New Member from San Diego - New to Motorcycles too!

SanDiegoBroker

I've had my license for 3 months and just bought my 3rd bike - brand new KTM 390. I've already got new parts on order to start modifying it. Any suggestions on what I should (or should not) do?

rc390.jpg

reenmachine

Country flag
Welcome!

What do you want to do with it? Commute? Track? Canyon carver? As a new rider there's really nothing you need to do to enjoy the bike. The first things I did were to install a fender eliminator and remove the pillion peg assemblies, which really cleaned up the appearance of the tail end. After that I replaced the windscreen with the taller version. I didn't feel I needed to do anything beyond that for the street.

Now mine's gradually becoming a track bike so I'm getting into suspension mods and some performance bits.

motoputz

Country flag
what happened to the other two bikes? For a new rider it really does not need modifying. I put a Vagabond license plate and turn signal mount on mine to clean up the look of the back end. I would recommend new pads for the front brake, something to give you better initial bite and over all better feel. Some one here might be able to recommend something. I am just riding around the performance of the front brake for another month or so until I put a full floating iron rotor on mine. If I was you I would leave it stock and spend my money on becoming a better/safer rider. Spend your money on protective gear and track days. As your skills get better you will know what you want upgrade.

SanDiegoBroker

I still have the other two. I bought a BMW 650GS before I got my license. Watched "Long Way Down" and figured it'd be cool to get into motorcycles. Turns out I'm not into dual sports all that much. Then, my friend let me ride his CBR which resulted in me getting a Ninja the next day.

I plan to make the KTM a track bike and will likely sell the other two. I haven't been on a track yet but here Chuckwalla is the place to go. If I'm lucky enough to get a ride in this weekend I may bring the odometer into triple digits, Ha!

Looking forward to sharing information, photos, and getting advice on here. Thanks for the warm welcome!

rc_Guy

Congrats! I'm also in SD and a newish rider had my RC close to a year but haven't put many miles on it... I normally hit up otay lakes area. Nothing crazy just cruise to get more firmilar with the bike. I recommend the power part seat. Pretty much all stock. I'll see you around SD!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

motoputz

Country flag
The KTM is a better entry level bike than either one of those two you bought. If you plan on doing track days and want to focus the bike to that task I would look at changing the front brake, shock, exhaust, forks, and body work; in that order. Brake Tech will have their 310mm Cast Iron rotors available soon for the 390. It will be vastly superior to the stock brake rotor at the track. Everything else you can work up to. Changing the shock will give you a better ride. The biggest benefit of changing the exhaust will be weight saving. You will have to change the fuel mapping when you change the exhaust. Forks can wait until your skill level surpasses their performance. If it becomes a track only bike then get the lightest body work you can with a full catch under tray.

That Chuckwalla track looks interesting. I will have to get there and Fontana so I can say I have ridden all of the tracks in California.