesta's look like gas guzzlers and can still easily smoke most cars and trucks from 0-70 mph.
And it looks better than damn near anything too I think.

At 20 miles on the clock I put a jri double adjuster rear shock on it.

TST Industries

OP,

I agree with everything mentioned here. The RC would be a fun ride, no question. However, given your questions and intended riding use, I would recommend you at least look into the 390 or 690 Duke. Every time I talk to someone who has ridden one as a public roadway joy machine, they can't compliment it enough. The 690 makes (claimed) 67hp, or 23 ponies more than the 390. Combine that with the more relaxed ergonomics (yet 'sporty' all the while), it may fit your needs very well. With 67hp, it doesn't have the 110+hp of the 600cc supersports, but does have a little more hussle for highway use. And to quote someone who recently returned from riding the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, the Duke was their favorite bike they've ever ridden there. Perhaps one of the major flaws with the Duke would be the lack of a windscreen for prolonged highway use, but I'm sure there are workarounds if that became an issue.

I'm not trying to persuade you against an RC necessarily, just trying to provide a different perspective than the other opinions provided thus far.

Anyone else care to comment on the pro's/con's of a Duke for the OP's intended use?

ArkansasDave

I agree the duke is a better street bike, the only benefit over the duke I see for the RC as a street bike is the ability to put a decent windscreen on it for only $60.

DCMoney

Country flag
The rear shock may be bad but its being over exaggerated by fast riders, you can ride the stock bike plenty fast.